LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This year may see us having to have our first ever summer in Spain. If we are allowed to travel we're thinking of having a trip away from our Murcia region situated air conditioned apartment, and heading as far north as possible. For many years I've wanted to take the motorhome to Galicia. We've cycled the Camino Frances and Via de la Plata and walked the Camino Primitivo and ended up going through Galicia and loved the area.

Have any of you got any recommendations. We want to mountain bike or hike, so natural parks are our preference, although we would like to see some of the coastline, but think that will be busy, possibly in late July/August ?.

Thanks for any pointers.

If you've already done threads on this, please point me to the right direction. ??

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
We visited early in the season and some sites were not open but u wont be going early this year.
We had a great touring holiday along the length of the n/west and north coast and ventured inland as well. Plenty of free aires and no shortage of wild spots so just follow your nose. Potes is well worth visiting but not sure which province it's in.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We went a few years back, second half of August. Beautiful area, mostly ok, but O Grove and Sanxenxo were horrendous at that time!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Didn't vwalan tour around ther a couple of years ago ? If my memory serves me correctly?
its a bit like going home . have spent lots of holidays and winters in galicia.
not usually as warm as the med coast but a few years ago galicia had better jan feb etc weather than malago .
when i was younger get off the ferry at santander turn right and hug the coast. lots of surfing beaches .
my two lads loved it . for xmas we had their presents sent to a bar at playa la vega . spent xmas and new year there for years .
shame the bar is now a posh restaurant and the whole village as changed .
stopping there is a no go now . but it was great years ago.
but in galicia its always friendly , specially if you have a cornish flag sticker on the camper.
bit like brittany in france isnt french , galicia isnt spain. cornwall isnt england.
but forget the main roads enjoy the country lanes and drive careful its a great place.
also some interesting places inland if you visit the villages .

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We found search for sites app invaluable. Lots of great free or cheap places to stay in the area. Easy to find with the app. We paid a small fee to use it off line as well.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can still find snow on the picos even on the longest day of the year in june.
when we used to be catching the ferry at santander we parked a few miles away but over looking the picos in the distance. usually the night before we left at the end of april there would be a real good new covering with snow to be seen. we laughed and said it must be time to leave the snow is getting bad.
in truth inland spain can be very interesting avoid main roads enjoy the lanes and get on the routes don quixote took etc all good fun.
remember spain is a very high country. the average height of land above sea level is about 650mtrs thats almost half way up ben nevis . spain is a big country . have fun . just get lost in the beautiful country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back