Funny smell after stalling the van... (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all.
Have 2013 Peugeot Boxer 2.2 motorhome.
Last year when we where visiting Blackpool illuminations, driving along I managed to stall the van. When I restarted all was good, but I remember a horrid smell in the air as we started to move along - not quite sure how to describe it but the only time I have smelt something like it before was while in the KFC drive thru in the car!

Fast forward to today, managed to stall again at some traffic lights - all good and started to move off and the cab filled with the same horrid smell. It cleared after a few minutes and I am sure it wasn't just an exterior smell.

Has anyone any idea what it could be?
Richard

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had the same engine on our previous van, we used to get a nasty smell sometimes and I was later told it was the DPF regenerating. We get a similar "burnt clutch and rubber with extra dead fish" smell from one of our cars when the DPF regenerates.
I am sure I read that the regeneration process can lead to a drop in power and maybe that was why you managed to stall it. Normally, you would be driving along and not notice the smell.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I thought the dpf regeneration only happened above a certain speed/rpm...
Maybe you were in slow moving traffic in 1st or 2nd at high revs?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Exhaust fumes catching up with you Bad eggs!!? :oops:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
In my 10 year old diesel Saab the DPF regeneration smells like burning paraffin wax ( like when you use firefighters to start a BBQ). It happens every 300 miles or so. It does lower the engine power so in a heavy Moho that could cause you to stall it in traffic as your normal foot movement on the throttle would deliver less power. Stalling will probably abort the regeneration, and restart it a bit later

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Na
That's got to be a real emergency! ;-)
no, I had it checked out twice at the dealers. Older DPF system characteristic apparently

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back