Full Timer Insurance (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This 'fixed abode' business is plain potty.

BIG BROTHER doesn't like it .. you can fall below the radar.. that's why .. and without a bar code.. oops .. I mean post code, you can't be controlled.
When (not if) they start chipping us at birth then it might be possible.. :RollEyes: but by then I'll not be giving a monkeys..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
at the moment does anybody know of an insurance rejection. give a friends address for all things that need one make sure its in a cheap area. if people rock the boat someone will fall out . lifes only a game . play it with pleasure . if you dont move much then get a car n caravan . much cheaper than a expensive motorhome . the art of travelling is to move , or you arnt travelling . keep on trucking. :thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Mick

I can confirm that Sureterm Direct DO offer real full-timers insurance; I've just finished email chats with the Sales Manager on the subject (though even she had to check to see if they offered it).

Each quote is "tailor made" which makes it practically impossible to compare quotes with others.

BUT, if I understand it correctly, every time you apply for an insurance quote your details are posted to the insurance database. If you decide the price is too expensive and decide "not to be a fulltimer" to get a policy elsewhere they may query the database entry should you later claim.

On another RV forum where RV Full Timing Insurance is also being discussed a member makes the above entry which is my main concern and once you are in one of these data bases it is nearly impossible to get out.:Angry:

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
at the moment does anybody know of an insurance rejection. give a friends address for all things that need one make sure its in a cheap area. if people rock the boat someone will fall out . lifes only a game . play it with pleasure . if you dont move much then get a car n caravan . much cheaper than a expensive motorhome . the art of travelling is to move , or you arnt travelling . keep on trucking. :thumb:
:Confused: You on the waccy baccy?? :Confused:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
On another RV forum where RV Full Timing Insurance is also being discussed a member makes the above entry which is my main concern and once you are in one of these data bases it is nearly impossible to get out.:Angry:
That quote from the other forum is no different to applying for car quotes. I get quotes from numerous companies for car insurance every year despite not having owned a car since 2006.

They go in the bin.......unopened.

Everyone is on some database somewhere.

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Has anyone tried insurung abroad?

I'm currently looking for insurance for 12 months which it seems does not fall under some of your definitions of a "full-timer"

I'm on a 12 month contract that requires me to be in the UK for 10 days per month so the plan is to buy a cheap RV (@20K), rent out the house and travel through Europe and fly home for the shifts

Comfort were happy with this plan and quoted ÂŁ4100. (no laying it off over 10 months either)
That is the only company that will insure me under those criteria

Many companies blank refused because i am renting out my house!
Two companies (Sureterm and safeguard) have supplied reasonable quotes of about ÂŁ1100-ÂŁ1500 but require me to repatriate every 90 days which i guess is what I'll have to do.

Put this into context, when i did a similar thing three years ago with a boat in France I was quoted ÂŁ1000 for a "liveabord insurance" .
As the boat was in France it was suggested that i took out the insurance in France.
The result: "Liveaboard. No problem monsieur. That'll be €300"

In a bus i might be unlucky and write off the bus and another car so maybe a ÂŁ40K claim, yet in a boat i could rack up millions with a well placed crash!
So why the difference

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'm currently looking for insurance for 12 months which it seems does not fall under some of your definitions of a "full-timer"

I'm on a 12 month contract that requires me to be in the UK for 10 days per month so the plan is to buy a cheap RV (@20K), rent out the house and travel through Europe and fly home for the shifts

Comfort were happy with this plan and quoted ÂŁ4100.
I bet they were!! :whatthe:

Put this into context, when i did a similar thing three years ago with a boat in France I was quoted ÂŁ1000 for a "liveabord insurance" .
As the boat was in France it was suggested that i took out the insurance in France.
The result: "Liveaboard. No problem monsieur. That'll be €300"

In a bus i might be unlucky and write off the bus and another car so maybe a ÂŁ40K claim, yet in a boat i could rack up millions with a well placed crash!
So why the difference?
Exactly!

With many boats costing hundreds of thousands and some in the mega million bracket it certainly makes you wonder why.

Big difference though between €300 and what you were quoted from UK insurance companies. :Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Comfort were happy with this plan and quoted ÂŁ4100. (no laying it off over 10 months either)

well, it proves one thing, despite what they said, Comfort have no intention of offering affordable full time insurance .. why are we not surprised :RollEyes:

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I cant believe FOUR months have passed since the boss of Comfort Insurance posted on this thread and FAILED to answer any questions, now the question of fulltime insurance asside what does this say about them as a company ??? do they take this long to pay claims ?
Now come on Mr Comfort were all busy working extra hard in this recession so dont use that excuse, now grow some balls and face the music.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Just a thought - may I just enquire whether anyone has actually tried a genuine, proper, Lloyd's Broker?

Yes many Lloyd's service companies pop up almost everywhere and you will find online quotes for em direct and on eg Compare the Meerkat etc - but it all starts with the broker standing in the queue to see the actual Underwriter. (sometimes still a physical queue esp if they aren't a big broker and will therefore not have either regular pre-arranged appts or even telephone access.)

That's how originally people like deep sea divers and things like oil-rigs got insurance.
Whole process can be more or less a full-time job for months - if it is entirely new.

It ain't a simple process and it ain't gonna be cheap.

However if you go about it the right way - maybe by ringing round you can find an interested Lloyd's broker who will try and find an interested Lloyd's underwriter. Maybe someone already has - you simply have no idea whatsoever what Lloyd's will underwrite - or are already underwriting - until you ask the right people. Neither will a person such as I - many of my own past employers were Lloyd's brokers worldwide - but I didn't work in the Lloyd's broking divisions!!! Nob all like arranging cover with an Insurance Company!! Just be aware of it. Very discreet. Very gentlemanly. Very old-school tie. Almost pre-historic LOL - but don't ever say that for gawds sake.

The ordinary high street or on-line broker will not have this information, neither will he have access to it.

Last edited:
S

Strangers

Deleted User
I understand this thread is about FULL-timing. But if you ain't got it yet, then I presume you are not full-timing and have not been full-timing. And if that is the case, do you really believe you will full-time 365 days on the road if insurance was a lesser issue?

Many a forum is banging its head about full-timing insurance and, months ago, I had seen one claiming they are talking to insurers. No resolution in sight.

I wonder if the fact that only a miniscule number of MH owners are truly interested is the primary reason for the somewhat disappointing outcome (so far) of the collective forums' alleged negotiation with insurers. And how comes the more major MH clubs ain't got it sorted yet? Whatever, I am fully fed-up with insurers mirroring UK's bumbling and poor execution of anything that is new.

sedge suggesting of going to Lloyds is a good one. By accident I had, via a broker, but dang cannot remember who the broker was. Issue for me was I didn't like the 30K top wack MH valuation and there was no nice no-cost add-ons like breakdown cover blah blah. I felt I could do better with some compromise and did via one of the better known MH insurers. But unlike many on here I have a UK address (via my lad), and I will return to UK now and then anyways. I prefer that compromise to telling some porky pies to get the desired cover. In my view, what is the point if the insurer negates the insurance when I have to claim.

I watch this thread with continued interest.

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
0 yet :))
Hi everybody.
Glad i found this site, more so this thread.
50 year old chap, lost my wife to cancer last year, made redundant in march this year. I am now selling my home and planning to see out my days touring the UK in my Motorhome.Besides all the other hurdles i have come across about having fixed abodes. insuring the motorhome hadn't even entered my head yet, i had an idea it would be costlier and harder to insure than my car but not as expensive and as difficult, even bordering on the impossible. I will follow this thread with much interest.

scotjimland.

spot on with the post. the powers that be can't watch us if we drop out of THEIR system.

BIG BROTHER doesn't like it .. you can fall below the radar.. that's why .. and without a bar code.. oops .. I mean post code, you can't be controlled.
When (not if) they start chipping us at birth then it might be possible.. :RollEyes: but by then I'll not be giving a monkeys..

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Canned Heat, glad you found us. Plenty get over the insurance hurdle but you can see the problems highlighted in this thread. I'm sure you'll sort it. Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi this has just been posted on another site, anybody care to comment:

Our full time insurance was done through the camping and caravanning club. They had to write a special section into the policy stating that we lived full time in our motorhome, carried all our worldly possessions in it and did not own a property in the UK, (the only address we had was our daughter's house for postal purposes only).

We wanted to be absolutely certain that we were legally covered and that should anything untoward happen to our motorhome that we would be completely covered by insurance. (It is true that many fulltimers we spoke to whilst on our travels were not telling the whole truth about their circumstances.) Our premium was around ÂŁ1,200 per year

Olley

cushybutterfield

Free Member
Aug 28, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Full-timing Insurance

Hi Everyone,
Looking at the problem of getting full-time insurance, l started looking at the American companies that provide such cover, GMAC Insurance is one of them and in May this year GMAC acquired Provident Automotive Insurance Division UK, so l thought "shy bairn gets nowt" :winky: and emailed Michael J Dunklee, Associate manager of communications, GMAC Insurance, l asked if it was possible that the insurance they provide in America for full-timers could be provided in the uk now that they have acquired Provident,as this cover is near impossible to get in the UK. In his reply he said he has spoken to colleagues at Provident and the gentleman who deals with will be back in the office on Tuesday, he assures me that he will get back to me, so l wait in great anticipation!! :thumb: This is our biggest problem for going full-time, l hope that we get a solution soon. l will let you all know the outcome.

cushybutterfield

Free Member
Aug 28, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Full-timing Insurance

Sorry guys,
no good new on the insurance front, sorry for taking so long, as you probably expected l had to chase them up again and the answer from Provident is that does not have any plans to extend coverage to full-timers. So it looks like l will be staying at home for a bit longer:cry:So to cheer my self up, heading off to tockfield for a leather make-over, for the van not me:Doh: no more hairy pants when the husky casts:thumb: sorry l just love playing with these smiley's.::bigsmile:::bigsmile: On a more serious note, l wish someone could find an answer to this problem, insurance! not hairy pants:Doh: Before l get to old to go:Eeek: from a very frustrated Lynne

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on is there a problem . dont full time just spend alot of time in a m,home. get or rent some space in a house somewhere. then live there ,but holiday when ever you can.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Full Time Insurance with Comfort

We have been insured with Comfort since Nov 2006.

I contacted them about going Full Time and encountered no problems. We use our daughters address and have vehicles registered to that address.

We have paid an extra ÂŁ280 for going Full Time on top of our existing insurance premium.

We do not have to return to the UK for any periods or at set intervals. Maximum cover in any one country is for 6 months.

This took effect form 1st March 2010.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back