Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
It's been suggested to me that every now and again its worth filling up with a premium diesel. Does this really make a difference?

I always fill up at Sainsburys and supermarkets when in France, always using the cheapest. I don't mind spoiling the old girl now and again but only if its going to improve performance ;)

cheers Steve

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I always use BP have noticed a big difference, smoother running, more miles per gallon, that is legit, done on computer, I have a good engine VW and want to keep it that way, never use supermarket fuel, it is only a small amount of difference on a full tank, I wait until the gauge shows 3/4 full and just top up, I was recommended to use this fuel by VW mechanic, and for me it is better.

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Modern turbocharged common rail diesel engines probably benefit from it. Older mechanical pump turbo and n/a engines - I'm not so sure at all. Ours is not common rail (Fiat 2.8 i.d. TD) and I have accidentally filled it with the fancy stuff and noticed no difference at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Think it was Quintin Wilson who recommended putting ordinary diesel in, then every 5ish tankfuls put the high performance stuff in as this (he says) has added cleaning additives and nice things for the engine.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Horses for courses really. I ran my 3 litre multijet on premium stuff because the overall cost difference was not much and there was an increase in economy, but it was a remapped engine. Basically it will not do any harm and there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence to suggest it runs better due to the cleaning additives, but it is highly subjective. Once every few tanks seems ok - but I would point out that these engines are designed to run on the basic bog standard EN590 fuel that supermarkets and branded fuel stations all sell

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I seem to be 50/50 between supermarket and BP/Shell/etc. fuel with my little Fiat Doblo Multijet diesel, following the opinion on here and elsewhere that it's worth visiting the latter for the additives.

Having said that...with my old indirect-injection diesel Citroen AX I did > 330K miles using supermarket fuel pretty much all the time. Always did > 70 MPG. I reckon the engine would have still been running long after everything else had worn out if I'd kept it.

Never used premium. All of mine have effectively been car engines though, not van.

Edit: ooops....the OP was about premium vs. standard fuel, not supermarket vs. BP/Shell/etc. Sorry.

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Fuel produced to a given standard is the same, no matter what the retailer calls it.
As already mentioned, the EN number is the same.
It's not unusual to fill a tank at a refinery preceded by a tank from a fuel Company, then followed by one for Morrisons.
All the same product code, from the same silo.
Same stuff, marketed differently at different prices.
I use Morrisons fuel for my car (petrol), lawn mower (petrol) and the MH (Diesel).
On the odd occasion when I've been faced with using "premium" fuel at an enhanced price I've found no difference in MPG or performance generally.
Don't waste your money.
Fuel is fuel.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if your engine is designed to use premium fuel (cetane rating of 55 rather than 48 for regular diesel) then it will say so in the base vehicles owners handbook.

If it doesnt, then stick regular diesel in and save a few bob.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I buy standard fuel for MH and car, then once a year put some BG244 (diesel) or BG44K (unleaded) fuel additive in the tank to give the system a clean out. That definitely makes a difference to performance but it fades after a few thousand miles as the system gets gunked up again. With the MH it's worth putting it in the tank over winter when it's doing less miles so it's all clean and set up for the first long trip of the Spring.

Chances are your garage uses a similar product during the annual service anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back