Frozen Raw Dog Food

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
We can accommodate just over one weeks supply for our two standard poodles, that's 12kilos in a portable freezer plugged into either 240 or 12volt in the garage plus another 2kilos or so being defrosted. This works well for us in the UK and not too difficult to top up with our favoured brand (We Love Raw). Other brands are available but this is relatively easy to handle, good compromise on price and quality and the dogs love it. We have tried mixing with fresh pressed dried food although not with much success..
But thinking about EU travel maybe later this year, not sure how we would handle it.
Interested in others experiences. In particular
1. Risk of confiscation by les douanes?
2. Availability of raw dog food in EU, France and Germany?
Maybe this, with the passport hassle these days will persuade us that kennelling is a better option although that would be a real shame.

OP
OP
RobinE
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
Air dried raw.
eg Fresco - a German company, but they deliver to France
Used to be able to get it in the UK
Expensive but very good.

Dogs will eat when they're hungry

https://www.fresco.dog/trockenbarf
Thank you, that's interesting, it works out about the same price as good quality frozen Raw so not that expensive.
Yes, dogs will eat when they're hungry, but happiest when they have what they know and love.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
This subject has appeared a few times. It always seems odd that some dogs will only eat certain foods, a bit like modern day kids. When we had dogs they would have ate the can in order to get the food out quicker and they were not bothered where it came from or whether it had meat or not. Give your dogs a change. Continental supermarkets have a wide selection of dog food. They like their pets as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We found the process of getting an AHC from Abbeywell vets in Folkstone (all done online except for picking up the AHC day before travel) and obtaining a Belgian PP for our dog no hassle at all👍

OP
OP
RobinE
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
This subject has appeared a few times. It always seems odd that some dogs will only eat certain foods, a bit like modern day kids. When we had dogs they would have ate the can in order to get the food out quicker and they were not bothered where it came from or whether it had meat or not. Give your dogs a change. Continental supermarkets have a wide selection of dog food. They like their pets as well.
Thanks for your reply, I didn't intend to get into a debate about dog diets, this is probably not the place. Suffice it to say that our dogs are not fussy eaters, we just feed them on what we consider to be a healthy diet of raw food and scraps, and would like to continue to do that whilst away. I am sure that will be possible with a little research, hence this post.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks for your reply, I didn't intend to get into a debate about dog diets, this is probably not the place. Suffice it to say that our dogs are not fussy eaters, we just feed them on what we consider to be a healthy diet of raw food and scraps, and would like to continue to do that whilst away. I am sure that will be possible with a little research, hence this post.
No problem, but there are a lot of posts about what food to take and will we get stopped at the border etc.
When you have crossed to the Continent there are multitudes of supermarkets (all stocked to the rafters with fresh fruit and veg). There really is no need to bring anything more than a bit of travel food for eithe animal or human.
If you travel for a longer period filling the freezer will not be the best option.

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We do exactly the same - but not when travelling. Ours switch readily from raw to Lily's Kitchen when on the move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RobinE
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you, Jim. Not sure how I missed this, very useful.

OP
OP
RobinE
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
We do exactly the same - but not when travelling. Ours switch readily from raw to Lily's Kitchen when on the move.
That's good to know. I have found a UK supplier of good quality air dried raw food , Innocent Hound, which we are now trying

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back