Front screen condensation (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Morning all. First night survived but front screen has a lot of condensation...heater on and engine running but not clearing...any ideas or suggestions.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
External screen cover normally stops it from happening in the first place, but if we just use the internal Remis blinds and get condensation, then we use our Karcher window vac.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Those little Karchers are great, I don’t have room in our van (and we never have condensation thankfully) but I use one at home in the shower, they leave everything dry.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Our long version External Screen Cover [bonus is the Scuttle Cover protection to keep the blessed leaves out!] arrived on Thursday. Hoping that the wind will drop [not raining at present!] so that we can make a trial fit.

Steve

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I was recommended Rainbow Screens when I first got the motorhome, when i've needed to use them the difference in condensation or not has been 100%

So from personal experience and also seeing other makes i'd definitely recommend Rainbow, when I have used them and its rained it really does simply run off, think of the old gaberdine material. They are imho an excellent insulator as well, the cab area feels a lot warmer

Al

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Condensation is warm air inside hitting the cold windscreen and turning to water droplets.
You need to stop the glass getting so cold using thermal external screen covers.
Internal screens/blinds won't stop the glass getting cold.
BEING A BIT PEDANTIC: warm air can hold more water in vapour form than cold air. The cold glass ensures that water vapour returns to liquid = condensation! :giggle:

Gordon

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Put your air con on, usually clears it quickly, make sure engines running though(y)

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We use internal remis blinds and get condensation. Currently don’t do much cold weather camping so haven’t decided to invest in external screens, which obviously will get wet and need storing when not in use.
we simply use a micro fibre cloth to get rid of condensation. Find that it doesn’t leave smears like other cloths do.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
So in short without giving a physics lesson, if you can stop warm air coming in contact with the cold surface of the window you won't get condensation.

We have a "U" layout so comfort at the furthest point from the cab, we close off the cab by puling the over cab bed across and having 3 sections of plywood that slide into "U" shaped plastic trim, this totally seals off the cab, the interior temp is alway snug and warm and cab windscreen condensation free.

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I can’t stand condensation, it’s a real faff having to deal with a soaked screen when all you want to do is hit the road first thing in the morning.
The surplus runoff also worries me, a fair bit seems to escape down between the screen and dash where presumably lots of ‘leccy bits live which were not designed to have water sloshed over them.
I find an external screen solves this problem, even when sub zero outside.
I see you have a N&B so presumably a large screen (A class?) this will affect availability and price

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I’m looking for an external screen cover at the moment. Looking at Minster, Polar screens. Also considering the Taylormade ones.
Minster make a darker grey one now and that is the one I’m fancying.
Does anyone here have any thoughts on these two manufacturers? The price is around the same.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I’m looking for an external screen cover at the moment. Looking at Minster, Polar screens. Also considering the Taylormade ones.
Minster make a darker grey one now and that is the one I’m fancying.
Does anyone here have any thoughts on these two manufacturers? The price is around the same.

Can only comment on the Taylormade's as that is what we have, and the quality is very good, plus the pocket the goes over the rear top corner of your cab door is adjustable to suit if you have Remis cab blinds fitted or not.
Ours also covers the vents in the bonnet to stop drafts, and we have the privacy mesh on the center panel to let light in during the daytime.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I can’t stand condensation, it’s a real faff having to deal with a soaked screen when all you want to do is hit the road first thing in the morning.
The surplus runoff also worries me, a fair bit seems to escape down between the screen and dash where presumably lots of ‘leccy bits live which were not designed to have water sloshed over them.
I find an external screen solves this problem, even when sub zero outside.
I see you have a N&B so presumably a large screen (A class?) this will affect availability and price
Taylormade quote from £255+ Delivery, whereas our Ducato extra long cover that arrived on Thursday was £165+ delivery, so the difference for all that glass is not too bad!

Steve

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I’m not sure about the detail on the front of a N&B but Steve’s comment (post#26) about getting an extra long cover to close off any openings below the screen is a good one.
I‘ve got a humble Ducatto cab (designed by folks who have absolutely no idea whatever of rain) which has vents and a scuttle which bucket water direct into the engine bay

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I’m not sure about the detail on the front of a N&B but Steve’s comment (post#26) about getting an extra long cover to close off any openings below the screen is a good one.
I‘ve got a humble Ducatto cab (designed by folks who have absolutely no idea whatever of rain) which has vents and a scuttle which bucket water direct into the engine bay
I'd like to take credit for my brilliant foresight, but I phoned just before the Lincoln Show and was told that the Standard length covers were out of stock, with a potential 3 weeks or so delivery! 'Or, you can have an extra length version from stock, with the Scuttle Cover/Leaf protection for only £15 extra right away' ... And, being the big kid I am, I went into 'Now' mode ... :rolleyes: :LOL:

Steve

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Looking on the Taylormade site, the long cover was £165 and on the Minster site their long cover is £145. not a great deal of difference but Minster do a very nice looking dark grey version. I'll give Minster a ring in the morning.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back