Fridge quicky (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I always thought that a 3-way fridge had to be sealed at the back so that no fumes entered the interior when running on gas. When it's cold and windy there's a terrific gale blowing through the gap between the fridge and the cupboard, when you look through the gap you can see daylight (in the day!). Is that OK?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
In an ideal world ( and according to most fridge manufacturers installation instructions) the rear of the fridge should be sealed from the interior of the motorhome. The reality is that many older motorhome fridges were not installed correctly in the first place. What motorhome do you have?

D.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ours is a 2015 IH PVC which was fitted similarly to yours. On first habitation service we took back to IH for a list of warranty items and this was one. They admitted not fitting the draught proofing around the fridge casing at the front, and did fit some. At home we have had the vents off and fitted pipe insulation as draughts were still coming from behind the adjacent cupboard.
We still need to do more work as there is such a large area of free movement of air into the back of the habitation cupboards that the fridge does not work well in hot weather.

As a stop gap, when parked up and the wind was blowing the fridge exhaust fumes back in through the vents, I packed some bubble wrap in the gaps around the fridge from inside the van. Anything will do if you are not at home.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I always thought that a 3-way fridge had to be sealed at the back so that no fumes entered the interior when running on gas. When it's cold and windy there's a terrific gale blowing through the gap between the fridge and the cupboard, when you look through the gap you can see daylight (in the day!). Is that OK?
Our van is exactly the same. A gale blows round the fridge and cooker, was a waste of time having the heating on when we were on our way through France in November. We only go to warm countries so it's not an issue normally. I'm going to seal with armaflex tape round the back when I get the van out next.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The draught is unpleasant enough, more particularly it is the safety aspect that concerns me. I was wondering or worrying about carbon monoxide fumes blowing back into the van. I still think it a possibility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Autosleeper was the same, I took it back to the dealer who sealed properly round the fridge. After that we still noticed a breeze coming in but this was from the two vents behind the microwave housing.
Our latest van, a 20 year old Swift has a draught coming in from behind the fridge too, I will get round to sealing it one day.
But, when we had our Winnebago, there were no draughts coming in anywhere. Better built and more stringent quality control I suspect.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
2016 Trigano Tribute 670 pvc.

Then I would search out the installation instructions for your fridge off the www. Print them out then talk to your supplying dealer. It is a potentially life threatening issue of the fridge was burning poorly on gas and the wind was in the wrong direction. Seriously not acceptable in a modern motorhome.

D.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Ours is a 2015 IH PVC which was fitted similarly to yours. On first habitation service we took back to IH for a list of warranty items and this was one. They admitted not fitting the draught proofing around the fridge casing at the front, and did fit some. At home we have had the vents off and fitted pipe insulation as draughts were still coming from behind the adjacent cupboard.
We still need to do more work as there is such a large area of free movement of air into the back of the habitation cupboards that the fridge does not work well in hot weather.

As a stop gap, when parked up and the wind was blowing the fridge exhaust fumes back in through the vents, I packed some bubble wrap in the gaps around the fridge from inside the van. Anything will do if you are not at home.

We had that problem on our IH as well :(

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve heard of folk having a quicky on the washing machine, but never on the fridge. Surely,not enough vibration.:xgrin::xgrin:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We had that problem on our IH as well :(
We are also awaiting a repair of the fridge door which has had the soft rubber of the Door seal, shredded by a piece of fridge casing trim that is sticking out, looks as if distorted when fridge pushed back into outer cabinetry on install.
Southdown’s are doing a repair under warranty.
Do look at yours it is the lower edge of the hinge side which you can only see by lying on the floor with a torch.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been two attempts at resealing ours. In the end I sealed round the edges (round the door) with duct tape which was the same colour as the surround so it's not noticeable. Problem solved.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back