Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
So our Dometic RM7855L fridge works completely fine on 240V but not on gas. I've put in a brand new burner and jet assy and we have a nice blue flame. It ignites first time. I took it all apart again when it still wasn't cooling and made sure the pipe that goes from the burner to the silver regulator thing on the left was not obstructed. I put it all back together this afternoon but still no cooling of the fridge. Now, I know you're going to say, 'what about the flue - maybe it needs sweeping?' But on my 2011 Dethleffs Advantage you cannot remove the tee piece at the top of the flue because the screw holding it on is inaccessible. I can reach down through the top vent and feel it - but there is no way I can get a screwdriver on it. That said, I don't sense the flue is clogged. Any thoughts?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably is the chimney that needs cleaning. If you can feel the screw you should be able to undo it with a stubby screwdriver. We had a Hymer like that took me a good 2 hours to get the screw out and even longer to get it back in. They don't fit the T pieces on most of the big fridges now.

If you still can't get the screw out you will have to remove the fridge, to do it.

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Probably is the chimney that needs cleaning. If you can feel the screw you should be able to undo it with a stubby screwdriver. We had a Hymer like that took me a good 2 hours to get the screw out and even longer to get it back in. They don't fit the T pieces on most of the big fridges now.

If you still can't get the screw out you will have to remove the fridge, to do it.
Stubby screwdriver. Good idea! Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
When you say it ignites, does the flame go out after you release the button (unless it ignites automatically if course)

Does it have a thermostat either inside the fridge or in the flue assembly?

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
When you say it ignites, does the flame go out after you release the button (unless it ignites automatically if course)

Does it have a thermostat either inside the fridge or in the flue assembly?
It ignites automatically and stays alight. Yes, there is a lead that is attached to the side of the burner that I'm guessing is a thermostat (not the probe or igniter leads).

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just to clarify

It lights and continues to run on gas. But. The fridge doesn’t cool

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
No one has yet suggested taking the fridge out then turning it upside down for 24hrs - there might be an air block in the coolant

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I had a weird issue with my Tectower thing in the Hymer.

Travelworld changed the thermister, changed the cooling unit (which cost thousands) but eventually it turned out that the burner wasn’t big enough. Once it was changed for one with more oomph it’s worked perfect since.

It was fine on 12v and mains, so wasn’t the cooling unit but they insisted it was.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
The gas burner is only a heat source, the same as the 12v and mains elements.
It may be lighting ok but just not at full output.
As said, you need to rule out a blocked flue, but you also need to have full gas pressure at the jet.
Do all other gas appliances work well? Many have suffered from gummed up gas regulators, which result in reduced pressure.

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Hi
The gas burner is only a heat source, the same as the 12v and mains elements.
It may be lighting ok but just not at full output.
As said, you need to rule out a blocked flue, but you also need to have full gas pressure at the jet.
Do all other gas appliances work well? Many have suffered from gummed up gas regulators, which result in reduced pressure.
All other gas appliances are working perfectly.

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
I bought a small right angled ratchet screwdriver with the idea of reaching down inside the top vent and loosening the screw that holds the T piece in place on the top of the flue. However, it's totally impossible to get at the screw. You can't see it, you can only feel it and it's a good 6-8 inches down. I'm sceptical that there's a problem with the flue but what else can it be? The fridge/freezer work fine on 230V and as you can see, there's a good flame from the new jet and burner (100 quid!!!). Any thoughts? Oh and have I put the black and red cables in the right place on the Hea Tec box? Perhaps what I think is a good flame, is in fact not a good flame. Could it be a faulty silver box with the red marks? Finger is pointing to the position of the impossible-to-get-at grub screw holding the T piece on. Many thanks for your help.

IMG_4583.jpegIMG_4585.jpegIMG_4587.jpegIMG_4586.jpegIMG_4584.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The installation looks identical to the one where I the screw out, it did drive me nuts doing it but I got there in the end.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Id say it was the chimney .... I've had to clean mine out a few times and it always works way better afterwards.

If you have refillable gas i think if it gets a particularly dirty or oily batch it causes things like fridge to carbon up.

Strip it and clean it and i think your problem will be sorted

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Have you tried holding a mirror at the top angled down so you can see the screw?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
They don't fit the T pieces on most of the big fridges now.
Lenny HB do they just leave 'T' piece off of the original setup or have they made changes or alterations. In other words once we all manage to remove screw and 'T' piece is it safe to run fridge without refitting 'T' piece.????

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Oh and have I put the black and red cables in the right place on the Hea Tec box?
Pretty sure the pins are different sizes so you cant put in wrong place.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My t piece is no longer held on with a screw ...it stays in place without it and has done now some 18 months or more ...i can simply lift it off and on ...it slides on at least an inch on to the pipe so it isnt going anywhere

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny HB do they just leave 'T' piece off of the original setup or have they made changes or alterations. In other words once we all manage to remove screw and 'T' piece is it safe to run fridge without refitting 'T' piece.????
The T piece was original connected to the flue outlet on smaller fridges but with the big fridges with big vents they just vent into the cavity.
Just been out and checked mine it's an 8505 fridge/freezer and it has the T piece But I know others with the same fridge don't have it.
I wish I hadn't gone and checked it, the screw on mine is on the front side wouldn't even get a stubby down there, may be able to get a ÂĽ" ratchet drive if that's too big get a screwdriver bit welded onto a bar or heat up a screwdriver and bend it. Don't want to take the fridge out.

Might be worth ringing Dometic and see if they will give you an answer to if it's really required..

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
I would definitely clean the flue.

Another problem with the electrics is the Hea Tec multi switch. The switch, over time, is not a snug fit. I fitted a small wedge between the switch and unit to ensure the connection was good.

The Dometic Engineer advised me to fit the wedge. He carried a small bag of them and told me he had fitted numerous wedges over the years. Very knowledgeable guy and sorted my fridge issues out.

Clean the flue!

Toady

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi,
I would definitely clean the flue.

Another problem with the electrics is the Hea Tec multi switch. The switch, over time, is not a snug fit. I fitted a small wedge between the switch and unit to ensure the connection was good.

The Dometic Engineer advised me to fit the wedge. He carried a small bag of them and told me he had fitted numerous wedges over the years. Very knowledgeable guy and sorted my fridge issues out.

Clean the flue!

Toady
Any chance of a photo of the wedge fitted please, :pray2:
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back