Fridge not working on gas (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Come on Lenny HB...
#Whats it going to be...boy I got to know right now... Will you love me for ever.#...ooooooppose sorry I digress.
You started out saying that it was defo chimney and now you are saying gas pressure..... stay with us Lenny... what's it going to be... #I got to know right now.. chimney or gas will you love me for ever# Feck did I really say that ....sorry Lenny.😘😘😘😘😘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Come on Lenny HB...
#Whats it going to be...boy I got to know right now... Will you love me for ever.#...ooooooppose sorry I digress.
You started out saying that it was defo chimney and now you are saying gas pressure..... stay with us Lenny... what's it going to be... #I got to know right now.. chimney or gas will you love me for ever# Feck did I really say that ....sorry Lenny.😘😘😘😘😘
99% of the time its the chimney that needs cleaning, not my fault he's got got a :swear2: gas valve.:LOL:
Anyway he's got a nice clean chimney now. :giggle:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have moved the burner to one side, covered it then used the outer of a flexible car rear brake cable. Like that on a bike brake. Shove it up and down. Or get thick wire and spiral it then shove that up and down. The soot acts as an insulator and needs to go.
Last year after lockdown fridge wouldn’t light. Main controller failed? No. Solenoid stuck ? No. Gas arrived at burner as it came out when was nut loosened.
Some crap had reached the jet.
I used a butane gas can to blow backwards through the jet Hooray it worked.
Just 5 days later on ferry 👍

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I had a "decent" blue flame on my fridge, but it wouldn't cool. I removed the burner and cleaned the jet (bit of rusty dust inside the gas delivery pipe) and once it was back together, it had a distinct roar which it didn't have earlier and it started cooling again.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Have had same problem in the last 18 months. Low non roaring flame. Poor fridge etc. Cleaned flu and new jets. Ok for a bit then poor again. I’m 99% certain now that this is fine rusty dust which dislodges from the gas inlet pipe and settles in the tiny burner jet. Reassembled it usually goes ok and then next day, back to the same maybe. It can work all right for longer but eventually it’s the same again. As everything else is clean or replaced, it’s the only answer left. It’s going to be a new gas inlet pipe for me for sure.

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Come on Lenny HB...
I'm certainly learning a lot about the fridge but it's a real puzzle. Got to fix it because a replacement won't fit through the hab door!
99% of the time its the chimney that needs cleaning, not my fault he's got got a :swear2: gas valve.:LOL:
Anyway he's got a nice clean chimney now. :giggle:
Problem Solved! It was the gas valve!! A few taps with the end of a screwdriver and the flame picked up and it now 'roars'. I don't know whether the gas valve is serviceable but a new one is £140.

Thanks to everyone for your help, suggestions and input.

Here's the culprit...

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 53
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I'm certainly learning a lot about the fridge but it's a real puzzle. Got to fix it because a replacement won't fit through the hab door!

Problem Solved! It was the gas valve!! A few taps with the end of a screwdriver and the flame picked up and it now 'roars'. I don't know whether the gas valve is serviceable but a new one is £140.

Here's the culprit...
Glad it’s fixed I had the problem of changing a fridge but too big for the hab door. Then realised there were 2 big ones at the front. Turned seat and loads of room 👍

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Worth knowing. I checked ours today, having seen this thread. The burner can be heard roaring on ours when stood outside of the vent, and surprisingly it did run considering the sideways, and backwards list to the van when sat on storage plot.
Regards.
Mike

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003

Here's the culprit...
I had the same problem with the fridge in my previous van. There are seals within this solenoid valve which stick if the fridge isn't used on gas for a while. A few taps with a spanner usually works.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Oh well that's a bonus for us "wilders" my fridge don't know what leccy is..... ALWAYS on gas...

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
With you on that. The best settings for us - including Caravan & Motorhome Club CLs, have always been the off-grid ones.
Yep absolutely... but unfortunately for us even non leccy CL/CS's are becoming a rarety.

Pooh

Free Member
Feb 12, 2019
Woking
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 1998
As Oldgustaf has got his problem solved, I wonder if I may hijack this thread with a Dometic problem of my own. I have the RMT 7651 L similar to Oldgustav's. My problem is that my fridge works on 12v and 240v but won't start on gas. When I switch it onto gas at the control panel it flashes yellow but the igniter doesn't spark. I have replaced the complete igniter/sensor unit as I thought that this was my problem but its still not working. I have a Bullfinch external gas outlet tee'd off from the back of the fridge. I plugged my Cadac in and it worked so there is gas getting that far and I have blown out the jet with compressed air so no rust there. I wouldn't have thought that this has much to do with why the igniter isn't sparking though. Any thoughts please?

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

Is this similar to your problem?

Pooh

Free Member
Feb 12, 2019
Woking
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 1998
Thanks SandraL. That is my problem. I will try the fix mentioned and see if it works?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
So our Dometic RM7855L fridge works completely fine on 240V but not on gas. I've put in a brand new burner and jet assy and we have a nice blue flame. It ignites first time. I took it all apart again when it still wasn't cooling and made sure the pipe that goes from the burner to the silver regulator thing on the left was not obstructed. I put it all back together this afternoon but still no cooling of the fridge. Now, I know you're going to say, 'what about the flue - maybe it needs sweeping?' But on my 2011 Dethleffs Advantage you cannot remove the tee piece at the top of the flue because the screw holding it on is inaccessible. I can reach down through the top vent and feel it - but there is no way I can get a screwdriver on it. That said, I don't sense the flue is clogged. Any thoughts?
Hi there Oldgustaf,
I once had a problem with my fridge not cooling on gas, it was the first time I went to Morocco, we were on our own so didn’t know where to go to sort it and was convinced that it wasn’t the flue as I’d had the habitation check before I went AND I paid £55 extra to actually have the van serviced Not just checked, but when I found a caravan workshop in Agadir the fitter (French guy) insisted the only thing it could be was the flue, I argued that I’d just had it serviced but he was adamant, Now, my van was only 2 years old when I asked for the fridge to be serviced, but my thoughts are the unscrupulous dealer thought to himself this van is as new the fridge don’t need servicing yet, but what he didn’t realise was I use my van a LOT, and rarely if ever use ehu unless it is automatically included in the fees, so I am usually camping off grid, well to get to the point when he stripped it all and cleaned the flue /burner etc, there was a fair bit of soot from the flue, and he said there was no way it had just been serviced prior to that trip, So, having watched him intently as I do, I service it myself at least once a year sometimes twice, I know exactly where you are coming from regarding the little self tapping screw on the tee piece, it’s a real pig to access on some vans, it’s fairly on my Hymer, but on my Adria you will have to do what I did on mine and a few friends vans, pull the fridge out 3or 4 inches, it’s fairly easily when you’ve done it a few times, First depending on your diy abilities, disconnect the gas supply pipe at the rear of the fridge leading to the burner, then inside the van on either side of the fridge you will see some plastic buttons covering the heads of the screws which hold the fridge in it’s recess, they are lonnng large self tappers screwed straight into the outsides of fridge cabinet walls, remove them, ( usually 4 ) and manoeuvre the fridge out towards you ONLY about 4 to 5 inches which should be enough to get a short stump Phillips screwdriver onto the T piece screw you might want to put a little releasing oil around as it is a bit tight and a pig to reach Down to, you probably know the rest cover the burner with a little plastic bag to stop any soot on it, you may as well replace the jet whilst you’re at, unless it’s a newish van, Now when you’ve removed the copper spiral hanging down inside the flue it just hooked on the top of flue pipe clean it off, it’s usually a good indicator of how sooty your flue might be, make sure you replace it when you cleaned the flue, regardless of people telling you that you don’t really need it, rubbish, it was put there for a reason, when you come to refitting the T piece you’ll find like when you removed it , that it’s a fairly tight fit, hence I never refitted the little screw and never had a problem with the T piece ever dislodging itself, nor did I ever have to pull the fridge out again it was simply a matter of fridge vents off twist off T piece, take note of the way it’s facing when you replace, make sure when you reconnect the gas supply pipe that you test it’s gas tight (soapy liquid) and Bobs your teapot, from then on clean it out every season, I’ve never had a fridge problem since but I’ve sorted quite a few folks flues out, if you don’t feel up to take it to a caravan/ Motorhome workshop and insist they clean the flue, almost 99.5% that’s your fridge not cooling problem, sorry it’s a bit long winded, hope it helps you.

Pooh

Free Member
Feb 12, 2019
Woking
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 1998
Thank you again SandraL. I wriggled the connection to the ignition unit and the igniter started sparking and the fridge roared into action. The fridge is very rarely used on gas so the connections had probably coroded up so I will turn it on and off at regular intervals now to keep it in good condition.

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Hello Oldgustaf , I’ve been reading your thread with a lot of interest. weve been having similar problems with the dometic fridge in our Hobby. Initially it was taking an age to get it to ignite on gas, but now it won’t ignite at all. the Engineer we usually use came out and confirmed it was most likely to be the gas safety valve at fault and said he’d try to get hold of one for us, but he didn’t know if they still produced them for the model we had 😱. This was in January, he still hasn’t appeared with said valve. He isn’t answering our calls, but this isn’t entirely unusual for him to be honest. We really want to get it sorted before the summer so I’ve contacted Hobby GBI Ltd and they are trying to source the valve for us. The one we need is slightly different to yours, but I was wondering where you had bought yours from, in the hope that they might be able to help us too, if Hobby GBI aren’t successful? 🤞🤞🤞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back