Fridge / freezer Not working , Help please. (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Hi, We have a Electrolux AES II / Dometic 6505 fridge freezer which we are looking for assistance with, please any advice gratefully appreciated.
We cannot get the fridge / freezer to work on gas , 12v or ehu. 9 times out of ten it will not even click or attempt to start, green light on control panel but not cooling, have exposed the igniter and cleaned flu and surrounds, none of this has helped still nothing? Control panel still shows all operational and no fault.Really confused by it all and expecting a big bill :cry:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If possible give it a good shake might be an airlock
I can only think these suggestions only come from people who have never tried to remove a fridge

or do you mean shake it in situ? Having had to change a fridge it was a complete bitch to get out, ours was a tech tower to be fair, even more challenging

Removing must be the absolute last resort every time for me šŸ¤”šŸ‘

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
A little more info, our mh is parked on our drive which is slightly downhill and have read that the mh needs to be level for the fridge to work, is this true? anyway we put on ramps and the attached the ehu and opened gas bottle and switched on the fridge and within seconds clicking noise and we both thought well that must be it, but no, not cooling. and now when we switch it on no clicking noise, so back to square one.:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bit confused why you turned it off again when it fired up šŸ¤”

Maybe leave it on for a while , I would think it will take an hour or so to start getting cold, although the freezer should feel cooler more quickly šŸ‘

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
How long have you waited for it to cool? It can take a good hour or more on some fridges.
If on EHU and set to mains after around an hour take outside vent off and feel the heater element insulation around the pipe is it hot?

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
On EHU it should run on 240v, it sounds like it's trying to fire on gas which means there is no 240v getting to the fridge. Is the leisure battery fully charged?

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Bit confused why you turned it off again when it fired up šŸ¤”

Maybe leave it on for a while , I would think it will take an hour or so to start getting cold, although the freezer should feel cooler more quickly šŸ‘
We have been trying to get the fridge to work now for over a week now and have left on for days on end after hearing the clicks, but not cooling, when we first purchased the mh I tested it on our drive and within 2 hours the freezer was freezing ice cubes, so just assumed all was well, went away for a week and fridge didnt work at all and had to throw most of our food out.

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
On EHU it should run on 240v, it sounds like it's trying to fire on gas which means there is no 240v getting to the fridge. Is the leisure battery fully charged?
Thats what I have read also, that it should run on 240v, leisure battery showing 14v on control panel when on ehu

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
How long have you waited for it to cool? It can take a good hour or more on some fridges.
If on EHU and set to mains after around an hour take outside vent off and feel the heater element insulation around the pipe is it hot?
I cant set it to mains as its an automatic energy selector fridge, I can only switch off the gas and try to make it work on 240v which I have tried.

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Yes it's open.
I'm led to believe that the fridge freezer must always have a 12v connection to work, if this is correct could the lack of firing up be caused by a bad 12v connection? Some of the connections do look a little rusty .. but whats confusing is that the panel states no faults?

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Sounds like a fuse. Yes it does need 12v to operate
It should automatically work on mains if connected.
Your going to have to take the bottom fridge vent off.
Check to see if the chimney is getting warm.
Unplug the ehu.
See if the gas has lit, if it has it should be making a roaring sound.

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Update, I had my suspicions on some of the wires and connections bit rusty, so gave them a clean and moved one of the wires slightly and it started sparking, so turned on gas and hey presto igniter lit.. So, how now do I know if its gone onto ehu? do I now turn the gas off to enable it to do this or do I leave the gas on and when it reaches temp it changes over automatically? Is there anyone out there who also has this fridge freezer and can explain to me the workings of it?

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Update, I had my suspicions on some of the wires and connections bit rusty, so gave them a clean and moved one of the wires slightly and it started sparking, so turned on gas and hey presto igniter lit.. So, how now do I know if its gone onto ehu? do I now turn the gas off to enable it to do this or do I leave the gas on and when it reaches temp it changes over automatically? Is there anyone out there who also has this fridge freezer and can explain to me the workings of it?
There is no mains electric getting to the fridge, if there was the gas wouldn't ignite.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
any ideas as to why it's not recognising the ehu connection?
Are there other 240V items in the MH that are working, to confirm the EHU supply and wiring is operational?

You can usually get access to the back of the fridge by removing the lower exterior vent. In the lower corner you will see a pipe surrounded by insulation inside a metal can. The mains 240V element, the 12V element and the gas flame are all inside that. There will be a pair of wires to each element. Trace the wires back, they usually go to terminal blocks.

Does the 240V power reach the connections? If it does, the 240V element has failed. If it doesn't you need to trace back to find out why.

There will be a coolant pipe coming out of the top of that insulation can. Whatever heat source is selected, that pipe should be hot, so you can easily tell if the flame/element is having any effect.
A little more info, our mh is parked on our drive which is slightly downhill and have read that the mh needs to be level for the fridge to work, is this true? anyway we put on ramps and the attached the ehu and opened gas bottle and switched on the fridge and within seconds clicking noise and we both thought well that must be it, but no, not cooling. and now when we switch it on no clicking noise, so back to square one.
If the fridge is tilted enough to cause a problem, the coolant stops circulating properly. The heat (element or gas) carries on heating. You can feel the pipes as above to see if you are getting any heat.

It has to be out of level by 5 degrees before there's a problem. Once when we parked on a very sloping drive, the fridge stopped working. When we levelled it with ramps, it still wouldn't work. After a 100 mile drive, it worked fine, and has been OK ever since. I presume the swaying and vibration got the circulation going again.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Peskyrabbitt. We had one of these AES F/Fs in our old Hymer. There is no way of selecting the power source manually. So, with the unit running on gas, and with an ear to the lower vent, get someone to plug into the EHU. Immediately, you should hear the gass turn off, and the unit switching over to mains with a loud click. After a while feel for heat from that 240v element pipe described above by autorouter, and check the light on the F/F panel.
Again, with the mains unplugged and the unit running on gas, start the engine, and the unit should automatically switch over to 12v from the alternator D+ supply. Again, after a while, check for heat from the 12v element pipe, and check the panel light. Once happy all is working, turn the engine off, and time 15 x minutes on your watch, whereupon you should hear the gas ignite again automatically.
If you don't have the correct manual for that unit, a search of the Internet may prove fruitful for you.

Panel lights (from memory) should be as follows.....
On mains = Green. Red = fail.

On gas = Green with Amber. Red = fail. Flashing Red = no gas.

On 12v = Green. Red = fail.

Good luck getting it sorted, though I have to say, that those earlier Electrolux units were very reliable. Unfortunately they are now obsolete and spares are becoming scarce

Cheers,

Jock. šŸ˜€

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Hi, We have a Electrolux AES II / Dometic 6505 fridge freezer which we are looking for assistance with, please any advice gratefully appreciated.
We cannot get the fridge / freezer to work on gas , 12v or ehu. 9 times out of ten it will not even click or attempt to start, green light on control panel but not cooling, have exposed the igniter and cleaned flu and surrounds, none of this has helped still nothing? Control panel still shows all operational and no fault.Really confused by it all and expecting a big bill :cry:
Hi, I had an identicle problem with my elderly Dometic 682, changed the ignitor board, still the same,...chase the fault back to the 'eyebrow' card or as sometimes called the 'optical' board. This the cisplay card on the front of the fridge, and should contain the 12/240v, gas switch, and temp slider. A Small squirt of wd40 into the temperature slider switch, and hey presto,...now working ! .
As stated by another contribution...only remove the unit as a LAST Resort !
Hope the wd40 works for you,...if not, check that the earthing leads have good continuity, there should be 1 on each control board, and on the gas burner unit,....Good Luck !

JoseJu

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Cambridgeshire/Malaga
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Hi,
I had similar problem. Mine it was not working at 12 v; I tried many things but not put out. At the end, after running the car for less than 10 miles I triend again to switch on the 12 v and works!! So, my problem was the main battery. It was parked weeks without use.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If its working on gas you know the liquid cooling circuit is ok
If its not working on 240v check 240v in and then at the 240v heater both sides of its plug or connection as they can cause loss of 240v

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I would like to thank everyone who has replied on this thread, the wealth and knowledge and helpfulness on here is what makes this site worth the Ā£!5 joining fee alone.
Late last night we managed to get the igniter lit and left running on gas for a couple of hours, heat coming from top vent and freezer was cooling up nicely, suspected wiring corrosion not sure about the fridge yet, more time needed., will take onboard what everyone has said and will investigate more today.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Just had exactly the same fault worked on electric not on gas.
It was the gas burner jets blocked
New burner and fixed it šŸ˜Š

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Currently working on the fridge, as stated in previous post now working on gas and switches off when I start the engine then restarts on gas 15 minutes later, albeit had to move igniter slightly as was not lighting gas. issue seems to be 240v ehu when I have running on gas then switch on ehu nothing happens just stays on gas, so tracing 240v wires to see if there is an issue.
In reply to autorouter question regarding 240v getting into van yes it does as we were lucky enough to borrow a mini 240v fridge freezer whilst away on a CL and it worked perfectly.
Forgot to say issue so far has been loose wires or corrosion on connections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Sounds like you might have a stuck / faulty relay not switching over?
Ah right.. well just finished cleaning up all connections and firing nicely on gas, attached ecu and there was a click (attempt) but nothing more than that and just continued on gas so will replace the relay and see where that takes me!

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Ah right.. well just finished cleaning up all connections and firing nicely on gas, attached ecu and there was a click (attempt) but nothing more than that and just continued on gas so will replace the relay and see where that takes me!
Hi there.. just came back from a walk with the dogs, left fridge on (gas) to cool and came back to red flashing light! Checked gas (hob working) and plenty left. Tried to re-start the fridge and nothing.. no gas coming through? Any ideas on what would of stopped it working and why the gas is no longer coming through?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back