Fridge dilemma (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
After being parked up in Portugal for a month and the fridge working fine , we noticed everything defrosting so called a mobile repair man he said the fridge was done and not repairable although it had a good flame .so I contacted a dealer in uk who said the same .he gave a rough price of about Ā£2000 but would come back to me with a definite price ,a week later I am still waiting but in the mean time switched the fridge back on (after a week) and would you believe it seems to be working fine nowšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. What do you think is going on , should I go ahead with the fridge replacement or wait and see what happens?. What would cause this , has it happened to anyone else and if so how long did your fridge last?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our fridge lost its gas about 6 years ago, the ammonia smell was very obvious, we were told they canā€™t be regassed so bought a new fridge

Ours was a tech tower including oven in the same unit, we opted to go for a much bigger fridge and no oven

I would have thought that any other component would be replaceable and if still working it must have gas šŸ‘

Best of luck

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Most probably some damp in the control pcb that's shorted it out and subsequently dried whilst not in use.
We used to put axtowel over the front panel at night as it was too bright. Caused a similar problem. Damp on the pub control board .dried out and cleaned it was OK. Invariably the towel we used was damp to some degree.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Turning the fridge off and then on again would have caused a reset , if it happens again there should be a fault code available that may help find the source of the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Turning the fridge off and then on again would have caused a reset , if it happens again there should be a fault code available that may help find the source of the problem.
Thatā€™s the strange bit no fault codes just not coolingšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Seriously H, I know you love that van and love chasing the sun so why not invest in some lithium and a compressor fridge šŸ‘šŸ‘ keeps the beers coolšŸ‘šŸ‘
I do love this van but I also love the little bit of money I have šŸ˜‚ so if can get away with not spending any of it life would be good anyway I like warm beer šŸ˜‚

helenastott

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 100
After being parked up in Portugal for a month and the fridge working fine , we noticed everything defrosting so called a mobile repair man he said the fridge was done and not repairable although it had a good flame .so I contacted a dealer in uk who said the same .he gave a rough price of about Ā£2000 but would come back to me with a definite price ,a week later I am still waiting but in the mean time switched the fridge back on (after a week) and would you believe it seems to be working fine nowšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. What do you think is going on , should I go ahead with the fridge replacement or wait and see what happens?. What would cause this , has it happened to anyone else and if so how long did your fridge last?

helenastott

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 100
I fitted a small 240v compression fridge 46L(Ā£90 new)0nly 50w and it is not noisy Works far better than the absorption fridge, particularly in hot climates! I use frozen bottles until I get to the campsite hook-up.
I will get round to fitting a 12v inverter and use the 12v cable from the 3 way system. This will provide cooling when the engine is running.

tes

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Mine as you know packed up in Cyprus, had to buy a new 1. Ā£1500 later now that hurts!!!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
At the last hab check I was told the fridge 12v system wasn't working - strange as it was before it went in - and that it was probably the PCB which of course are now unobtainable. Like OP was quoted up to Ā£2000 to replace. Decided we could manage for now without but thought anyway I'd have the fridge out and check fuses, connections etc. Put it back and it all worked fine!

Couple of months later we're on our way south, second attempt at our winter break, when we discover the fridge gas wouldn't light up - well it did but immediately cutting out again. Suspect the flame sensor and tried adjusting to no avail but of course cannot get one in France or Spain. So as a temporary measure we bought a 12v freezer/cooler box which is working out fine although it does get in the way a bit. 240v and 12v both working fine of course. If we use hookup all the time no problem but that's not our way.

I'll order a new sensor/igniter on my way home and hopefully that will work okay. I DID spot a PCB on Ebay but they wanted over Ā£500 for it! If the sensor doesn't work I may just take a punt at a replacement PCB. As an aside does anyone know if they are repairable, say Appuljack?

Ā£2000 for a new fridge? No way!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have thought about what I would do if my fridge failed and I think I would get a 12 volt compressor fridge. I have a portable compressor fridge/freezer in my day van, it works all day from the vehicle battery and is set to cut out if the voltage drops but it never has. I think a 12 volt fridge would run on solar during the day and the leisure battery overnight although I would expect to have a upgrade it possibly lithium but still less than a 3 way fridge/freezer

Apr 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Flash
Mine stopped working on all 3 sources. The light was on showing the fridge was working but in fact it was'nt. The detective work started and eventually I found a small thermistor in the frige ( attached to the steel fins at the top). This was replaced and it works perfectly now. Thermistor is a plug in type inside the fridge and they cost about Ā£25 for a Thetford one. Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back