Fridge dead advice please (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
My 17 year old Dometic fridge does not work on 12v 240v the selection lights for both lights as they should, gas it does not even try to ignite selection light flashes .
I've not looked yet to see if the heating coils are hot the cooling fins are attached, nor looked at the gas jet.
With that in mind am I missing a trick, is there a 12v fuse that controls it, I have looked and can't find one ?
Options engage a repair man to be told oh it's that but as it is so old can't get one.
Look for a used fridge that may have it's own problems
Buy new possibly absorption.
I mostly off grid and use gas.

Any ideas most welcome.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I think you will have a 12v feed to the fridge, low power one, that allows the fridge to operate. This is not the 12v supply that cools the fridge. You need to check if this is carrying the 12v. It will be a fused power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
I'll have a look for fridge leaflet (hand over it's all there mate in the folder) will give me model number, and I do have a fuse board diagram which is in German but mein Deutsch ist schlecht, Fingers crossed it is a fuse. Of course if it is why is the next question.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
does not work on 12v 240v the selection lights for both lights as they should,
Does that mean that the 'selection lights' do, or do not work as they should?
(The sparse punctuation doesn't help to make it clear).

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Yes they come on with power selection, so it is getting 240 on hook up and 12 with engine running. On means all ok with source, flashing not connected.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Yes they come on with power selection, so it is getting 240 on hook up and 12 with engine running.
O.K. understood.

On means mains all ok with source, flashing not connected.

Do you mean that on means mains the 'Source' light is illuminated but flashing to indicate that it isn't connected to the mains (i.e. the EHU)?

I don't understand the 'source.....flashing not connected' references .... as to me 'not connected' contradicts where you said: ' so it is getting 240 on hook up and 12 with engine running'. Is it connected and getting 240v and 12v or not?

Last edited:

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
The
I'll have a look for fridge leaflet (hand over it's all there mate in the folder) will give me model number, and I do have a fuse board diagram which is in German but mein Deutsch ist schlecht, Fingers crossed it is a fuse. Of course if it is why is the next question.
Fridge model should be on a label inside the fridge compartment, if not remove the bottom vent and you should find it there.

Cheers
Red.

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
It is a RM 7275-L and unknown to me an absorption fridge. I'll check the fuses later, (it involves taking the the wardrobe floor out, not a good job with cracked ribs).

Many thanks for the help so far, I'll be back if fuses all ok, fuse 5 and 11 on the Calira wiring diagram.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Hopefully you wont need it but the replacement for your unit is

RMS 8405 80 – 821 x 486 x 568 AES Wheel arch model. Specify left or right hung.

Replacement charts at bottom left of page.

Cheers
Red.

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
That was a lot of pain for no gain. My wiring and fuse layout diagram has no relation to the unit fitted. All fuses in the fitted unit good and healthy but changed anyway with new ones.
I'm guessing there is a 3amp fuse somewhere that may be the problem or indeed the fridge PCB gone wrong.
To recap - select 240v and the indicator flashes, plug in EHU and it shines bright.
Select 12v light blinks, start engine shines bright.
Select gas it flashes but no clicking to ignite.
Power selection works but instruction to the fridge does not?

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
It would be worth checking/cleaning the ground connection (black cable) on the gas burner as it could be corroded which would stop the ignition sparking.
I think that the 12v and 240v systems should be working ok if their light shines steady when selected ,( when their power sources are available.) is the temp. control set correctly ?

Last edited:

Deleted User
I'm sorry, but I can't contribute much at the moment, although we have a similar problem. Power through to the fridge no problem (interior light on and green lights on panel), but not cooling on hook up nor gas. Freezer is working on gas, but not hook up. Nothing working at all on 12V.

The van is going back to the dealer on Wednesday for snagging, fridge included. I will report back here with what they find.

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Had a long text rally with Dometic, suggesting things, testing things - no heater pipes do not get warm and yes fins attached.
Suggestion is the PCB is the culprit sadly no longer available from Dometic. I need to get it out and have a good look, maybe a simple fix. To get at it I need to remove the fridge, and there lies a problem with broken ribs I can't do much in the way of manual labour. I've 4 weeks until we are out in it again, may just bite the bullet and get a replacement fitted.
Still not found the other fuse, Dometic test proved there was power so not that.

Sep 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Florium
Just check with AWSO UK and they do a module for this fridge Q150651 priced around £180. It is a trade whitegoods web site.
The original part is shown as obsolete but it has been replaced by another compatible version, if it wouldn't fit they wouldn't sell it for that model.
If you have lights on the unit you have power to it.. the job of the module is to determine which is the best way to operate the fridge. From the symptoms you have described I would agree the module is at fault.
There is a fuse on the board but I would imagine that is serge protection for the board and you would have a dead fridge, but it definitely needs checking.

IMG_3532.jpeg

IMG_3533.jpeg

Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
My 17 year old Dometic fridge does not work on 12v 240v the selection lights for both lights as they should, gas it does not even try to ignite selection light flashes .
I've not looked yet to see if the heating coils are hot the cooling fins are attached, nor looked at the gas jet.
With that in mind am I missing a trick, is there a 12v fuse that controls it, I have looked and can't find one ?
Options engage a repair man to be told oh it's that but as it is so old can't get one.
Look for a used fridge that may have it's own problems
Buy new possibly absorption.
I mostly off grid and use gas.

Any ideas most welcome.
See if you have a Sargent interface, usually behind the drivers seat and check the fuses and wiring on that. That can cause it.

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Well a bit of progress. caravan repair chap rang me, ran through a few things and found the 2 amp fuse behind the leisure batteries. Up shot if I get the pcb out and get it to him he will take it to his electrics guru, £20 to check if faulty, around £60 minus the £20 to repair and collect next week plus a few quid for him. I'll give it a go Friday.
After replacing the 2 amp fuse I now get no lights, could still be the 12v supply. I'll check all the connections before taking it out.

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
All working and I have to say a bit red faced. I've cracked ribs so heaving and stretching stopped me getting the board out. I thought I'll undo the wiring ready for when I pull it forward to get at the board. All wires connected via the chocolate block things, and would you believe it the last one just came away, corroded through. replace joint block and all working. Red faced as my mantra for leccy probs is to break and make all joints, shame I did not listen to myself what a plonker!

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
All working and I have to say a bit red faced. I've cracked ribs so heaving and stretching stopped me getting the board out. I thought I'll undo the wiring ready for when I pull it forward to get at the board. All wires connected via the chocolate block things, and would you believe it the last one just came away, corroded through. replace joint block and all working. Red faced as my mantra for leccy probs is to break and make all joints, shame I did not listen to myself what a plonker!
Bit late but could you not access via lower fridge vent cover?
My 8 series fridge had corroded 240 terminals, they looked to have been arching for a while.
Pleased you fixed it though.

OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Yes I did and all looked good. I did wiggle the leads and all felt fine. Thinking back that was around the time all lights went out. Every day is a school day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back