Fresh water level indicator woefully inaccurate (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
2020 MY Burstner td680g.. the fresh water tank level indicator on my control panel is woefully inaccurate to the tune of reading 25% full when pump runs dry. Van is level . Anyone know how I can get it at least a bit closer to being accurate as one may think ah... 25% remaining ...I have approx. 30 litres still on board... but no the tank runeth dry.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
2020 MY Burstner td680g.. the fresh water tank level indicator on my control panel is woefully inaccurate to the tune of reading 25% full when pump runs dry. Van is level . Anyone know how I can get it at least a bit closer to being accurate as one may think ah... 25% remaining ...I have approx. 30 litres still on board... but no the tank runeth dry.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Have you done one or more water cleanses?
Not helped us out much but maybe yours.

Ours is full or empty.
Sometimes we catch it at about 33% full.
That just means we could run out any wash

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just a thought. But is the pickup pipe at the bottom or the tank?

On my van the pickup is via a pipe that comes in at the side of the tank almost at the top. The pipe then bends down towards the base of the tank. But it is possible for my pickup pipe to be a good distance from the base of the tank if I’ve been fiddling.

Worth a check as that would make both things correct in your situation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Have you done one or more water cleanses?
Not helped us out much but maybe yours.

Ours is full or empty.
Sometimes we catch it at about 33% full.
That just means we could run out any wash
Dont think it can need that as we've only had van brand new since 16th feb. I reckon it's always been out

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
we had a similar issue with our van (not a Burstner) we simply reset the reading (got the instructions from our Dealer on how to do it) very simple operation and worked fine.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I disconnected ours and used the wires for a 25% float switch and an LED in the panel, I put it on a thread a few months ago 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Just a thought. But is the pickup pipe at the bottom or the tank?

On my van the pickup is via a pipe that comes in at the side of the tank almost at the top. The pipe then bends down towards the base of the tank. But it is possible for my pickup pipe to be a good distance from the base of the tank if I’ve been fiddling.

Worth a check as that would make both things correct in your situation.
Landy, by pick up pipe...do you mean some sort of sensor/ sender or the pipe to take water out of your tank? I must admit I haven't looked inside the cleaning access hole and the water only just run out 10 mins ago

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Landy, by pick up pipe...do you mean some sort of sensor/ sender or the pipe to take water out of your tank? I must admit I haven't looked inside the cleaning access hole and the water only just run out 10 mins ago
The pipe that takes the water out of the tank, and then goes to the pump.

If it is not on the bottom of the tank, but say 4” up, then the gauge could be correct, but you will be sucking no water up as pick up pipe doesn’t reach it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Correct, they are rubbish. When I'm on the mooch I fill wherever there is a tap.
Hey its partly my own fault as haven't filled for days but am only parked on my mothers drive due to lockdown so no shortage of supply .....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
The pipe that takes the water out of the tank, and then goes to the pump.

If it is not on the bottom of the tank, but say 4” up, then the gauge could be correct, but you will be sucking no water up as pick up pipe doesn’t reach it.
Ah ha ok gotcha. Will check in day light. Can I simply tug the pipe down a bit or am I kidding myself there will be any spare/slack on it?

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Hey its partly my own fault as haven't filled for days but am only parked on my mothers drive due to lockdown so no shortage of supply .....
I wasn't having ago, I dare bet many here, (including me many times) have run out of water in the past.

I just got bored of it, I see a tap, I ask if I can use it.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Dont think it can need that as we've only had van brand new since 16th feb. I reckon it's always been out
soz. You did write 2020
If it was inaccurate from start, and other Burstner get better results....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
I wasn't having ago, I dare bet many here, (including me many times) have run out of water in the past.

I just got bored of it, I see a tap, I ask if I can use it.
No I did realise that no offence taken... it just always happens gas or water at the most inconvenient times.. tonights was bedtime for us and the dog all settled locked up and... no water from tap.... bugger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
soz. You did write 2020
If it was inaccurate from start, and other Burstner get better results....
Yeah I know but I really cant be arsed to do 89 miles each way to the dealers on april 12th and wondered if there is a easy quick fix that even I could manage....

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
No I did realise that no offence taken... it just always happens gas or water at the most inconvenient times.. tonights was bedtime for us and the dog all settled locked up and... no water from tap.... bugger
I do like the concept of a convenient time for a problem to occur ... :LOL: 'When's convenient for your gas to run out?'
'Next Wednesday, just after lunch would suit me ...'
'Me too; see you next week, just at the back of two, then ...'(y):LOL:

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Well... been inside water tank and up take pipes on floor of tank and it appears guage is governed by 5 metal probes of differing lengths that obviously create a circuit through the water in order to light the various markers on my control panel. 1 very short for 100% then 1 seemingly halfway down tank for 75% full.... well you get the picture well the remaining 3 are all almost the same length and sit almost at bottom of tank. I think this is one for the dealer now. Thanks although for you help.

On another linked issue I cant stop the cleaning hatch leaking... a slow but regular drip. I see to recalls thread on here about this but cant find it. Anyone got any ideas how to stop it?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I do like the concept of a convenient time for a problem to occur ... :LOL: 'When's convenient for your gas to run out?'
'Next Wednesday, just after lunch would suit me ...'
'Me too; see you next week, just at the back of two, then ...'(y):LOL:

Steve
My stapler always runs out of staples when I’m using it. Strange that!:LOL:

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well... been inside water tank and up take pipes on floor of tank and it appears guage is governed by 5 metal probes of differing lengths that obviously create a circuit through the water in order to light the various markers on my control panel. 1 very short for 100% then 1 seemingly halfway down tank for 75% full.... well you get the picture well the remaining 3 are all almost the same length and sit almost at bottom of tank. I think this is one for the dealer now. Thanks although for you help.

On another linked issue I cant stop the cleaning hatch leaking... a slow but regular drip. I see to recalls thread on here about this but cant find it. Anyone got any ideas how to stop it?
The stainless steel rods (the anode) gets coated by electrolysis. Anode on the left below, you can clean it but it will always happen. A momentary action switch to take the reading will slow it down..

20201030_140959.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2010
Pickering, North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML 580
Exp
Since 2010
I get a bit of excersise making six trips to the tap to collect 10 litres in my watering can, I drain my waste into a 10l bucket. Toilet obviouly uses water - maybe 1/3rd of a tank every cassette full taking account of the fact a lot of pee is from wine/beer and tea (made from water from a seperate container).
Clearly not perfect, but gives me a rough idea of how much use and when more is needed.

This also means I can roughly guage I have a minimum fresh water in the tank when moving to next site - I dont like to travel with loads of fresh water and hate draining clean fresh water down just to travel.

Works for us but I'm sure others will find this approach to much hassle :giggle:

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I replace into the fresh water what I drop into the bucket from the grey water tank and an extra few litres for toilet use. Our gauges are useless.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Found original thread re leaking access hatch... August 2016

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
we had a similar issue with our van (not a Burstner) we simply reset the reading (got the instructions from our Dealer on how to do it) very simple operation and worked fine.
Sorry missed your post.... I will ask if that's possible

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back