LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Mackerel couldn't be easier to fillet. Knife in the back of the head, cut towards the head then turn back on yourself and follow the spine all the way to the tail.

Once you have done that you can pick the rib bones out although I find once fried on a good heat the bones just kind of disintegrate.
Just cut a v in each side to remove all the bones

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Mackeral can take a more robust marinade too. My fav is Asian inspired with chilli, lime, garlic, ginger and tamari.

Vintage RV

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
I love fish, but I have never been able to remove the bones without making a complete disaster of it :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I love fish, but I have never been able to remove the bones without making a complete disaster of it :LOL:
Cod is fine as when it is filleted there are no bones left. Mackerel are just a little bit harder. Easy to take a fillet off but it still leaves you with the bones running down the ribs. Like denisejoe says, just cut a V down them and remove them in a strip or I find after they have been cooked the heat has pretty much got rid of them.

Well worth it as in a matter of minutes you can have a lovely fresh mackerel meal.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
To stop the fillets shriveling up leave skin on and cook skin side down but hold the fillets down for a few seconds as they tend to want to curl and no oil needed as very oily fish

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back