Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 24, 2014
lutterworth
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
born again after 10 years
HELP. The more I read the more confused I'm getting.
My old fella is a hymer 614 weighing in at 3.9 t and just under 3mtr tall.
We are going over the water end of march and think a payment tag will be handy.
Can anyone explain what class my MH is in , I thought class 3 but iv'e read conflicting information.
any help out there 👍🤪

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Because of your weight, over 3.5t, you are class 3.

Had you been over 3m tall you’d have been class 3 regardless of weight.

Not certain but I think if you were a tag axle you would also have been a class 3

In reality at most booths I expect you personally would be charged as class 2 because they don’t know your weight but can see you are not over 3m.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm same weight and height as OP and always been charged class 2
If they try and charge for class 3, press the button and say "Bonjour, je suis un camping car merci" and they'll change it for you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
2.90 mtrs high 8.5mtrs long and 5250kgs tag axle was always class 2.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
old smokey
Apr 24, 2014
lutterworth
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
born again after 10 years
Because of your weight, over 3.5t, you are class 3.

Had you been over 3m tall you’d have been class 3 regardless of weight.

Not certain but I think if you were a tag axle you would also have been a class 3

In reality at most booths I expect you personally would be charged as class 2 because they don’t know your weight but can see you are not over 3m.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I'm same weight and height as OP and always been charged class 2
If they try and charge for class 3, press the button and say "Bonjour, je suis un camping car merci" and they'll change it for you

Exactly the same for us,and they always change to class 2 . Ours is a 8m tag axle.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Yeah but stopping, pressing a button and asking to be class 2 kind of defeats the point to me. Toll tags are all about convenience to me, the 30kmh lane is a dream to sail through.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you've got a toll tag, it will assume that you applied for it as a Class 2.
I don't think, (feel free anyone to contradict), they don't give out a Tag for Class 3.

Thing is, our French cousins don't have the same licence system as us. When we went
European in 1990something they gave all of us in the UK, those Grandparent rights that
allowed us to drive motor vehicles up to 7.5 T.

Over the water, they don't have that flex. On an 'ordinary' licence they are limited to 3.5t.
They have to take a separate test to drive anything over 3.5t (much like the folks over here
that passed their test post 1997).

So, if you observe most vans registered in France, the vast majority will be rated at 3.5t even
though it's obvious that the vehicles themselves are on Maxi chassis and in the UK would have
a MGM of 4+t.

That's why Funsters above have told you to to press the button if you are prevented from
getting through the barrier. I don't think, as said, if you are in possession of a Tag and under 3Mts.
you will encounter any problems

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If you've got a toll tag, it will assume that you applied for it as a Class 2.
I don't think, (feel free anyone to contradict), they don't give out a Tag for Class 3.

Thing is, our French cousins don't have the same licence system as us. When we went
European in 1990something they gave all of us in the UK, those Grandparent rights that
allowed us to drive motor vehicles up to 7.5 T.

Over the water, they don't have that flex. On an 'ordinary' licence they are limited to 3.5t.
They have to take a separate test to drive anything over 3.5t (much like the folks over here
that passed their test post 1997
).

So, if you observe most vans registered in France, the vast majority will be rated at 3.5t even
though it's obvious that the vehicles themselves are on Maxi chassis and in the UK would have
a MGM of 4+t.

That's why Funsters above have told you to to press the button if you are prevented from
getting through the barrier. I don't think, as said, if you are in possession of a Tag and under 3Mts.
you will encounter any problems

When swapping a pre-1997 licence for an EU one it varies. Here in Poland they said you will get exactly the Categories on your UK licence, which I did including C1+E, although they left off D1+E but I was not bothered.

In other countries, of which Portugal is a known example, they will not recognise C1 unless one did a test, but I do not know how you prove it.

I wonder what would happen if I now asked to change my Polish licence for a Portuguese licence? Would they give me C1?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back