French mayor warns holidaymakers over illegal electric bikes (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
For Bosch powered bikes you can by a dongle to update the software.

And you can be legal providing you register and insure the bike. Only fly in the ointment DVLA won't have a clue what you are talking about.
The dongle doesn't increase the power it allows you to keep assisted pedalling after the standard 15kph cut off. AFAIK there is no power increase available for the modern pedal assist ebikes.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The dongle doesn't increase the power it allows you to keep assisted pedalling after the standard 15kph cut off. AFAIK there is no power increase available for the modern pedal assist ebikes.
Dependant on motor cooling there are easy mods to increase output - increasing battery voltage is one.

Jamsdb

Free Member
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
I have an electric bike that helps me get around when camping as I have quite arthritic knees. Very useful when camping in one spot for a few days and you don't want to pack everything away to do a quick shop. But I must say I think that 15 mph is too slow. I regularly get overtaken by cyclists dressed in Lycra shooting past me. 15 mph? For heavens sake, a fit person (not me) can run faster than that. Why would licencing a faster ebike make it safer? I am not talking about 40mph electric motorbikes but even 20mph would be more reasonable as most people can sustain that easily on a level road with peddling only. And as for the french restricting ebikes, don't they have unrestricted mopeds? I remember the Solex bicycles with a 50cc motor over the front wheel and no licence needed. They didn't cause carnage on the roads. It seems to me that it is all about the powers that be wanting to restrict people going about their everyday lives. Rant over.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a haibike mtb which has a Bosch motor and has a dongle fitted it cheats the bike into thinking it is only going half the actual speed there for my bike will do 30mph if I turn the dongle on I use it turned on over cannock chase etc all off road you still have to pedal at all times no throttle

If on the road I normally turn if off as I normally ride at about 12-13 MPH so no need for dongle to be on its turned on and off by pressing the power buttons in a certain sequence.

I would not use the dongle abroad and to find it they would need to strip engine casing down but why would they as if they rode it they would see it cut out at 15mph with dongle off

LB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And you can be legal providing you register and insure the bike. Only fly in the ointment DVLA won't have a clue what you are talking about.

Mine is less than the 15 mph but is a twist and go (that is easy enough to disable when required though). I tried to register it with DVLA but "there is no mechanism in place to do that Madam".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back