French mayor warns holidaymakers over illegal electric bikes (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This being true I agree with the Mayor>>>

France’s notoriously reckless drivers often come under fire over its high number of road deaths, but holidaymakers are now facing a new danger: speeding cyclists riding illegally souped-up electric bikes.

The modified e-bikes are terrifying pedestrians and conventional cyclists.

They are capable of reaching 30 miles per hour without pedalling, double the speed limit for electric bicycles in France.

Owners are boosting the power of their e-bikes themselves by following online instructions that explain how to make the relatively simple adaptations required.

The alarm has been raised by Lionel Quillet, the conservative mayor of Loix, on the Île de Ré, a popular family holiday destination where the bicycle is king.

The island off France’s west coast has more than 70 miles of cycle paths although it is only 18 miles long by 3 miles wide.

In summer, about 6,000 bikes a day pass through some sections of the island, many ridden by children.

After a number of accidents, Mr Quillet said souped-up e-bikes should be banned from cycle paths.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/04/french-mayor-warns-holidaymakers-illegal-electric-bikes/

Feb 11, 2018
North Devon
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Inevitably, this type of activity will spoil the legitimate use of e bikes by forcing authorities to impose restrictions, potential tax and further bureaucracy !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Inevitably, this type of activity will spoil the legitimate use of e bikes by forcing authorities to impose restrictions, potential tax and further bureaucracy !

Those restrictions are already in place across the entire EU, including here. That's the point, eBikes that can achieve those speeds are illegal in public places as are all twist and go models.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Those restrictions are already in place across the entire EU, including here. That's the point, eBikes that can achieve those speeds are illegal in public places as are all twist and go models.
Only illegal if not registered and insured as a motor vehicle. But it's a fair guess most won't be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Only illegal if not registered and insured as a motor vehicle. But it's a fair guess most won't be.

I’d be amazed if any of them are.

Too fast to be an ebike, far too slow and boring to be a motorcycle. If you have to register and insure it as a motorcycle and then meet licence, road law and safety requirements you just wouldn’t bother. You’d buy a real bike instead (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's a fair guess most can't be. In the UK at least they'd need to meet motorcycle C & U Regs and if home built or adapted pass a SVA inspection. Commercially available ones are either electric scooters or, if bicycles, are sold marked for off-road use only. They exist on roads and pavements because there aren't any Police around to stop them.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The 45kmh bikes are getting more and more popular here:

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 19.18.11.png

Anything above 25kmh needs a license plate (see the one on the rear mudguard above), pay tax and have insurance although helmets are not obligatory. Most people seem to use them for long range bike commutes, 10-20km each way sort of thing. They aren't cheap though, seem to be around £2500-3500.

I often ride along with them on my push bike until they open up the throttle and disappear into the horizon(n)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I have an E bike but have to peddle at all times and I only ever use it on the 1st bar. It is supposed to do up to 15 MPH but I never reach that and always stop when passing near pedestrians sauntering 4 abreast on a cycle track!

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
IMG_20180910_212004.jpg
IMG_20180910_212018.jpg
In Italy Chioggia infact there was a style of electric bike very popular no plate on them but boy they was fast no helmets worn no lights
Edit to show pics

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Nope, the 25 kmh limit has always been there the law change was banning twist & go throttles.
yes ,I was only referring to the twist & go being legal.
Didn't realise there was an actual 25knh limit. I can pedal mine on minimum assistance far faster than that & it hasn't been modified ?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Where can I buy one?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Didn't realise there was an actual 25knh limit. I can pedal mine on minimum assistance far faster than that & it hasn't been modified ?
The motor will cut out and provide no further assistance when you reach 25kph - you're quite entitled to pedal faster if you wish:D

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Nothing more dangerous than using many cycle lanes in France where professional race rider practice and train.

They come at you at speeds way in excess of 50kph, downhill, even faster still. But the riders also ride in groups. They shot passed my young Grandson at silly speed last summer. If they had clipped each other or lost control, there would have been some serious injuries.

France needs to concentrate more on its Drivers.

A law was passed a few years ago that stated, if a pedestrian signals to cross at a pedestrian crossing, any driver must stop immediately. Try that in St. Tropez, many will beep and carry on driving.
Yet when I am driving, I see French people just walk out, no stopping, no looking out to see whats coming. Just out in-front chatting away...................

And In Annecy a couple of years ago, walking along a road with no pavement/sidewalk, facing the flow of traffic like you ares supposed to. We had to cross the onto the opposite side (traffic behind us) briefly, to get to the access for the boat.

Some TW4T in a French registered car, with no cars coming towards him. Decided, rather than give us a wide berth, he would drive as close as he could and in the process, ripped my shoulder bag off with his winger mirror whilst beeping his horn. But, if he had not driven off, and we could of got near the 4kerr. all hell would have broke loose.

Speed restrictions for cyclists when not on actual roads.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Some are very quick !!

What speed did he get up to then? The trouble is pedestrians and drivers will not realise how quickly he will reach them when calculating crossing the road, or pulling out and joining that road.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Twist and go is only illegal on new models, my bike was built before 2016 with a throttle and Its perfectly legal.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Owners are boosting the power of their e-bikes themselves by following online instructions that explain how to make the relatively simple adaptations required.
Really? How? Where?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've got a notion on an electric bike that is marked "Off Road Use Only" but its only off road in the countryside surrounding my home where I want to use it.
Tis easy enough to pop into the jalopy & take it to the places I want to visit.
I just want to be able to visit the places where I could go prior to being crippled by arthritis. :)

I have to say though that what these bikes can do is properly scary & the thought of someone using one in a town or city is properly scary. :eek:
:imoutahere:

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Really? How? Where?
For Bosch powered bikes you can by a dongle to update the software.

And you can be legal providing you register and insure the bike. Only fly in the ointment DVLA won't have a clue what you are talking about.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I've got a notion on an electric bike that is marked "Off Road Use Only" but its only off road in the countryside surrounding my home where I want to use it.
Tis easy enough to pop into the jalopy & take it to the places I want to visit.
I just want to be able to visit the places where I could go prior to being crippled by arthritis. :)

I have to say though that what these bikes can do is properly scary & the thought of someone using one in a town or city is properly scary. :eek:
:imoutahere:
Why would it be scary, I’ve been riding a motorbike with a 1600cc engine and 180 bhp through many towns and cities without scaring anyone.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Why would it be scary, I’ve been riding a motorbike with a 1600cc engine and 180 bhp through many towns and cities without scaring anyone.

I've owned many motorcycles, some scary, some not. What I was saying is that cycles aren't properly geared up to do high speeds in towns, pedestrians & drivers have no way of knowing that you might be doing high speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back