French licence swap leaves Briton unable to drive €100,000 campervan (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
From https://www.connexionfrance.com/new...riton-unable-to-drive-100000-campervan/659224

French licence swap leaves Briton unable to drive €100,000 campervan​

He is taking his case to France’s rights defender​

1716546322131.png

A retired British man has taken a case to France’s rights defender because he is unable to use his new €100,000 La Strada campervan after swapping to a French licence.

Former IT worker Tim Hall, 68, who moved to Savoie in 2020, applied to exchange his UK licence, attaching a medical certificate to prove continued competency to drive heavier vehicles. However, the French licence he received lacked the heavy C and D categories.

Officials told him it is because he had been given these automatically with his driving licence – as was usual in the UK before 1997 – and France does not recognise categories acquired without a specific test.

He said: “I like to follow the Tour de France and wanted to be able to sleep overnight in the camping car. It is a German make, 6.4m, and cost over €100,000. I’m expecting delivery of it soon.”

UK/France licence agreement​

A UK/France agreement on licence swaps was signed in 2021 although no copy of the agreement has been made publicly available.

Under this, UK licences first issued before Brexit are essentially treated the same as EU licences. It states, among other points, that older UK licences must be swapped for a French one if they are nearing expiry, which was the case for Mr Hall.

The rule against categories acquired automatically is not stated on French official websites we consulted. They do list information that all categories of a UK licence are exchangeable.

Mr Hall’s last UK licence was in a standardised EU ‘credit card’ format, with the same letter categories used across the bloc, which might not be the case with old paper UK licences.

Taking a French C1 test would require 28 hours of lessons and sitting a theory test in French, which he does not wish to do as he believes the refusal is not justified by French or EU laws.

The Défenseur des Droits service, which he read about in The Connexion, has agreed to take up his case.

He said there was no notification of a potential issue during the swap application. Instead, it asked if he wanted to retain the categories and then requested a medical certificate.

“There is European case law that EU states must recognise validity of all categories of other EU countries’ licences,” he said, adding it is illogical that he could drive all over the EU on his UK licence but must lose categories to exchange it.

France’s driving authorities did not wish to comment.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
“There is European case law that EU states must recognise validity of all categories of other EU countries’ licences,”

If this statement is correct then it illustrates an absurdity: My UK licence had C1 by virtue of the rights of having passed a test before 1997.

I exchanged my licence for a Polish one and it was issued with category C1 with no quibble.

If the statement I quote above is correct I could swap my Polish licence for a French one and retain C1.

This is an absurdity.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't think it's absurd!

You exchanged your licence to Polish while UK was an EU country: therefore it was accepted and can now be changed to another EU country ie Poland to France.

This bloke wants to exchange his licence after we left the EU. Therefore that rule doesn't apply.

Gordon

I do not know how you presumed to know when I acquired my Polish Licence, but you are wrong as it was issued 04.02.2021, so after Brexit and even after the end of the Withdrawal Agreement on 31.12.2020.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
It's not the lack of licence that means he can't drive it....it's because it hasn't been delivered yet....

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Probably a hiccup (pretty expensive one) If it's all as it says then you'd assume it will be sorted. I've heard it happen in UK to a number of people.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Maybe, this could all be solved if (when) the standard licence is increased to 4250 Kgs in the EU and UK.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I do not know how you presumed to know when I acquired my Polish Licence, but you are wrong as it was issued 04.02.2021, so after Brexit and even after the end of the Withdrawal Agreement on 31.12.2020.
Apologies
I thought you had been there longer

Gordon

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
He wanted a French licence but won't abide by French laws?

Should have checked first. I double checked everything when I got my Spanish licence.

Not quite as straightforward as that.

French law permits one to drive in France with a UK licence for 6 months, including one which has C1 obtained without a test.

French Law then requires one after 6 months residency to exchange ones licence.

French law then declares that one is not permitted to exercise the rights of the C1 licence, which French Law had approved for the previous 6 months.

The OP would probably have been happy to continue driving on a UK licence and did not want to change but for the French Law requiring it.

[EDIT If French Law wished to be consistent on these conflicting requirements it could either

1. Allow transfer of all C1 rights

OR

2. Ban driving in France on a C1 obtained without a test.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
French have their own laws and regulations, if you don't like it don't go.

They have no law about driving on an UK licence with C1 obtained prior to 1997. I did it for about 13 years, together with thousands of others.

The law that catches the OP is that he has become Resident in France. I have become resident in Poland and retain my pr-1997 C1.

What does change of residency have to do with road safety? And why should the country of residence affect the licence rules?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

French law permits one to drive in France with a UK licence for 6 months, including one which has C1 obtained without a test.

French law then declares that one is not permitted to exercise the rights of the C1 licence, which French Law had approved for the previous 6 months.

The OP would probably have been happy to continue driving on a UK licence and did not want to change but for the French Law requiring it.

[EDIT If French Law wished to be consistent on these conflicting requirements it could either

OR

Or allow those who transferred to a French license when we were EU members to continue using their C1 rights but not those transferring now. Unless they offer similar transfers from other non EU countries. That would also make sense.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet

OR

That's not correct. An agreement was made post Brexit that meant that UK nationals resident in France could keep their UK licence until its expiry date (or 6mths before the licence/photocard expires to be more accurate as it can take 4-6 mths to swap) I have just successfully swapped mine for a french one...15 mths after arriving here. My wife will swap hers next Spring, prior to her UK one expiring. I was aware of the loss of certain categories. ( some have lost the right to ride a motorcycle as their test was before computerised records began so there is a procedure to follow to retain the entitlement)
A facebook group operates that is run by a lady who was on the 'working group' between the two countries. She is an expert and the files on the FB group are superb. Be patient, read thru them and the process is straightforward.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Some expats had a bit of a runaround here in Spain regarding getting licence swaps... fortunately that's mostly been sorted now..
When we both swapped our UK to Spanish licences a while pre - withdrawal agreement, I got my C1 entitlement as well as motorcycle licence identical to my UK groups..
However jumartoo didn't get her C1 entitlement transferred over...both of us qualified for this groups.....Judith didn't bother to contest this, as she didn't see herself driving this class.
I renewed last year and being 70 and 48 months...I maintained my groups ...

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Why not just take the test?

Simple solution

It‘s very similar to here and not easy to pass. Most people spend around €3-5k to pass a C1.

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
Here in Spain you have to request all groups to be swapped over on exchange of licences.
Ours were done pre withdrawal agreement and no problems at all.
Unfortunately that doesn't always work as a friend of mine who has just done his through a Spanish lawyer has lost his motorbike and C1 entitlement.
It had taken over 6 months and he was met by a shrug of the shoulders and told that it was up to the DGT when he complained.
More like he forgot to include the relevant information.
He has two options now---
Take a Spanish test or become a British resident again and reapply for a licence from DVLA.
Luckily he has no intention of driving a 7.5 tonner or riding over 125cc.
Guess this probably happens in France as well.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Why can't the French just change the law for this one guy? Surely it can't be that difficult for every country to have cherry picked laws that suit every individual 🤷
Why should they, as it is not just 1 guy, anyone that had a licence that included a C1 before the rules changed in the UK would then also be eligible.

It is the uk that has the anomaly, maybe it is them that should offer a free upgrade to a full C1.

Also it is not just the french that have an issue with this.

We have lived here for 18 years and heard many british ex pats moaning about how terrible french administration is. 9 times out of 10, it is them that have not bothered to research what they have to do, or what documentation they have to provide that has caused a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back