LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Any advice please on how to open the freezer door? it is a Dometic Tec tower fridge, freezer and oven. The two buttoms on the freezer, when pressed feel slightly different to the bottons on the fridge door (which touch wood continues to open normally) but I have noticed for the last week or two that the door tot he freezer has felt less normal when closing. Now it wont open at all and obviously I don't want to do any damage by forcing it but if anyone knows how to open it from outside that advice would be gratefully received.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Could it be frozen shut?

Our Dometic tec tower had a heater element in the frame which could be turned on to defrost any frozen condensation.

If your model doesn't have this, it might be worth turning the appliance off and letting the freezer defrost slightly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ours does this sometimes when swmbo rams the freezer too full and the air cant circulate. I generally find that lifting the door slightly will get it open, and I then turf a few things out. But if you re not as impatient as me then you could try turning it off

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Ours has a defrost button for freezer door too.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
ours locks shut when ignition is on, bonkers that the fridge door doesn't do the same and both have those stupid slide catches anyway

oops, getting cross again, who mentioned Dometic and door in the same thread :mad::mad:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Could it be frozen shut?

Our Dometic tec tower had a heater element in the frame which could be turned on to defrost any frozen condensation.

If your model doesn't have this, it might be worth turning the appliance off and letting the freezer defrost slightly

I concur definitely needs defrosting.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We just put the catch in the locked up position and rely on the magnetic door surround to hold it shut when traveling. On the last van we put a bungee across the door otherwise contents ended up on the floor on fast corners if heavily loaded. Not praticle to do that on the current van so fingers crossed.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Our lock froze up on the freezer door and the lock broke

We are in Germany at the carthago factory and by chance a domectic man was there the dometic guy changed the lock as it was full of ice

He also took the black facia off and explained the problem was caused by the bit of black duck tape sealing the front of the lock not being air tight (letting in condensation) his solution was to resealable it with several strips of silver duck tape.He also told us the defrost button is only for the control panel not the lock

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mine freezes on occassions... patience is all that is required... waggle button.. keep pressing ... but don't force it.. eventually it releases ... then tou are able to get at frozen bit... and defrost/dry.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If ours was the same model I used a hairdryer around the lock area.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
If there's any electronics in it and it's frozen, then try turning it off then back on again......... I'll get my coat

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I had a freezer in the house that would do this, I found the seal was too good and a finger or wooden stick-not a blade-shoved in between the seal and the freezer body was enough to break the seal and allow the door to open.
But it could be that it's got moisture in there & needs a defrost!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If there's any electronics in it and it's frozen, then try turning it off then back on again......... I'll get my coat
Purely mecanical, the area around the latch fills with moisture and freezes.
Depending how bad it is turning on the door frame heater sometime sorts it in 10min but can take an hour or two, worst case we had to turn the fridge off overnight, not funny when your dinner is in there. That's why we never use the latch now.
I think the German Dometic man was talking out of his posterior. The heater is a frame heater around the freezer, that's why its called a frame heater. As for duck tape, pigs might fly. When it freezes the whole area around the latch freezes and the latch gets held down buy the ice that has formed above it.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
We've got the same problem with our 8 Series freezer door, the 6mth old van is currently at a Dometic dealer awaiting new lock parts.
The door worked perfectly whilst on our summer trip around Europe but suddenly whilst in Germany, the door would not open and we could not get at the contents. The weather at the time was very hot/humid and this was suggested as the issue. However, over a period of time we tried the frame heater and switching it off to let everything cool down but neither worked.
Took it to a service agent when we got home...... here's the interesting part -
The fitter used an 18" steel ruler, opened the fridge door and this allowed him to slide the ruler up the inside of the freezer door from the bottom edge. It took him a couple of goes because the latch is recessed but it was easy-peasy. Luckily the contents had not stunk the van out!
We've now been waiting almost 4 weeks for the parts. Poor show.

Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back