France to Spain - to toll or not to toll, that is the question! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We normally don't use toll roads at all abroad due to the cost but next time we go to Spain (east side) we're thinking of using some to get there quicker with the bonus of of avoiding the numerous French roundabouts and stupid speed low limits - I've just done a quick route on https://tollguru.com/toll-calculator-france going from Eurotunnel at Coquelles to Perpignon which came up with the following routes

A20 (cheaper but slower & longer):
distance = 1179 miles
duration = 11h27m
cost = £102

A75 (dearer but faster & shorter):
distance = 1132 miles
duration = 10h44m
cost = £109

We wouldn't do it all in one day so would be pulling of to an aire for one night, possibly two depending on what time we land in France, and ideally would prefer to get a good balance between toll and non-toll roads so can anyone suggest the best route 'variation' without it taking and age and costing an arm and a leg.

Ta muchly!

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I’ve posted before my opinion on autoroutes, I think they’re good value for money and I don’t mind paying for something that going to get me where I want to go quickly, relaxed, and with the minimum wear and tear on the MH. The only thing I would say is avoid the A6, particularly in peak holiday time. When we used to go to Spain regularly we always used to go down to Bordeaux and across via Toulouse

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We drove through France in September, can't say I noticed much difference in speed limits from the year before. Doesn't bother me doing the 80kph limit. I just have a warm feeling inside as I see the MPG going up and up. 🥰

The AP7 toll road down through Spain is now free. (set sat nav to use tolls)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I prefer the autoroute because of the absence of traffic and the reduced stop/start motoring, with less stress and better fuel economy. A much more relaxed way of driving. The Tolls are just another holiday cost, and with fuel still slightly cheaper than it is in UK, the overall difference to the final bill for an 8 or 9 weeks stay is quite small.

Steve

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
40 miles and 7 quid in it.
A single traffic jam/roadworks could mean the slower route is faster.

Assuming both routes are as easy to drive and prone to the same traffic problems then I'd pick the route that has the most interesting scenery for the passenger and the best stopping places.

However if one route is known to be harder to drive or more prone to traffic issues, I'd use the other.
Toll charges,and distance are so similar as to be irrelevant (Your times need correction!)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think that your numbers are a bit out as you are averaging more than 100 mph.
Have you seen his van ?

1633886449818.png

(1,000 miles in 10 hours = 100mph)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We like the A75 route, we went down about 4 weeks ago and came up last week. Going down it would be, Calais to Rouen (some toll if you want it, but other road OK). We did a bit of toll on the A13 going south from Rouen. Then Evreux, Dreux and Chartres. Then the N154 down to Orlean and across onto the N952 to Gien and the A77 to Nevers

Below Moulin across onto the D2009 then onto the A71. Short toll around Clermont-Ferrand, and again around Milau. This is a route that does not have a lot of roundabouts and the option to take tolls if you want, if it is not going well, or avoid most tolls if you choose

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
£7 is hardly going to break the bank, now is it?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
40 miles and 7 quid in it.
A single traffic jam/roadworks could mean the slower route is faster.
I'm not talking about the cost different between the 2 toll routes but if there's a need to use all the toll roads or whether there are just as good roads which are non-toll for part of the journey, eg run virtually along side but without the cost especially if some of the toll roads are extortionate when a little bit more time on non-toll ones would make more sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You've not seen my hubby driving our MH have you! 😄

Have you seen his van ?

View attachment 546645

(1,000 miles in 10 hours = 100mph)
:ROFLMAO:

Isn't the distance kilometres, makes the time stated more sensible!
Correct, I did change it to do it in miles which I assumed it had but I've just double checked and it stayed in kilometres ... stupid website!

No it’s definitely miles, it’s 1250 mile from Calais to Murcia
Nope it's km, this is from ET to Pepignon.

But isn't that just the French section of the journey?
Yup

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It's normally pay the tolls where necessary on the autoroute for us, for the most relaxing journey.

Less wear and tear on the driver, just set the cruise. Still lots of pleasant scenery too.

Also, you know there will be regular motorway aires - many of them quite pleasant - which can be useful to stretch your legs and have a coffee / snack in the van, or outside if weather is good - normally plenty of picnic benches (perhaps unlikely in the winter, but you never know if the sun is shining). ;)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hubby has now asked me about going from ET to Irun too, 2 options below but again a mix of toll and non-toll considered:

A10 (cheaper but slower & longer):
distance = 1089 km
duration = 10h20m
cost = £145

A28 (dearer but faster & shorter):
distance = 1086 km
duration = 9h30m
cost = £153

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
It's normally pay the tolls where necessary on the autoroute for us, for the most relaxing journey.

Less wear and tear on the driver, just set the cruise. Still lots of pleasant scenery too.

Also, you know there will be regular motorway aires - many of them quite pleasant - which can be useful to stretch your legs and have a coffee / snack in the van, or outside if weather is good - normally plenty of picnic benches (perhaps unlikely in the winter, but you never know if the sun is shining). ;)
We've used the benches on the aires in November and late February. But we do live in Scotland the temperatures on the aires are not unlike those of Spring in Scotland ... Woolly hat, jumper and a winter fleece, 15 minutes to get all the gear on whilst the kettle boils ... (y) :giggle:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Hubby has now asked me about going from ET to Irun too, 2 options below but again a mix of toll and non-toll considered:

A10 (cheaper but slower & longer):
distance = 1089 km
duration = 10h20m
cost = £145

A28 (dearer but faster & shorter):
distance = 1086 km
duration = 9h30m
cost = £153
Why not travel Newhaven to Dieppe and save a fair amount of mileage [and get a 20% reduction in the fare if one of the party is aged 60 or over, which will cover a decent amount of the toll fees? We use this option to get to our hovel in the Vendee, and the drive from Dieppe is 324 miles, so probably 270 miles for you continuing on the autoroute, instead of leaving it around Cholet to travel east to reach our house.

Nice breakfast stop at Alencon aire after taking the overnight crossing to arrive around 0530 CET ...

Dieppe to Irun Route

Steve

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
this is the route we will be using in December roads are generally quieter at that time of year from memory last time we paid about 40 euro in tolls but that was in a 8.5m tag axle hopefully cheaper in our now 7.5m with one axle less this year.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Same as we use, but avoid the toll booths from bordeaux!
All depends on time and cost.
If you have the time, then the difference from the cost becomes more apparent.
Therefore 30 minutes of diversion save 15 euros, so 30 euros an hour to earn.
how do you work out the cost analysis?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We like the A75 route, we went down about 4 weeks ago and came up last week. Going down it would be, Calais to Rouen (some toll if you want it, but other road OK). We did a bit of toll on the A13 going south from Rouen. Then Evreux, Dreux and Chartres. Then the N154 down to Orlean and across onto the N952 to Gien and the A77 to Nevers

Below Moulin across onto the D2009 then onto the A71. Short toll around Clermont-Ferrand, and again around Milau. This is a route that does not have a lot of roundabouts and the option to take tolls if you want, if it is not going well, or avoid most tolls if you choose
We now go this route however we get Moulins via various different routes to Meaux then Fontainebleu. Montreuil sur mer then Meaux appears to be favourite and we know we risk the peripherique but we wouldnt dream of missing the M25 in this country then the rest is the same as you.

We made it past Moulins in a day this year (having gone lille route to Meaux)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why not travel Newhaven to Dieppe and save a fair amount of mileage [and get a 20% reduction in the fare if one of the party is aged 60 or over, which will cover a decent amount of the toll fees? We use this option to get to our hovel in the Vendee, and the drive from Dieppe is 324 miles, so probably 270 miles for you continuing on the autoroute, instead of leaving it around Cholet to travel east to reach our house.

Nice breakfast stop at Alencon aire after taking the overnight crossing to arrive around 0530 CET ...

Dieppe to Irun Route

Steve
We always go via Eurotunnel as we have a dog who was severely frightened on a ferry crossing once and it's taken a long, long time to get her to the point where she doesn't panic every time we go away, the only ferry crossings we may consider would be the shorter Dover to Calais/Dunkirk routes but they would only be as a last resort.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
The speeding fines will be popping through the letterbox in a few weeks :giggler: I suppose that cost comes into the equation :doh:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The speeding fines will be popping through the letterbox in a few weeks :giggler: I suppose that cost comes into the equation :doh:
Speeding fines are something to take into account when deciding on whether it’s worth paying tolls.
On French D roads there are always risks of being caught straying over the limit particularly when you are in and out of villages and 70kph limits.
On autoroutes with their 130kph limit (110kph if over 3.5t) there is far less risk even though you might be pressing on.

Richard.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Speeding fines are something to take into account when deciding on whether it’s worth paying tolls.
On French D roads there are always risks of being caught straying over the limit particularly when you are in and out of villages and 70kph limits.
On autoroutes with their 130kph limit (110kph if over 3.5t) there is far less risk even though you might be pressing on.

Richard.
Not yet been to France Richard. I have watched a number of Youtube videos and I get confused by the direction road signs. They don't appear to be as easy to read (the layout) as roadsigns here in the UK. Any tips? (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we do the route clickem has mentioned above we pay the small toll on the abbyville stretch then dive of before the millau bridge then back on again but we always reckon on 4 days to get down if time is of the essence then we would use tolls i would think by the time you had paid a few tolls minxy you would need to lay down in a darkened room.if you need further info on tolls ask lenny hb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back