France in July and August - recommendations please (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know - we must be mad!

We usually go over in September, but wanted to experience some festivals and fetes, which usually happen in the summer months.

So, and with the knowledge that France is hosting the Olympics, (I know - we are truly mad) we’re looking for recommendations on places to visit and stay.

Cliff wants to do some fishing, so recommendations for river locations would be good. He’s not keen on lake fishing, but as long as they’re very large lakes and not ponds, I think he’d be ok!

We visited Châtillon en Diois years ago and they had a two week arts and wine festival, with the town fountain dispensing red wine instead of water - so you understand the type of festivals we’re looking for :rofl:

All suggestions gratefully received!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
On a Friday and Saturday night settle down for the weekend having found a fete or marche nuit (night market) which are basically p ups for the locals with local food and a disco or similar. We have done a few and each one has ended up messy as you buy the wine by the bottle.
One we went to in the Dordogne they didnt have an aire so we asked the mayor and he just put us outside his gaffe for the night

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
When we were there in those months, we always tried to go high Ventoux or Alsace for instance but every town or village in France does something. But you will need find somewhere cooler.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Loire region around Saumur may work for you, to combine fishing and wine based activities. There are riverside aires and campsites to choose from and the Festivini festival of wine culture runs from June to September.
Cliff has said the Loire would be a good place for fishing so I’ll look into the Festivini - thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Last July (early) we headed to east France and it wasn’t as busy as it was in October.
We visited Lac De Settons, Vandenesse en Auxois (canal and pond fishing) then down to Bourgogne. We weren’t looking for fishing spots but there was lots of water.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Try the camping card park with privilege pack then you can pre book and guarantee a place for the night or two, if the fishing is poor move on! -

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
IMG_2950.jpeg
IMG_2842.jpeg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Cliff has said the Loire would be a good place for fishing so I’ll look into the Festivini - thanks.
If you do go to Loire at Saumur, try this festival - it’s great. Hosted by local wine owners so it flows freely at a euro a glass. The racing is absolute madness but the motorcycle sidecars are the best! All the locals are out in the middle of the “track” with long tables for food and drink. Music too. It is the most French thing I have ever been to (3 times).

Here is a link to a tiny bit of video I made last time but I missed the acrobatics of the sidecar riders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you do go to Loire at Saumur, try this festival - it’s great. Hosted by local wine owners so it flows freely at a euro a glass. The racing is absolute madness but the motorcycle sidecars are the best! All the locals are out in the middle of the “track” with long tables for food and drink. Music too. It is the most French thing I have ever been to (3 times).

Here is a link to a tiny bit of video I made last time but I missed the acrobatics of the sidecar riders.

Thanks Annie, that looks brilliant.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, keep them coming!

Mar 19, 2020
south of France
Funster No
MH
1991 swift kontiki
Exp
4years
I know - we must be mad!

We usually go over in September, but wanted to experience some festivals and fetes, which usually happen in the summer months.

So, and with the knowledge that France is hosting the Olympics, (I know - we are truly mad) we’re looking for recommendations on places to visit and stay.

Cliff wants to do some fishing, so recommendations for river locations would be good. He’s not keen on lake fishing, but as long as they’re very large lakes and not ponds, I think he’d be ok!

We visited Châtillon en Diois years ago and they had a two week arts and wine festival, with the town fountain dispensing red wine instead of water - so you understand the type of festivals we’re looking for :rofl:

All suggestions gratefully received!
Try down south in the Aude , Carcassonne is a world heritage city and well worth a visit, the river Aude passes through it and you can easily get a permit to fish it. You are within an hour of the Med, also the pyrenees mountains are very close. I have lived here in this area for 24 years and so am a little biased, but it is said that the Aude has everything that France has to offer in one county

Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
We're off to the Loire - Orleans to Saumur (ish) - on our first foreign Moho trip in June to early July. Been looking to see if there are any fêtes and festivals en-route but not found many. Are we a bit too early in the year, given it's not peak hol season?

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
Bouchmaine has a nice site right on the river. It has all the facilities you need. The hotel just down from the site has a fire work display and live music on bastiel day.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Jazz á Junas is a brilliant Jazz festival that takes place in an old quarry at night. Nearby, Sommières is a ‘must visit’

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Try down south in the Aude , Carcassonne is a world heritage city and well worth a visit, the river Aude passes through it and you can easily get a permit to fish it. You are within an hour of the Med, also the pyrenees mountains are very close. I have lived here in this area for 24 years and so am a little biased, but it is said that the Aude has everything that France has to offer in one county
Thanks for that Ashley. We’ve visited those areas many times in the past, and have always enjoyed our time there.

I think we’re homing in on the Loire area, but you never know!

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
We're off to the Loire - Orleans to Saumur (ish) - on our first foreign Moho trip in June to early July. Been looking to see if there are any fêtes and festivals en-route but not found many. Are we a bit too early in the year, given it's not peak hol season?
It might not be the kind of festival you're after but the International Garden Festival at Chaumont sur Loire is a good day out, lots of interesting display gardens to see (not all pretty pretty, some quite whacky) and the ticket can include the chateau itself and impressive fancy old stables. There is a reasonably priced Camping Municipal in the town too.

https://domaine-chaumont.fr/en/international-garden-festival

https://www.camping-chaumont-sur-loire.com/?lang=en

Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
June 21st is International music day. Many towns will have free music performances that day, or the nearest weekend. Keep your eyes peeled for posters at the boulangerie! 😉

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
June 21st is International music day. Many towns will have free music performances that day, or the nearest weekend. Keep your eyes peeled for posters at the boulangerie! 😉
We’re at a ukulele festival in St Merryn on that day - making our own Music (Cliff’ll be in the bar) :rofl:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We've been to France several times in July. It is French holiday season but unless there is a specific festival on the aires dont tend to be that full, I suspect because the families are on the campsites and the oldies stay home like ours do but France is a lot bigger with a lot more choices.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We've been to France several times in July. It is French holiday season but unless there is a specific festival on the aires dont tend to be that full, I suspect because the families are on the campsites and the oldies stay home like ours do but France is a lot bigger with a lot more choices.
We used to go to France in the school holidays, but that was in a boat and then a caravan, so always on campsites or marinas.

Since we’ve had the motorhome we’ve gone May, June and September, but as we want to go to Beni in January, we are giving July and August a go so we don’t mess up our 90 days.

We’re staying away from the coast, so revisiting the inland options again.

Can’t wait to enjoy the fêtes and festivals!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes i was right, you get.

Book in advance on all sites of the network

Book for the same day with SecuriPlace

Enter and exit the area as many times as you want with the guarantee of having a pitch anytime
I’ve looked at this, and will be upgrading to the premium package before we go away. 👍

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
I’ve looked at this, and will be upgrading to the premium package before we go away. 👍
The only trouble is you still can't count on a place being available as no one polices it properly. If other users decide to spread out or park a trailer in one of the spots and refuse to co-operate you can be snookered. Camping Car Park say to just call them if such a problem occurs and they will sort it out but I called several times when we had this difficulty at Fontaine de Vaucluse and it wasn't resolved so we ended up parked on the "road" separating two rows of motorhomes which wasn't great.

Mar 7, 2022
Alderney
Funster No
MH
Just looking
On a Friday and Saturday night settle down for the weekend having found a fete or marche nuit (night market) which are basically p ups for the locals with local food and a disco or similar. We have done a few and each one has ended up messy as you buy the wine by the bottle.
One we went to in the Dordogne they didnt have an aire so we asked the mayor and he just put us outside his gaffe for the night
Good morning All
Can you help!!
We are following friends on our first venture abroad, from Calais straight down to Le Brasilia on the south coast, staying there 6 nights and then working our way back up through France for the second week on our own, (scary stuff)
Can you tell me if we require a Crit Air sticker for our motorhome? we have no intention of going into Paris
I have ordered Angles Morts stickers, we are over 3.5t
Best regards

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good morning All
Can you help!!
We are following friends on our first venture abroad, from Calais straight down to Le Brasilia on the south coast, staying there 6 nights and then working our way back up through France for the second week on our own, (scary stuff)
Can you tell me if we require a Crit Air sticker for our motorhome? we have no intention of going into Paris
I have ordered Angles Morts stickers, we are over 3.5t
Best regards
We have the Crit Air sticker just in case. It’s a one off purchase, and is quite straightforward to buy.

Have a lovely time - that seems a lot of travelling in two weeks!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back