LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ok, so my plans for German Xmas markets are descending into rats##t, so I've turned my attention to possibly a weeks bumble round France. I have snow chains, I have snow tyres, I KNOW the water may be off on most aires, I KNOW it may be cold, where can I go that’s interesting? I’ve done a bit of France on the Harley (WW1&2 stuff) I’m looking for nice aires in nice villages to spend a day or so and move on. We’re triple jabbed, and not stupid, so if you’re gonna tell me how I should be spending my leave, and don’t travel, don’t bother, keep your covid opinions to yourself.
Should I be sending for my crit air now?😁

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
If it’s Christmas markets you’re after I’d go to the Alsace. We did it a few years ago, plenty of small towns and villages with markets if you want to avoid the more famous ones. That’s if they are still on of course.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Assuming you are coming into Northern France Gravelines then onto Brugge or Iper.

Heading south Strasbourg, Colmar and the Alsace regions are good ie equisheim, ricqweiller, obernai.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Thanks guys but I’m thinking (yes dangerous I know) but if the German, markets are closed, those over the border in France will be rammed, so probably scrap the Xmas market idea for this year.
Thinking of heading out Quimper/Brest way out, what’s it like out there for a weeks bumble about? Have you been round here Lenny HB

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks guys but I’m thinking (yes dangerous I know) but if the German, markets are closed, those over the border in France will be rammed, so probably scrap the Xmas market idea for this year.
Thinking of heading out Quimper/Brest way out, what’s it like out there for a weeks bumble about? Have you been round here Lenny HB
Quimper is nice for a day or two(it’s pronounced camper or so I was told by the locals) not sure how much will be open in December 🤷‍♂️ St.Malo is ok for a day also. 👍

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Ok, so my plans for German Xmas markets are descending into rats##t, so I've turned my attention to possibly a weeks bumble round France. I have snow chains, I have snow tyres, I KNOW the water may be off on most aires, I KNOW it may be cold, where can I go that’s interesting? I’ve done a bit of France on the Harley (WW1&2 stuff) I’m looking for nice aires in nice villages to spend a day or so and move on. We’re triple jabbed, and not stupid, so if you’re gonna tell me how I should be spending my leave, and don’t travel, don’t bother, keep your covid opinions to yourself.
How do people get hold of water if the aires close off the supplies please? Is there certain dates when most of them are turned off and back on again?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Honfleur (near Le Havre) and Dinan (near St Malo) are both worthy stopovers for a day or two.
whats the chances of getting on the aire at honfleur sat 4th Dec and what’s the best time to try and get on the aire?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would check the forecast the day before and then decide. Lots of beautiful towns and vilages. If you are into military no need to go any further than Normandy, weather permitting. I doubt you will need chains unlesd you go alps.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
whats the chances of getting on the aire at honfleur sat 4th Dec and what’s the best time to try and get on the aire?
The great unknown. We tried to get on last week and it was full. Apparently it has been packed for weeks.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
If near Arras on a Saturday the market is brilliant. One of the biggest and best in France. So they say. The two squares are very picturesque. Not sure how much Christmas content there is.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
If you only have a week then staying north of Loire seems a good idea. Countryside not at its most beautiful this time of year so I’d head for attractive towns. Montreuil is worth visiting especially for Saturday market. It may also be worth googling for any towns doing anything special for Christmas.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
What about the Champagne/Auxerre region? Nice champagne towns, nice river and canal side villages. Auxerre is good for a visit with overnight across the river. Lots of nice places to overnight.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
If near Arras on a Saturday the market is brilliant. One of the biggest and best in France. So they say. The two squares are very picturesque. Not sure how much Christmas content there is.
Arras has a great christmas market in the main square.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Crit Air issue can take 20 working days. Ours was processed in about 11 working days

Steve

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We stayed at the Aire in Honfleur about 6 weeks ago - early October. It's massive, so although it was busy, there were still plenty of spaces. I'd be surprised if it was full in December. However these are strange times. The aires in southern Spain are suddenly filling up. Failed to get into one earlier today, and my second choice only had a couple of spaces. Seems like the whole of northern Europe has moved south for some winter sun (and low covid rates).

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well folks, we think we’re heading for Brittany, any tips on places to go and any aires that we shouldn’t miss, as we’ve only got a week we can’t afford to plod aimlessly, come on where should we not miss out?

Thanks Ady

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do people get hold of water if the aires close off the supplies please? Is there certain dates when most of them are turned off and back on again?
Churchyards & cemeteries, popular Aires like Honfluer will have water on as will Camping Car parks Aires.
If you know you might have trouble getting water only have a shower every other day that's what we do, thencan last over a week if needed.
Honfluer Aire is huge penly of room when we were there last week. A lot of the French leave between 9:30 and 11:00 so late morning is a good time if you want to choose your spot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back