Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
From tomorrow’s Telegraph……….

Government considers putting France on red list as beta variant fears grow​

Officials said to be alarmed about prevalence of the strain, which is believed to be significantly higher than levels globally

ByHarry Yorke, WHITEHALL EDITOR
Ministers are considering adding France to the travel red list, The Telegraph has learnt, with officials ordered to conduct a "deep dive" into the data amid mounting concern over the spread of the beta variant.
Senior Whitehall sources said the proposal was discussed at a meeting on Wednesday as part of the review of international travel, which saw the Balearic Islands demoted to the amber list only a fortnight after turning green.
Insiders with knowledge of the discussions said the recommendation to move France from amber to red, requiring all arrivals to undergo hotel quarantine for 10 days, was based on an analysis by the Joint Biosecurity Centre (JBC).
Officials are said to be alarmed about the prevalence of the beta, or South African, variant in the country, which is said to be significantly higher than levels globally.
But others with knowledge of the meeting said there were "mixed opinions" about how to deal with the situation, with ministers agreeing to monitor it closely.
The JBC and the Department for Health have been asked to "interrogate" data coming out of France. A number of meetings are expected to take place in the coming days, with sources signalling on Thursday night that the situation could be discussed at a meeting of the Covid-O Cabinet sub-committee as early as Monday.

Deleted User
Pot calling the kettle black?
Almost 49000 new cases in the UK reported today.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Pot calling the kettle black?
Almost 49000 new cases in the UK reported today.
Quite, but that’s the Delta variant at play. This is a different and worse one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve supported the government in all the actions taken so far but now, with the high numbers of people vacillated, I think we have to let go of the regulation and lockdown and start taking some chances.
If we shut everything down as soon as a threat appears we will get nowhere.
We just have to be sensible and take responsibility for our own safety.
Let common sense rule.

Richard.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I’ve supported the government in all the actions taken so far but now, with the high numbers of people vacillated, I think we have to let go of the regulation and lockdown and start taking some chances.
Let common sense rule.

Richard.
I completely agree, but if a variant overcomes the vaccine we will be back at March 2020. You can go to France, even if it’s red, you just have to make sure you don’t bring a variant back by stopping in a hotel for two weeks.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Who remembers exchange controls?
Disruption of travel achieves the same thing or am I a cynic.
If your a senior business director or minister, it does not apply it seems, as with football supporters I am told.
Leveling where?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’d just about decided not to go. News like this is very unsettling, so I think we’re doing the south coast this year.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
With all countries having pretty much the same variants but maybe at different levels, what is the point?
Might as well say anyone who moves from, say London , to Manchester has got to quarantine.
It's going to move whatever you do, and what about all the lorry drivers and others who just come and go to Europe all the time, are they immune.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Let common sense rule.

Richard.
Some think it is the government that has vacillated not the people, who have done the right thing and got vaccinated.

Deleted User
Quite, but that’s the Delta variant at play. This is a different and worse one.

Regardless of the variant there is a massive difference in both the rate of increase and the daily increases.
In the UK yesterday 48500 new cases and 63 deaths.
In France, from memory around 3800 new cases and 16 deaths.
France is a much larger country with a similar population and most cases are confined to a few areas.
To put the UK increases into perspective, in the USA with a population of around 350 million there were 35561 yesterday.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Some think it is the government that has vacillated not the people, who have done the right thing and got vaccinated.
I saw that but didn't know it wasn't a posh word for vaccinated so didn't comment :winky: :winky: :giggle:

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think the problem is that as the senior ministerial team would not consider themselves as experts on viruses they have to take the advice of those that are.
The medics and scientists are by nature cautious people who want to see fact based evidence before making decisions so that is then fed through to ministers.
If ministers then decide to ignore that cautious advice they will be pilloried for putting public lives at risk.
Damned if they do, dammed if they don’t!

Richard.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just a reminder that the vaccines work against all 40,000 current variants of c19
I’m not concerned about catching Covid, it’s the uncertainty that I’m not happy with.
My OH is also concerned about the testing and sourcing the necessary tests.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We're in France right now and guess what- it's just as it normally is only less brits. I would say we have less close contact with people here than we would on the south coast of England.
It’s not how safe we feel, it’s the ever changing rules that’s concerning us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Regardless of the variant there is a massive difference in both the rate of increase and the daily increases.
In the UK yesterday 48500 new cases and 63 deaths.
In France, from memory around 3800 new cases and 16 deaths.
France is a much larger country with a similar population and most cases are confined to a few areas.
To put the UK increases into perspective, in the USA with a population of around 350 million there were 35561 yesterday.
Just announcing the positive cases is meaningless without the number of tests. The UK is bound to be far higher as we are testing far more people.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Harries still encouraged by latest hospital data​

1626430626243.png

ReutersCopyright: Reuters
Our main story today is of course Chris Whitty's warning that Covid hospital numbers could become "scary" is they keep doubling at the current rate.
But, responding to those latest variant Dr Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency, is still striking an optimistic tone as she assesses the data.
She says: "Case rates are still high and rising, but it is encouraging that the increase in cases still does not appear to be associated with a similar increase in hospitalisations and deaths.
""This is testament to the continued success of the vaccination programme in reducing the incidence of severe disease."
She urges members the public to get both doses of the vaccine "as soon as you are eligible".
But like Mr Whitty, she goes on to warn people to "continue to exercise caution" as restrictions are eased.

Deleted User
Why is it? I'd have thought stopping more infection coming in is good, no matter how much is already here.
In that case need to close the borders to all but essential travel from anywhere, which I am not averse to.
This is a worldwide pandemic and France is not as bad as many others.
Everywhere should be on the red list, masks should be mandatory, all bars, campsites, restaurants closed etc etc.
Then see what happens to the economy.

Deleted User
Just announcing the positive cases is meaningless without the number of tests. The UK is bound to be far higher as we are testing far more people.
Have you got stats to back up that statement?

Deleted User
Just do a search, easy enough to find the info.
Not so easy, please post a link.
The best I can find is a coloured map that seems to show that we are testing around double compared to France.
Positive tests are nearly 13 times higher in the UK.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
With all countries having pretty much the same variants but maybe at different levels, what is the point?
Might as well say anyone who moves from, say London , to Manchester has got to quarantine.
It's going to move whatever you do, and what about all the lorry drivers and others who just come and go to Europe all the time, are they immune.
Not immune but we would starve without them. It's the lesser of the two evils.Any way truck drivers are usually solitary.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back