France, but where shall we go? (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2021
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 1974
We have just booked our ferry to Calais for the 5th June. Have around 1 month to mooch about and think most of this time will probably be spent in France. But we have made zero plans. I quite like the idea of cruising down the west coast but that's about as final as things get.

What would be your one, must not miss, place? We'll be happy to use a mixture of Aires and campsites. We have ACSI and CCP set up. Cycling will be something we intend to do lots of. It's just me and the Wife. Mid 50's. No dog or sprog!
6th June is 80th anniversary of D Day, just relax and do the D Day beaches and join in with the parties and music

Jun 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
6th June is 80th anniversary of D Day, just relax and do the D Day beaches and join in with the parties and music
La Fleche is lovely nice town Camping Route D’or also Chinon camping de L’lle Auger there is an aire in Honfleur

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
It sure about parking/ camping w/b 2nd June around the beaches….
I’d certainly be trying to book
But are there a lot of fields opened up by farmers ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Aire at Honfleur adjacent to the Harbour and 100mtres from many Restaurants need to arrive no later than 1400hrs to obtain a place
Not been anywhere near full last few days.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
We have just booked our ferry to Calais for the 5th June. Have around 1 month to mooch about and think most of this time will probably be spent in France. But we have made zero plans. I quite like the idea of cruising down the west coast but that's about as final as things get.

What would be your one, must not miss, place? We'll be happy to use a mixture of Aires and campsites. We have ACSI and CCP set up. Cycling will be something we intend to do lots of. It's just me and the Wife. Mid 50's. No dog or sprog!
Brittany and the West Coast are heavenly!

Aug 20, 2023
Monmouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato
We stayed on a lovely Acsi registered site in a lovely party of the Dordogne last year. It's just outside of the Bastide Village of Domme, the site was on the river bank too. Lovely pool bar and restaurant, very peaceful and easy to get to. The Medieval town of Sarlat is about 15 mins away and well worth a visit.It was called Camping Le Perpetuum.
The whole area is beautiful.
Yes we been here great site

Dec 17, 2013
Littlehampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo A698g
Exp
Since 2010
Aire at Honfleur adjacent to the Harbour and 100mtres from many Restaurants need to arrive no later than 1400hrs to obtain a place
I always thought it's a horrible place to stay. In 2022 we drove straight through and stayed at a free one at Saint Riviere. If you have bikes, it's a short 2 mile ride back to town.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Carcassonne in our view is the biggest tourist trap in France. We avoid it every time like the plague. We prefer Mirepoix.

It has to be done once but once done we dont see the attraction of returning .... ever
Go there around Christmas, very quiet and lovely when it gets dark, with the lights on the walls. I wouldn't go in the summer.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I always thought it's a horrible place to stay. In 2022 we drove straight through and stayed at a free one at Saint Riviere. If you have bikes, it's a short 2 mile ride back to town.
It was fine when we were there last week. Plenty of space between vans, leccy & services included in the€12 per night cost, nice & quiet at night whats not to like?

May 29, 2017
Ayr,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
virgin
Not been anywhere near full last few days.
Honfluer is very pretty however, it is also way overpriced - 8 years ago small beer and small bottle water = 9 euro.
Those prices put me off Honfluer!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

What do you like doing? What are you interested in? What aren't you interested in?

Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
You can get a bus (not expensive) from Honfleur to Deuville and Trouville an excellent day out!
We enjoyed the aire at Honfleur and didn’t find prices much different from other French towns.
Everywhere is more expensive now!

May 29, 2017
Ayr,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
virgin
Hi Birdy,

We are all differrent!

I am not you, but this is what I would do

Having one month I would spend my first week( or less) driving slowly south towards San sebastian in north eastern Spain .

Spend two weeks in this lovely part of Spain and my last week (or less) driving slowly through France to the ferry home.

Value for money is important to me and Spain is top notch for value! if you like to eat out often and visit a few bars!

Walk in to a bar/restaurant in Spain and the owners are delighted to see you!

Vist a bar/restaurant in France an they think they are doing you a favour

ps.those of you with French rose tinted specs , can get your short lengths of 4x2 ready to skelp me on the back of the head!

OP
OP
B
Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Hi Birdy,

We are all differrent!

I am not you, but this is what I would do

Having one month I would spend my first week( or less) driving slowly south towards San sebastian in north eastern Spain .

Spend two weeks in this lovely part of Spain and my last week (or less) driving slowly through France to the ferry home.

Value for money is important to me and Spain is top notch for value! if you like to eat out often and visit a few bars!

Walk in to a bar/restaurant in Spain and the owners are delighted to see you!

Vist a bar/restaurant in France an they think they are doing you a favour

ps.those of you with French rose tinted specs , can get your short lengths of 4x2 ready to skelp me on the back of the head!
Thanks for this. The loose plan is to see how far south we get, and if we manage to get to the Spanish border then we may well head to San Sebastian or another northern town/city. Certainly I'd like to see Biarritz so we'll only be an hour or so from Spain at that point.

My only previous motorhoming experience in France was in October from the border with Luxembourg, back up to Calais and everywhere seemed really quiet. I'm hopeful that June on the West coast will be a bit busier/livelier. But I'm grateful to everyone for their replies so far.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
North east France more industrial but just a bit further down is the champagne region.
North west France Brittany and Normandy. Lots to do countryside is good.
Central France and the region around Biarritz is flat and boring ( imo)
Massive central region and the volcano national park is great.
Jura region loads of waterfalls and start of the Alps. Provence gets hot and touristy, southern France for beachs better of in Spain if that's you kick.
Pyrenees great mountain scenery.
There is loads pick a. Area and explore that bit. Don't try and do France in one go.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks to suarvecarve and his Nothernish France Blog, we are at Cleres now. A lovely free Aire (Although the water is currently off), a really nice village with an animal park that is worth a visit.
I was planning on going to the Dordogne this trip but if the weather is up to it, we may spend most of it in the Normandy area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back