Found a Stolen Motorhome Today! (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Feeling pleased with myself today as I found a stolen motorhome. On Monday night there was a report of a motorhome stolen in our street on a Facebook Group that some of us in the street belong to. I didn't know the owner but it was always parked on the street usually blocked in by a car presumably for security. Today I was driving to Exeter and the A380 dual carriageway was blocked solid with traffic so I decided to cut through the lanes to Chudleigh to get on the A38 and resume my journey. On the way, in the lanes I spotted the back end of a motorhome tucked in a leafy glade rammed right up against a field gate with its number plates ripped off, the drivers window open and the ignition barrel cylinder ripped out for hot wiring. It was the Eldiss Autostrader that had been stolen so I 'phoned 101 and reported it to the police and then messaged the Facebook Group with my mobile number to get the owner to phone me. Anyway the MoHo was the stolen one and has now been recovered to the Police Pound. Owner is very happy and we have spoken on the phone and he is very grateful. Feeling well chuffed! Bloody Travellers thwarted. There was evidently a group encamped up the road from where I found it.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
It was our forum that made me aware that thieves hide them locally to check for a tracker so I was on the lookout for it so I was just so lucky to go out of my way through the lanes and spot it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Talking to a dog walker this morning she said it had only been there for a couple of days and there was a travellers encampment further back up the road so I daresay it was those thieving bar stewards!

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Great result, well done. Always been sceptical of Facebook etc but taking a new view after this!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
shame the dog walker hadn't thought to report a motorhome parked overnight with the windows open o_O

lucky you did and had the time to stop and sort it properly :)(y)
To be fair to the dog walker she could not see the open window and nor could I until I squeezed between the bushes to get to it.

I think if your not a Motorhome person then you don't take any notice although she was aware of the travelers somewhere up the road.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Friends that live just around the corner from us had their Transit based motorhome nicked last year. Through Facebook it was found undamaged a couple of miles away, guess what, near a travellers illegal camp.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Friends that live just around the corner from us had their Transit based motorhome nicked last year. Through Facebook it was found undamaged a couple of miles away, guess what, near a travellers illegal camp.

I don’t believe it, where’s @buttons to put you straight on the traveling community.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Good result, would have been even better if it hadn’t been taken in the first place. Maybe we need a few MoHo’s converted to become traps, as soon as the perp shuts the door everything locks them in until the Police arrive.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Find out who it is insured with and ask them if there is a reward..

I did once when I found a caravan back in the early 1980`s...

Got ÂŁ500 quidsies.... two weeks wages back then... (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I fitted what i thought was an ultimate deterrent to theft when my wife had a market business and her Transit van was parked outside overnight loaded..I cut a thin piece of ply_wood to the same shape as drivers seat base,,,drilled lots of holes in it and then placed long darning needles in the holes..Placed a piece of foam over the needles and then covered this lethal cushion with a nice floral cover..I used to place the cushion on drivers seat before we locked van up..Unfortunately no one attempted theft..A policeman i told about it said that if someone had been injured i could have possibly been prosecuted,,,i said i know but we will still have the van and the satisfaction that some scroat won't sit down for a very long time...Think i may make another for my camper,,,BUSBY,,,

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Find out who it is insured with and ask them if there is a reward..

I did once when I found a caravan back in the early 1980`s...

Got ÂŁ500 quidsies.... two weeks wages back then... (y)

I was just pleased to do someone a good turn. Evidently his wife has MS so they would have missed being able to get away in the van.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Aye Lenny the so called "Travellers" are a real scourge!! - I had a run in in France with the "3.14 Yale opener" twats :cautious: - they broke into a quiet rural municipal campsite damaging the barrier, refused to pay & refused to leave!!:mad:

All Southern Irish but their MoHos, cars & caravans were all British registered with big GB stickers on them :confused:

Police came & using me as interpreter "persuaded" them to leave!! :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aye Lenny the so called "Travellers" are a real scourge!! - I had a run in in France with the "3.14 Yale opener" twats :cautious: - they broke into a quiet rural municipal campsite damaging the barrier, refused to pay & refused to leave!!:mad:

All Southern Irish but their MoHos, cars & caravans were all British registered with big GB stickers on them :confused:

Police came & using me as interpreter "persuaded" them to leave!! :)
That sounds scary, at least the police have big guns so they won't argue too much with them.
Water cannons would have been more effective.:D

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I'm defiantly not supporting the actions of travelers as I'm well aware of their abilitys to make things disappear, having friends farming on the romney marsh in Kent who regularly had to go and collect stuff back from the local camp. But there's also plenty of other scum about ready to take our hard earned purchases. Easy for non traveller to park it near a camp knowing that someone else will get the blame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back