Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I MAY (I stress the word May!) think of downsizing the van next year. The van I fancy has a Transit chassis. However, I’ve read many a post on stolen vehicles with a quote like, “Yet another Transit......What do you expect, it’s a Transit...” etc.

Leaving alarms to one side for a mo’, I’m aware that the cab door locks can be modded, or different and additional locks fitted, BUT, what’s the point of this when the hab’ windows etc are so vulnerable. Pop a rear window and you’re in the cab!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
my thinking as well..
I've owned transits since the 80's... and thats on tyneside where they were disappearing at an alarming rate..:LOL:
I agree about the ease with which they can be entered irrespective of additional front door security..
I honestly believe that a decent alarm and some visible security devices like disc
locks pedal clamps .. will make them pass you by for an easier target..
if they have the privacy and time theres nothing that can't be taken I'm sure...
a little diy modding of wiring also helps but appreciate not everyone wants to be doing that on a new vehicle..
andy

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I honestly believe that a decent alarm and some visible security devices like disc locks pedal clamps will make them pass you by for an easier target.
So that's why you leave the broken bed down!:whistle::giggle::p

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hab & roof windows are vulnerable but window alarms & LockMouts help as a preventative measure. If buying new look for S4 & S7 flush fitting windows which are more secure. Obviously that applies to all motorhome chassis not just Ford.
One of the best things about the Transit is that with the dealer service you get Ford Assist European included at no extra cost which includes cover at home - we used this recently for our car & it was the AA. Replacement parts don't cost a fortune either.
Know the OP is aware of improving security measures but for those that don't see this for Ford https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-vans-essential-cab-security-upgrades.132770/ & this for Fiat https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-ducato-extra-locking-security-devices.142690/

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
So that's why you leave the broken bed down!:whistle::giggle::p
grant you come from Glasgow... I imagine it was the some there....at the time they wanted the engines mainly... if they couldn't steal the vehicle they had been known to cut the engines out and leave the rest.... so me bed up or down would make little difference..:LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
grant you come from Glasgow... I imagine it was the some there....at the time they wanted the engines mainly... if they couldn't steal the vehicle they had been known to cut the engines out and leave the rest.... so me bed up or down would make little difference..:LOL::LOL:
And the wheels!
Oh, and then they'd come back and steal the bricks they left it up on first time around!:D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread from 2017.

We have recently downsized to a transit based low profile coachbuilt, and I was concerned about security due to their somewhat dubious reputation.

We have alarm, immobiliser and monitored tracker. Additional deadlock and one of those Fiamma straining bars on the hab door. It is also kept n secure storage, though occassionally on the drive if we're doing something on it.

Looking at sundry videos on youtube it would appear that the most vulnerable vehicles are PVCs which still have the original rear and side doors. The rear door allows the central locking to be unlocked with a hacksaw blade and the side door can be peeled down even without tools unless fitted with extra high level locks!

The cab doors can be picked with tools available on the net, as can Fiats and probably Mercedes. I haven't seen anything available for these doors more effective than a ratchet strap though the door handles, which is cheap and would necessitate breaking a window, in which case entry could be obtained even if you had fitted an expensive deadlock.

I think a steering lock could perhaps be useful, and a lock on the reversed driving seat is a cheap but effective deterrent.

Any other bright ideas?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I quite like the idea of pedal locks where all three are covered and disc lock steering wheel covers get good revues.
gus-lopez made his own pedal locks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread from 2017.

We have recently downsized to a transit based low profile coachbuilt, and I was concerned about security due to their somewhat dubious reputation.

We have alarm, immobiliser and monitored tracker. Additional deadlock and one of those Fiamma straining bars on the hab door. It is also kept n secure storage, though occassionally on the drive if we're doing something on it.

Looking at sundry videos on youtube it would appear that the most vulnerable vehicles are PVCs which still have the original rear and side doors. The rear door allows the central locking to be unlocked with a hacksaw blade and the side door can be peeled down even without tools unless fitted with extra high level locks!

The cab doors can be picked with tools available on the net, as can Fiats and probably Mercedes. I haven't seen anything available for these doors more effective than a ratchet strap though the door handles, which is cheap and would necessitate breaking a window, in which case entry could be obtained even if you had fitted an expensive deadlock.

I think a steering lock could perhaps be useful, and a lock on the reversed driving seat is a cheap but effective deterrent.

Any other bright ideas?
relocate and put a lock on the OBD port

Fit a pedal lock

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Garrisons locks Hykee drivers door lock replacement barrel (barst@@d to fit), full pedal lock, disc lock on steering wheel. (Crook lock waste of time as they hacksaw the wheel in minutes). That’s visual deterants to slow them down.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How about an isolator switch on the driver's seat with a lever to activate which you can then remove perhaps between the handbrake and the seat box??

Something like this...

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We’ve a Hymer A class with a Transit chassis. Hymer drivers door and normal hab door. Had to fit a tracker before Comfort would insure it.

black Jake

Free Member
Jan 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
I am thinking of fitting covert flashing blues triggered by the alarm sensor which may attract the Police. I don’t think I would be prosecuted as I wouldn’t be driving but the crimes might!

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We’ve a Hymer A class with a Transit chassis. Hymer drivers door and normal hab door. Had to fit a tracker before Comfort would insure it.
Comfort just don’t want to insure fords, they quoted me 3x what I normally pay. Your a class would not stand out as a Ford apart from the wheel trims.

Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
I MAY (I stress the word May!) think of downsizing the van next year. The van I fancy has a Transit chassis. However, I’ve read many a post on stolen vehicles with a quote like, “Yet another Transit......What do you expect, it’s a Transit...” etc.

Leaving alarms to one side for a mo’, I’m aware that the cab door locks can be modded, or different and additional locks fitted, BUT, what’s the point of this when the hab’ windows etc are so vulnerable. Pop a rear window and you’re in the cab!
We have a 2015 Autotrail Tribute we use a clutch claw and a sold secure steering wheel lock plus a Tracker maybe a bit OTT
but a visual deterrent, Since I sent photos of the clutch claw to Caravan Guard I see they have started suggesting them as additional security, I know that some of the 4x4 response teams are using them on their Land rovers.as they are a prime target.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
And spin seats round and lock in position facing habitation(altho this wont stop them stealing engine)
i have a 2017 lwb black transit,and am very aware of its allure to certain people,in fact on the odd occasion we stand on a carboot,we are guaranteed to get at least 2 comments from gents (with certain accents) on what a lovely van it is ,i had a new sliding gate fitted with lock on drive. After a visit by a couple of such gentlemen But if they want summat theyll have it!
i do like it tho (touch wood ,cos im tempting fate👀)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
And spin seats round and lock in position facing habitation(altho this wont stop them stealing engine)
i have a 2017 lwb black transit,and am very aware of its allure to certain people,in fact on the odd occasion we stand on a carboot,we are guaranteed to get at least 2 comments from gents (with certain accents) on what a lovely van it is ,i had a new sliding gate fitted with lock on drive. After a visit by a couple of such gentlemen But if they want summat theyll have it!
i do like it tho (touch wood ,cos im tempting fate👀)
Mine is always first on the drive....

VW transporter in front....

Anyway if it gets nicked I'm off to get a VW crafter / man tge!!!!🤣🤣🤣

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I did an insurance quote with Comfort today.

2nd question was 'Is it a Ford?'
I have read on a website that certain Ins. Companies will not insure The later Transit due to the amounts and regularity that they are stolen...just sayin.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I’m not 100% sure Transits are that much easier to steal than other makes but that certain people find them attractive for breaking for parts or cloning. Our Ducato has a strikeback Growler, tracker, and we wire both the cab doors together with the seats reversed.
If they want it they may be able to take it eventually but the idea is to deter them from trying.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I am thinking of fitting covert flashing blues triggered by the alarm sensor which may attract the Police. I don’t think I would be prosecuted as I wouldn’t be driving but the crimes might!
If you don't switch them on and if they dont look blue they are legal.
I made some with clear high power blue LEDs and fitted them on my Land rover in the grille, looked flippin awesome at night, like an army bomb disposal vehicle 😎

During testing:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
DSCF6614.JPG

I made some with clear high power blue LEDs and fitted them on my Land rover in the grille, looked flippin awesome at night, like an army bomb disposal vehicle 😎

During testing:

This the arrangement i used on my "Autocruise Sunningdale" A long vinyl covered cable from Halfords ,threaded through the door handle & a padlock.!!

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
DSCF6613.JPG

During testing:

This is for the habitation door on the " Autocruise Sunningdale" .A Dog choke chain with quick release clips onto a sound base/fixing ,for added security at night .

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I am not bothered about them getting in the van as we leave nothing in it worth stealing --- aside from the odd bottle of whisky :drinks:

I only want to stop them nicking the whole van.
As such my idea of total security is to have a secret kill switch some where.
Even a cheap and simple battery isolator switch hidden under the bonnet -- to the starter motor maybe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back