nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am currently out in the van but whilst driving here the engine malfunction light came on. It continued to drive as normal but it did loose power on a hill so I pulled over and stopped the engine for a few minutes. When I started it again it seemed fine. The same thing happened a few weeks ago so I took it to the garage and they said the fault was a turbo charger under boost. They reset it and thought it was a glitch as they couldn't see anything and also said it needed a good run.
I'm supposed to be going to another site further from home later this week but I'm worried I may cause danage by driving it. The options are continue as planned or return home and go to the garage again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you. I've had a look but I'm not technical enough to really understand it. Is it an air intake problem?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Must admit i haven't got a clue hopefully somebody who knows will see your post

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
You don't say how old your vehicle is but the most likely causes are in the following order
A leak in the pipework between the turbo and the inlet manifold but this should also be easy to find as you should hear the roar of leaking air pressure compared to how it used sound
The variable vane turbo actuator is stuck causing low boost pressure. This is not easy to check but will need the operating arm rotating to ensure it's not seized (common when engine not used for weeks at a time)
The EGR valve being stuck open again causing low boost pressure. Can be stripped and cleaned but usually needs replacement for effective repair
You will probably save time and stress if you get a good diesel mechanic to look at it if you are unsure what to do

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I found this for transit generic P codes

P0229 FORD - Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch 'C' Circuit Intermittent
Repair Importance Level: 3/3
Repair Difficulty Level: 2/3

Possible causes
Faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) harness is open or shorted Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit poor electrical connection

Put simply.......Throttle position sensor tells the engine management computer how far down the pedal is then signals the injectors to shove more or less fuel in.

You need a stealer to check the code fully.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Or drive it like you stole it for a few miles and see if it sorts itself out!

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you for your advice, I'm taking it to the garage tomorrow so they can have a good look at it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Italian Tuneup needed, thrash it hard for a few miles of hard work, probably a load of carbon build up in the EGR and turbo pipes, Stuck wastegate also a possibility.

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you to all those who responded. The van has been to the Ford garage and the diagnostics say that it's the actuator that's the problem. It's booked in next week and they are going to send the offending part off for a repair which is apparently a much cheaper option than a new one.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not sure if it helps, my Vauxhall astra gets a turbo actuator fault from time to time. It is a small vacuum pipe that has disconnected that is the culprit, to fix it, I simply reconnect the pipe and clear the fault code. Could this be a similar issue on the Transit?

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for that. The trouble is I'm not at all technical but I would like to check it out. Can you tell me where I would find the pipe please?

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My local trusted garage has recommended putting 2 bottles of Forte diesel turbo cleaner in a full fuel tank then driving it carefully for a couple of hundred miles. He think the vanes on the turbo may have carbon build up on them which is causing the problem and that this is worth a try before going to the expense of repairing the the actuator.
Have any of you had experience of this product or have any additional advice on using it?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks for that. The trouble is I'm not at all technical but I would like to check it out. Can you tell me where I would find the pipe please?
Can't help precisely, but if you look on the exhaust side, the turbo will have an actuator. There are normally 2 thin black hoses going into it, these are vacuum hoses, the idea being that as the vacuum increases the turbo is actuated and boosts the power.
They have little plastic or rubber connectors, just push them in. Do this when the engine is cold, the turbo gets very hot.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
The ford 2.2 has a modulator attached to the body of the turbo housing which moves the variable vane arm. You should not be able to move the actuator arm at any time as the modulator is a solid state unit requiring a set voltage to move it. The more likely cause is the MAP sensor located in the inlet manifold is gunked up. This sensor monitors the boost pressure reporting back to the EMS which in turn controls the modulator on the turbo.

Below pic shows the modulator on the 2.4 duratorq engine which is the same as the 2.2. These modulators have suffered issues in that the wiring harness which routed over the engine suffers from stretching and heat damage. This was the case below and a harness extension was fitted to alleviate the issue from re occurring.

Below shows the location of the MAP sensor on the inlet manifold

Once the MAP sensor has been removed you can see the sensor end is gummed up by exhaust gasses/soot courtesy of the EGR valve.

A quick blast of carburettor cleaner will remove the gunk prior to refitting.

As to the throttle pedal dtc, unplug the accelerator pedal harness connection and check for damage. These units tend to have two states of existence, they either work or they don't. If you can get access to a diagnostic tool then you can see in real time what the readings are when you press the pedal which also will confirm if the issue lies there.

hTH.

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you so much for the very helpful detailed replies and photos. I will certainly check it out tomorrow.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can't see how burnt exhaust gas can clean a turbo or EGR valve.
The cleaner will get burnt along with the diesel producing soot and pollutants.
A bit like washing your hands while wearing rubber gloves.
In my opinion....Just a bit of clever marketing for those who think it works..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back