FLTs in the news - Majorca 'Shanty Town' (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Majorca Daily Bulletin
Residents of Ciudad Jardín in Palma are "sick and tired" of what they describe as the "invasion" of motorhomes and camper vans. Jeroni Sureda, president of the local residents association, says that it is as if a "shanty town" of vehicles is being created.

On Friday, a letter with 330 signatures was registered with the town hall. Addressed to the mayor, José Hila, residents list the consequences of the increasing number of motorhomes: "Degradation of the neighbourhood, a negative visual impact, insecurity, filth, discharges of sewage into drains or directly into the sea, lack of control, the transformation of our beautiful neighbourhood and coastal area into a motorhome campsite." The letter states that "we will do everything legally necessary" to protect Ciudad Jardín.

Sureda adds that there is illegal rental of vehicles and some "shady dealing". A very strange "little universe" is being created that needs to be stopped.

The residents are demanding that the mayor implements an action plan to solve the problem. This should include the provision of areas for motorhomes to park. There aren't any in Palma. Sureda suggests that spaces could be made in town hall car parks that are away from the city centre, e.g. those of Son Fuster and Son Sardina.

Sureda explains that years ago there were just two or three motorhomes. They were "quite funny" and neighbours would help if the occupants needed anything. "But the word spread. There are now forty or fifty, and the number's going up."

There was once, he says, a two-metre high vehicle parked for several days a meter and a half from his house. The view was blocked, while whoever was in the motorhome could see into his property and could know the comings and goings. This sort of things creates "a great deal of unease".

Hardly any of the occupants are tourists. The Balearic Motorhome Association has told Sureda that very few people come to Mallorca for caravan holidays, precisely because there is a lack of sites for them to park. "But we don't care if they are tourists or not. What we ask is that the town hall takes measures."

1622982073183.png

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I faced with a similar situation would be far from happy, unfortunately common sense escapes some of the population.
If self regulation fails, the consequence is enforcement.
Regretfully this is likely to spread throughout Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Majorca is not alone in this unwelcome invasion, any easy touch area with beach access anywhere in Europe will be abused in the same way by this ever growing number of freeloading bedouin converts.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It would be expensive to take a ‘van to the Balearics! o_O
Not too expensive.....

I go at least twice a year - 'when allowed' (y)

Most of the motorhomes in the article are not tourists. More and more vans being used as cheap accommodation in Mallorca

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hmm, We have the Irish Travellers here... Spain has the British FLT's.
Laws about to be brought in here, no doubt soon there will be new laws there.

Anyone seeing a pattern?

The minority are ruining it for the majority again sadly :(

Reactions: POH
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

Anyone seeing a pattern?

They are not Brits !
Dutch, German but mainly Spanish reg...............

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Anyone seeing a pattern?

The article states that there are mainly not tourists.

Furthermore, for comparison, how are these folk comparable to Irish travellers?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Furthermore, for comparison, how are these folk comparable to Irish travellers?
Big group, making a mess, dumping human sewerage and not moving on.

The article states that there are mainly not tourists.
Not clear what they meant by that. I took it to mean they are not on holiday for a week, but actually living in their van. I didn't read it to mean they were locals.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

I think I must be on someone's ignore list

There are NO 'big groups' on Mallorca, the vans being lived in are not tourists or 'travellers' they are mainly Spanish living 'on the cheap'....

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Not clear what they meant by that. I took it to mean they are not on holiday for a week, but actually living in their van. I didn't read it to mean they were locals.

"Hardly any of the occupants are tourists." i read the that as a being they were locals. Not peeps travelling from overseas.

As for dumping of sewerage and not moving on...that is the same as many other FLTs isn't it?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think I must be on someone's ignore list
Nope, I have no one on my ignore list.

Some posts I am just not interested in answering, or answering would just duplicate what I answered on someone else post.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
"Hardly any of the occupants are tourists." i read the that as a being they were locals. Not peeps travelling from overseas.

As for dumping of sewerage and not moving on...that is the same as many other FLTs isn't it?

My point still stands. They are doing the pretty much the same things the Irish travellers do here and will have similar results. The minority spoiling it for the majority.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
My point still stands. They are doing the pretty much the same things the Irish travellers do here and will have similar results. The minority spoiling it for the majority.

There are almost no facilities on Mallorca for camping or motorhomes (at the moment) - motorhomers that do go will find that out and probably not return -

I only take mine as I have a place there with parking, water, waste disposal - have done for 10 years, not yet seen another Brit van

The vans in the article are not tourists or 'Travellers'

Most vans are Spanish reg, either owners who take their vans to the mainland or vans used as accommodation

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Just a point of order and education

Its sewage and not sewerage

Sewerage is the conveyance of sewage down a pipeline.(y)

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
We fly at least twice a year and have done for 10 years, our place is in Cala D'or (here now) and to see a van parked up is still rare, and if you do they are usual Spanish with a spattering of Dutch and German.
I'm thinking when circumstances allow to bring the van over here to tour the island and will as a brit be paying in the region of €600 return from main land Spain so FLTs beware :giggle:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We fly at least twice a year and have done for 10 years, our place is in Cala D'or (here now) and to see a van parked up is still rare, and if you do they are usual Spanish with a spattering of Dutch and German.
I'm thinking when circumstances allow to bring the van over here to tour the island and will as a brit be paying in the region of €600 return from main land Spain so FLTs beware :giggle:
Loved Cala D’or when we were in Mallorca….but not been for about 30 years or so……I bet it’s changed since we were last there! :unsure: ;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The vans in the article are not tourists or 'Travellers'
That is missing my point. These people are going to cause issues for the majority of well behaved motorhomers. It WILL result in laws.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Loved Cala D’or when we were in Mallorca….but not been for about 30 years or so……I bet it’s changed since we were last there! :unsure: ;)
Still a gorgeous place, here's a reminder of the marina.
ps. sorry to rub it in

Thought I should point out that whilst touring mallorca I will be a FLT 😁
IMG_20210607_113809.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the vans being lived in are not tourists or 'travellers' they are mainly Spanish living 'on the cheap'....
That reminds me Vic, when I converted my van from "van" to " van with licing accomodation" Axa specifically asked 'did I live in a house' :giggle: On th eother hand it might have been that I only have the one vehicle?
They are doing the pretty much the same things the Irish travellers do here and will have similar results.
No the Irish tarvellers are doing it in a foreign country ,allowed only bu the common travel area. In Mallorca most are spaniards

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No the Irish tarvellers are doing it in a foreign country ,allowed only bu the common travel area. In Mallorca most are spaniards
That is who they are and where they are from, not what they are doing.

Note this is what I said. what they are doing. My point stands.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back