Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Hi this year will be my first trip potentially staying in my van to ski. I've been reading as much info as I can to prepare but I don't understand flot bleu??? Some websites say 15 mins of electricity for a jeton...does this really just mean I'm getting my batteries topped up? I have lpg for cooking/ heat , but keeping warm could be an issue when I run out of lpg. I don't have a generator. Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Flot bleu is a type of aire service point. It may have only a couple of sockets and the chances of you being able to park close to it to connect are remote. This is why some MH carry 50m long extention cables on reels. You could park on the service point for the time needed to charge your batteries but that won't go down well with anyone waiting to use the facility.

But if it really is 15 minutes that's not going to do much good, probably struggle to add more than 5 Ah.

You need to find aires with EHUs for every pitch. They do exist but obviously cost more.

I'm assuming your MH is fully winterised with double floors etc?

A Flot bleu looks something like the one below although this is a Euro Relais. :)

LRM_EXPORT_304769006010658_20190616_181003400.jpeg

Usually one per aire but some can do two MHs at a time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Thanks. I'm mostly hoping to stay in campsites over winter. But there may be a few resorts where I don't have that option. I'm a bit worried about how cold it might be, so I was hoping I could too up heating with electric hook up for portable heater and electric blanket. May have to splash for a generator. I'm sure it will be a learning experience ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It
Thanks. I'm mostly hoping to stay in campsites over winter. But there may be a few resorts where I don't have that option. I'm a bit worried about how cold it might be, so I was hoping I could too up heating with electric hook up for portable heater and electric blanket. May have to splash for a generator. I'm sure it will be a learning experience ;)
Depends on the power available at the hookup. It might only be 6A which won't give you much more than 1500W which at -15C or less may not be enough. You will be able to buy gas assuming you have the right adapters.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
If i run out of lpg and there is no garage selling it nearby, can I attach my lpg tank to a calor gas style canister? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but ignorant when I comes to anything technical.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes it's possible - I assume you've got a refillable system from your comments. Strangely enough there is almost exactly this discussion going on right now on the Morocco 2020 thread which might give you some answers. The only addendum I would make is you MUST use propane as butane will not "gas-off" at skiing temperatures but you probably already know that.

Basically you buy a separate hose that screws into your LPG fill point and the other end screws into an adapter for whatever "spare" bottle you buy. Check out the Gaslow site, where you can buy all you need.

If it's not a refillable system, all you need is a pigtail that connects from a local bottle to your regulator - any good local camping shop should be able to supply what you need. Bottled LPG, as DBK says, is widely available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Try to look for lower down valley sites nr ski lifts and then travel up on chairlift, this way the cold nights will not feel so bad.
The worst feeling is cold nights then you start wondering is this all worth it, as others may comment your van has to be reasonably winterised/ insulated this may mean carrying water bottles instead of the tank, layers of clothing and a good whooly hat.

Take a look at the suggested Aires on Ski thread Morillon for instance large car park but motorhome parking, toilet and some water available, pubs, restaurants, cafes, pizza all available and a good starting point.
or push the boat out and go upto La Plagne Aire in the middle of the slopes with hookup.

Keep asking on this site someone will be able to help within next couple of weeks we will all be watching where to go 2020.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back