Flat hosepipe (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Double Pain in the proverbial, if they are on a reel. The whole hose has to be off the reel to use, and then getting all the air and water out to get it to wind back on the reel.
Short lengths roll up easy and are fine for filling at aire supply points.
Cheers
Ed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Brilliant keep a reel 25m in addition to standard hose, for those occasions when you just don't want to move. Would not want to use all the time as expressed PIA to roll up.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We carried one around for 5 years without using it - mainly for the reasons already stated.

Now ditched as unnecessary for us.

So my recommendation would be: Don't bother! ;) (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have used one for in excess of 8 years as a fulltimer. Get a good quality one and treat it right and they are brilliant..

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have had ours on a cassette for 10 year. 6 of which were full timing so it got used at least once a week 52 weeks of the year. It is now being used by Joan to water the garden almost every day.

It rolls up no bother if you keep it kink free and the water drains away no bother. Used ours on all sorts of pressure, still 100% watertight.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I prefer the expanding ones. It fits in a small box taking little space and no faffing with winding on a reel.
You do have to be wary not to drag it along the floor or have it driven on though as it is not very robust having only a nylon outer sheath.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes.

Don't buy one (y)

They're fine right up until you come across slightly higher than normal water pressure at which point they shred.
What is normal water pressure though ? In Devon we had 7 bar( 105psi at night ,90psi during day) & when I had a dispute with builder & had it checked by the water board he said he 'd get it checked as he would have expected it to be 9 bar :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends which type, the flat ones which are just a single bore have to be unwound fully to use them, but there are also some flat ones which consist of 3 separate pipes of a smaller bore which can be used without being unwound but the downside is that the amount of water they can allow through is limited. As for the coil ones (look like a giant green spring) they have a very small bore so not much use IMV and the 'kinky' ones (ie expanding ones) again have a very small bore although they are very amusing to watch when they first have the water turned on! :X3:

Personally I'd just stick with a standard hose pipe if you have the space, cut into 2 lengths (a long and a short bit with a joining connector piece for when you need the whole lot).

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Have had 2 flat hose cassettes in 15 years. First one developed pinhole leaks mainly due to kinks and hence causing overpressure.
Second one is fine cos I now put a short length of round hose into the van water inlet and connect the flat hose vertically, thereby avoiding any kinks.
Wouldn't be without it but draining the water out can take a couple of rewinds.....But no big problem.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We often use our flat hose on a reel when the tap is just too far away to use the expanding hose. Once you get the hang of winding them back onto the reel it's not such a difficult job and much easier with two people.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We often use our flat hose on a reel when the tap is just too far away to use the expanding hose. Once you get the hang of winding them back onto the reel it's not such a difficult job and much easier with two people.

Two people? It only takes two to put away a fire hose:doh:

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We use a flat hose on a cassette, and it is fine. Yes, you do need to unroll it completely to use it, but it rolls back onto the cassette, emptying itself as it goes, no problem. We did cut off around 8m, to use when a longer hose was not required, and that copes for about 30% of the time. Storage is easy, as they both get rolled up after use, so store away in minimum space. Only thing to watch for is hose fittings with stop valves - they don't work well when you want the water to leak out as you roll the hose up!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I absent-mindlessly connected to the tap while still on the cassette and turned it on thinking 'that'll save walking back to the tap'

Pushed the cassette side right off as it expanded sideways. :mad:

Wandering vagabond

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Derbyshire (currently)
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1987
I bought one of the kinky ones 25 meters for a tenner delivered off ebay for my boat brilliant bit of kit takes up no space ... just bought the same for the m/h cant recommend them highly enough

Rick

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Double Pain in the proverbial, if they are on a reel. The whole hose has to be off the reel to use, and then getting all the air and water out to get it to wind back on the reel.
Short lengths roll up easy and are fine for filling at aire supply points.
Cheers
Ed

Bingo.. great idea designed by someone who never used a hose before.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
It dawned on me after posting this that I don't actually carry a hose any more when we are away , unless I have my pressure washer on board, and even then its only a short jobby.I fill with water when we leave, and I don't ever remember running out , apart from last time when I forgot to prime the boiler and it paffed 70% of the tank on the floor in the docks in Dover. We don't use the onboard water for drinking at all , and the shower only gets used if there isn't one elsewhere, which isn't often.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just an observation on X hoses and similar types. I took one to the Faroes this year and while it's ok for quick jobs I found the thing was slowing down on prolonged use like car washing. I realised, I think, the reason was our cold water is gravity fed from mountain/hillside reservoirs and the lack of pumped pressure caused the thing to lose volume and start to shrink back again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back