Fixing Garage Storage Bars (1 Viewer)

petebell

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Funster No
Exp
2017 newbie
i am a total newcomer to motorhoming and need to fix some Fiamma storage bars in my garage. However, this will entail me fixing to both the floor and to the foam board walls. They need to be fixed securely so that bungee ropes or ratchet straps don't just rip them out. Don't know what the floor is made from, or how thick it is, but I am very worried about just screwing into the foam board walls.

Could anyone please give me advice on this subject? Thanks in advance.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Wall boards may not be strong enough, except that the forces will be spread along the bar and tangential to the screw (not trying to pull it back out). A 90° corner channel may be better than flat, as that may allow more substantial securing 'upwards'.
I'd go through the floor and put plate on the other side using bolts, if possible, as they won't pull through. Otherwise put marine ply below and screw into that. Don't expect the floor material to be anything of substance.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are bars available that accept tie rings anywhere along their length. At least with a bar you should be able find firm fixings somewhere along the length. There is no way of fixing directly to sandwich construction walls. Another alternative is to attach a (wood) board along the line where you intend to affix tie-down rings. The board can pick up any solid fastening points and be glued to the wall using Sikaflex.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back