Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

agumdoo

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I am hoping to pick up my new Chausson 530 in a couple of weeks. My wife wants a canopy, if I fit one myself for a fraction of the dealers quote would this cause warranty issues?
Thanks Eric

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, If you mean the wind out awning I would wait and have it fitted at one of the many shows usually for free .They are a heavy item to fit on your own and need to be properly fitted with regard to internal fittings and cabling which may be an issue.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes, fitting one yourself will affect your warranty as it means drilling holes through the walls

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Easy to fit if you have the experience, the strength of three men and can be in two places at once.
As Mike's post above, buy at a show and have fitted there.
It SHOULD only affect warranty as far as damp and stress problems at the actual fitting points.
IE: if it leaks at the bolt holes don't go running to the dealer

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I have moved the one we have on the Laika. It fits onto a rail on the roof using special brackets. Undoing the brackets and trying to move it was HEAVY work. If you decide to do it you will need some form of framework to stand on and more than one person.These Awnings are not that light. You also need to know where the fixing brackets need to be located. The walls are usually made of thin alloy, some sort of foam sandwich filling and thin plywood on the inside. The bracket positions will have been decided by the manufacturer and they will have put strengthening in the wall or on top to accommodate the brackets. If you put a bracket in the wrong place you could do considerable damage. You may also find that the Manufacturer may not be happy with a claim for a damp wall if you didn't fit it correctly.

When you go and pick it up make sure that you also pick up some serious anti theft devices if its based on a Ford Chassis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back