First timers going to Europe - confused!! (1 Viewer)

DamianandJen

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We are heading to Europe soon from the UK after spending three months in our motor home here and we have heard a lot of different information about what is/ is not needed to travel there in our UK registered home. It would be highly appreciated if some of you lovely people could help with some questions - the easy ones first:
1. We have Australian driver’s licences and International Driving Permits and I am led to believe this is all we need.
2. We need to have current insurance documentation, including breakdown insurance, and proof of ownership.
3. We need a European travel kit (for lights, triangles etc)

This is where it gets tricky for us!
4. We were told we need ‘vignettes’ (relating to emissions) to travel in certain countries e.g. we were told that as soon as we enter Belgium we need to go to a place that will give us a sticker to drive in the country, and this is also true of Germany. However we have also been told that these relate only to certain cities and not to whole countries.
5. We have also been told that before we go to Europe we will need to change our tyres to snow tyres for certain countries.

Any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated. We have been told also to avoid highway camping areas as they are a little unsafe.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

If you go near any German cities you might need a umwelt or emissions sticker, you can get these online for a few €

France also has a Critair system that you can apply for but I have never seen the need.

Not sure about Belgium but again in my travels I have never needed one.

Martin

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The rules on tyres varies country to country so worth a google, a lot of people run all year on four season tyres that have the 3PMSF three peaked mountain and snowflake symbol.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The aires on motorways are generally though to be less safe than other parking areas, but in any case these are not 'camping' places though you can park overnight though probably most on here would advise against it. The crit air type stickers are only needed in specific cities, but you may well wish to visit some. We avoid all cities like the plague.

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Can only comment on rules in France though the rest of the EU is probably similar if not the same.

Proof of ownership? Just a logbook (V5 ?) which as we all know does not prove ownership.

Emission certificates? Not to enter the country just for specific places some of the time. Check on Google

Remember also that when out and about in France you MUST carry evidence of identity and you MUST have all docs when driving, logbook, insurance, MoT cert., driving licence

If caught speeding etc by gendarme you may be taken to an ATM to pay the fine there and then.

Most French campsites are now closed until next Easter but most villages have an aire or similar just avoid motorway overnighting just in case.

If you want warm and sunny go further south than the Lot. We will leave for the Algarve in early December.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are heading to Europe soon from the UK after spending three months in our motor home here and we have heard a lot of different information about what is/ is not needed to travel there in our UK registered home. It would be highly appreciated if some of you lovely people could help with some questions - the easy ones first:
1. We have Australian driver’s licences and International Driving Permits and I am led to believe this is all we need.
2. We need to have current insurance documentation, including breakdown insurance, and proof of ownership.
3. We need a European travel kit (for lights, triangles etc)

This is where it gets tricky for us!
4. We were told we need ‘vignettes’ (relating to emissions) to travel in certain countries e.g. we were told that as soon as we enter Belgium we need to go to a place that will give us a sticker to drive in the country, and this is also true of Germany. However we have also been told that these relate only to certain cities and not to whole countries.
5. We have also been told that before we go to Europe we will need to change our tyres to snow tyres for certain countries.

Any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated. We have been told also to avoid highway camping areas as they are a little unsafe.
You only need vignettes etc for Switzerland and Austria and from memory possibly Croatia. I could be wrong about Croatia as when we headed there we didn't get beyond Italy. What you need depends also on the weight of your vehicle.

On some mountain roads you are required to carry snow chains. I've not heard about a requirement for winter tyres but Germany loves rules so they might be needed there in winter.

But my suggestion is not to worry about any of this because assuming you are starting your three months soon where is the best place to go at this time of year?

To "do" Europe you need at least a year and ideally two. :)

I suggest you forget the whole of northern Europe and head south. Scandinavia would be brilliant in summer but in November?

Here's a suggested route.

Head down through France but visiting some of the WW1 sites in France and Belgium first. Cross into Italy from Nice. Drive all the way to the toe of Italy and cross over to Sicily seeing the main sites such as Florence, Pompei etc on the way. Venice is a possible but out on a limb. Take your own lunch if you visit. :)

In Sicily go clockwise round a bit of the coast. Visit Etna if the weather is clear, visit the Greek temples, it avoids the drive to Greece. :) In Palermo the Palatine Chapel is a must. We missed it and need to return for it. :)

From Palermo get the ferry to Genoa. You could stop off at Sardinia or Corsica but I don't think you will have the time.

From Genoa drive along the Mediterranean coast into Spain.

Down the Spanish coast into southern Portugal. On the way Cordoba and Granada should be visited. For the Alhambra in Granada you need to book tickets well in advance ideally. The Mezquita in Cordoba doesn't need advance booking. You should get some sun down this far south.

Return to UK either up the west coast of France, possibly getting the ferry from Roscoff to Plymouth taking a few days to explore Brittany and the megalithic sites.

Alternatively or in addition, drive across the north coast of France and visit the D Day beaches and Commonwealth cemeteries where many of your brave countrymen gave their lives.

And you will be pushed to do all that in three months. We spent four weeks just in Sicily and it took us two weeks to get there. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Remember also that when out and about in France you MUST carry evidence of identity

Q. for Lot Lover and other European Residents.

I am reluctant to carry my passport when outside the MH, as it is easy to 'lift' from a pocket. So do the Police geneally accept a UK Photo Driving Licence as evidence of identity?

I was going to apply for a voluntary UK ID card but they stopped the scheme before I did.

Geoff

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Q. for Lot Lover and other European Residents.

I am reluctant to carry my passport when outside the MH, as it is easy to 'lift' from a pocket. So do the Police geneally accept a UK Photo Driving Licence as evidence of identity?

I was going to apply for a voluntary UK ID card but they stopped the scheme before I did.

Geoff
I carry a photocopy of my passport. This may not comply with the rules but like you I keep my passport securely locked away.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
The low emission zone is currently I believe just for Antwerp city centre and can be avoided using the rings roads and wouldn’t suggest driving into the centre of Antwerp anyway.
Antwerp ring is a nitemare at certain times of day avoid !

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
nicholsong - in my experience NO to driving licence. As a general rule photocopies need a notaire's attestation to be acceptable.

Though who knows what may be required after 31/10.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I know others have said don’t bother with the emissions stickers, but then as Australians you may well want to visit some of those cities, or come across a diversion or just take a wrong turn when looking for an out of town aire. As they cost so little it is worth obtaining them before you go if you have an address to send them to.
Germany here
France here

Its worth paying the very small charge for the weather app Ventusky. It will help you plan your journey en route for better weather and maybe help you avoid the worst winter weather if you are not geared up for it. It can get ferociously cold in parts of Europe.

I think DBK misread your trip length, I don’t think you gave it. However he has given you a good route to follow for the winter months.

Make sure you have downloaded the languages you may need in google translate. I love the camera option where it translates a notice or other text. Although we both have a smattering of French/German/Swedish/Italian we still get stuck. If you are starting from nothing then I think you will, find it invaluable.

Start a thread on here so we can follow your journey and then be in the wings for help, advice and suggestions where to head for as you go along.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
One of the best all season tyres with the three peaks and snowflake symbols are Michelin CrossClimate Commercial van tyres. Even if you don't intend driving in snow, their grip on soft wet grass and loose gravel is quite superior to CP tyres.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back