First timer needing help for Continental Trip (1 Viewer)

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
Hi All,
I've had my MH for 3 years now and last year we decided to travel through France using a mixer of recognised sites and Aires. No problem and a great experience. I recently joined ACSI, having been recommended it by a fellow traveller last year. This summer I am thinking of taking the plunge and just going through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Italy. Should I be looking to pre book sites or can you usually just turn up somewhere and get a pitch for a night or two. I should say that we are going in June and July. Any advise would be really welcomed

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I would advise you to go down through France and then cross over into Luxembourg for the cheap fuel and then on into Germany.
We took this route last year down to the Mosel but made the big mistake of coming back via Belgium and we are lucky to have any suspension left on the van as the Belgium roads are atrocious.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We travelled extensively around Germany in June a couple of years ago.
We came across full sites a couple of times, once at Koblenz on a Thursday, when it turned out to be a bank holiday weekend, and the second time on the Baltic coast on Rugen Island. However we found a friendly campsite manager at an ACSI site just outside Koblenz who let us pitch share although otherwise full, and the site on the coast allowed parking in their car park.

We did want to be near Kiel in the festival week Kiele Woche and it was necessary to prebook for that.

We were away 6 weeks and had no other problems staying on our usual mix of Stellplatz and ACSI sites.

Just go and you will always find somewhere unless a specific place on a specific day that you really want to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
IMO June shold be OK without booking, but in July
We took this route last year down to the Mosel but made the big mistake of coming back via Belgium and we are lucky to have any suspension left on the van as the Belgium roads are atrocious.
Second this. My brother in law lives in Belgium but despite this we have vowed never to go again - appalling roads!

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
We travel in Europe all the time (30wks a year) and never book and never had a problem we most probably do a a 70/30 split between stellplatz/aires and campsites finding the best time to turn about mid day

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We also travel approx 17 weeks a year armed with the ACSI and Campercontact apps. Never book as there's ususlly somewhere else you can move onto.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We travel in Europe all the time (30wks a year) and never book and never had a problem we most probably do a a 70/30 split between stellplatz/aires and campsites finding the best time to turn about mid day
The 90 days in 180 may be a problem going forward, I hope they create a better system for at least 180 days in 365 (like Canada)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back