First time buyer

Sula

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello you lovely people. Just looking for a bit of advice. Taking my first step into buying a motorhome and looking at a - wait for it - 1999 Fiat Ducato Dethleff Globetrotter low line with only 41000 miles in the clock. Service history and all paperwork apparently. Described as in great condition and drives superb with no damp or rust. The price is £8500. Sounds good although 20 years old and many many extras with it. I'm going to see it. Is there any advice you can give me about what to ask, look out for?? I'm a complete novice in this respect!!! Any help great fully received as aim nervous!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To be honest it sounds a bit cheap... If it is on fleabay it MIGHT be scam..
If you have seen it up close and it looks as described I reckon you could do a whole lot worse ! :-)

OP
OP
S

Sula

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for that Jaws. Haven't seen it yet but have spoken to the person who's selling it. He says he buys for the trade and didn't realise it was a left hand drive so has put it on eBay as well. Don't know where he bought it from but said it was in use until he did. Said the mileage can be verified by paperwork and welcomed AA/Rac inspection although they've told me they don't do them above 20 years old and this goes to the month so would have to find out the month of registration in 1999. Can view it tomorrow. This is nail biting as I've never spent this much money on any vehicle before let alone a camper which I want to meander around E

Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The mileage is most likely genuine as we bought our 1st mh, with 11, 000 miles on it and it was 9 years old, the mileage was verified by previous mot tests and service paperwork.
Use your nose and check cupboards for damp with said nose :)
Also check age of tyres to make sure they are not like 10 years old , and check for cracking of tyres.
As for mechanical, no idea apart from starting it up, see how it runs, take it for a test drive and dip the oil and check for any signs of water in said oil.

OP
OP
S

Sula

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Bart that's helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
My only words are don’t buy the first one you see. Rose tinted glasses can play havoc with the wallet.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Download Jim's Buyers Guide (in Resources). Should give you most of what you need to know. Most important is will the layout suit you?

But DON'T go into it with rose-coloured glasses - if you've got any doubts come back here first for a second (third, fourth, fifth....) opinion.

There are plenty of good used vans out there.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
It's too cheap ...I'd expect that to be 15k plus

Have you a link to the add

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Ok I've found it

The seller has zero feedback for selling only buying. I think the van is too cheap so be wary and certainly do not part with any cash before viewing it not even a deposit.

That said if it is genuine you woukd want to act fast as at this time of year if it's as good as stated it will sell quickly at that price.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Any funster live in or near Coventry and able to go and have a nosey with you?

Eggs

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Be careful, the adress on eBay is wrong, the postcode doesn't match the road name. The phone number is all over the Internet in different parts of the country, on some sites he uses the name Tom W, on others Tom L.

OP
OP
S

Sula

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ooer - sounds dodgy - you detectives you and I'd like to say thank you so much for the time you've taken and from your findings I'm going to give this a wide berth. There's some unscrupulous people out there! Yes, he said his name was Tom when I spoke to him over the phone. Thanks again, you're all so kind.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If it's genuine the seller would share the previous owners name and address so you can contact them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As well as the above I'd get the reg'n and check the MOT records for faults and total mileage plus miles travelled in past year.
I may be cynical but the reg'n isn't visible as unusually all the photos of the back end have been taken too high up :unsure:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Ooer - sounds dodgy - you detectives you and I'd like to say thank you so much for the time you've taken and from your findings I'm going to give this a wide berth. There's some unscrupulous people out there! Yes, he said his name was Tom when I spoke to him over the phone. Thanks again, you're all so kind.
Don't completely write it off yet ....how far is Coventry from you?
If it isn't far then it may be worth viewing it in person.
It would help if we could also get the registration number of the van.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
As well as the above I'd get the reg'n and check the MOT records for faults and total mileage plus miles travelled in past year.
I may be cynical but the reg'n isn't visible as unusually all the photos of the back end have been taken too high up :unsure:
A lot of folk do that these days because some bright sparks made a big thing about cloning.
Of course others do it specifically so you can't check the history etc.
But no way of telling which....I suppose you could text the number and ask for it

In fact I think I will

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Have you looked at ikonic kampers ? More money but more realistic prices. I think that’s where JJ brought his from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back