First maiden day out (1 Viewer)

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
First day we took the MH out so hubby could get used to the size etc. Went near to barnard castle. Stopped off and had a cup of tea and he made bacon and eggs and beans. Did not think that the plugs only work on hook up. Still learning. Could not get the grill to work though and not sure why. Another MH on the other side waved which I thought was really nice. Looking forward to the next one

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Dominic is that you ::bigsmile:

Glad you had your first day out. I think lots of us have fallen for the no leccy when not hooked up trick when newbies.
Grill? was you getting gas, did ignition work, 12v needs to be switched on your control panel for the ignition to work.

MH ers waved on the other side....be careful if they start to flash headlights šŸ• :)

Seriously though good luck, youll pick all the tricks up as you go, and everyone is here to help.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Sounds like a lovely start for you, better than landing in France with no water and the water being turned off on aires and the shops shut.šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
He did make the bacon and eggs. I am a dreadful cook lol
There's an art to getting the gas grill to work. I have a 50% success rate. The flame sensor might need a clean.
He will have a go at that in the morning. It was igniting. I donā€™t think it has been used for ages. Thanks for the tip though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Another great tip. We are going to try on the morning. Thank you all again. It is much appreciated as a newbie

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
That sounds better than our first meal in the motorhome. We were parked on the drive against the hedge. This not being our first van we should have known better.
No matter what I tried nothing would light. After several attempts I realised the gas was turned off at the bottles. I had to move the van off the drive to turn the gas on.
As others have said grills can be a bit iffy to light. Ours struggles after I have cleaned the hob. I use a gas lighter thing first. Once itā€™s been lit theres no problem lighting it.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
By the way. I see you have a Hymer. If it's fitted with a Tech Tower grill one thing you must be made aware of (in advance if possible) is that they are one of the most useless things on the planet. A slightly more successful way to make toast is to suck polo mints and blow your hot breath over the bread. It's certainly quicker than a Tech Tower grill. :LOL: ;);)

Good luck.(y)

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Same issue with our grill, turn gas on, press ignition......loads of sparks but no whump. Solution? Lean down and blow a lung full of air into the grill, result instant ignition. It has been suggested by Mrs Dram that this may be due to me injecting a cloud of alcohol fumes in the direction of the sparker. An allegation I categorically deny.......well mostly.šŸ˜®šŸ˜†

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
By the way. I see you have a Hymer. If it's fitted with a Tech Tower grill one thing you must be made aware of (in advance if possible) is that they are one of the most useless things on the planet. A slightly more successful way to make toast is to suck polo mints and blow your hot breath over the bread. It's certainly quicker than a Tech Tower grill. :LOL: ;);)

Good luck.(y)
Love it

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp

Good luck.(y)
Not sure what grill it is as I canā€™t find the make but here is a picture with fridge underneath

Attachments

• CCAFA3CE-9552-4753-B955-B66B7B2946FB.jpeg
    CCAFA3CE-9552-4753-B955-B66B7B2946FB.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 25

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our gas grill is fairly useless. I bought a Ridge Monkey-bacon is a treat in it!
Do not shut the oven door when grill is alight-it goes out!
Oven door must be fully open before the ignition will work on grill or oven burners and hold button in for quite a while after theyā€™re lit!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not sure what grill it is as I canā€™t find the make but here is a picture with fridge underneath
Itā€™s a Smev Fo311 gt. Have got the gas turned on at the manifold

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Yep the gas was turned on. After we have been to see his mum in Newcastle when we get home we will have a go again. Thank you again everyone

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Those grills you need to hold in the dials for a while and there should be a metal plate at the top of the oven you pull out when grilling. Took years to find it in ours and stops the ceiling getting warm.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Sorry call me thick not sure what you mean or are you taking the mickey lol
It's a reference to a certain Tory advisor who took a trip there whilst we were all supposed to be locked down, his excuse was he was testing his eyes.

With regard to the grill, the door has to be fully open, there is a pull out metal shield which should be extended when you use the grill to prevent heat damage to the area above, it can be quite sticky, you will need to hold the button in for a while until the flame failure device heats up, if it won't stay alight then it is likely that the flame failure device has failed and may need replacing, whilst I found the oven on mine to be good the grill isn't so good and as my oven is mounted low down and I have to sit on the floor to keep an eye on the toast I've given up on it as a device for making toast and only have toast on hook up using a low wattage electric toaster :giggle:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back