Firestick (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I use a car 12v USB socket adapter to power mine. It needs to be the 2.1amp version as the 1.0amp ones struggled with the power of the Firestick

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
We power ours from the usb on the TV, But when setting up the remote to control the TV you need to use different power supply

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
as above usb off the back of the tv. Thought the handheld gismo was a battery but cannot remember.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
ShiftZZ, as advised above Dave, but I find with the 12v TV in the MH, the Firestick 4K operates better from a stand alone USB supply of around 2.1 - 2.4 amps. I don't think the twin USB sockets on the TV are powerful enough.

On the home TV, we power it off the built in USB sockets.

You will need a good WiFi connection, which in the MH, you may struggle with in remote locations.

Good luck with it Dave. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ShiftZZ, as advised above Dave, but I find with the 12v TV in the MH, the Firestick 4K operates better from a stand alone USB supply of around 2.1 - 2.4 amps. I don't think the twin USB sockets on the TV are powerful enough.

You will need a good WiFi connection, which in the MH, you may struggle with in remote locations.

Cheers,

When you say your Firestick struggles on tv usb, how does this show up.
Cheers

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
When you say your Firestick struggles on tv usb, how does this show up.
Cheers
It is slow to load up, and respond to signals from the remote, eg, all four iPlayers just kept stopping/starting/freezing, and screen going blank, but as soon as I reverted back to my stand alone USB supply, they all responded instantly with no interruptions, and with the same WiFi signal as before.

HTH,

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
The fire stick needs a good 1amp 5v supply some TVs usb can’t supply that all the time.
Your better off using 12v adapter that is capable of supplying more amps or you may find it won’t boot up.
Another thing you should do is force stop all the apps you use on it as they don’t shut down when you power the stick down.
The processor is then running everything and using more power so slowing it down.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Another thing you should do is force stop all the apps you use on it as they don’t shut down when you power the stick down.
The processor is then running everything and using more power so slowing it down.
I didn't know that Off da Grid, but yes, it makes sense so I'll give that a go thanks. (y)
That's probably why my1st generation Firestick slowed right down, and became a pain to use. :(

Cheers,

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I didn't know that Off da Grid, but yes, it makes sense so I'll give that a go thanks. (y)
That's probably why my1st generation Firestick slowed right down, and became a pain to use. :(

Cheers,

How many different apps are you using?
Surely Amazon haven’t got a product that keeps starting repeat copies of an app.
It’s also unusual for programs to run on after being power cycled but it’s easy for users to just have a Firestick hibernate rather than fully restart.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We recently replaced our Avtex TV/DVD satellite combo for a very light LG TV which is powered by a 19volt transformer, I'd rather have had a 12v TV but I already carried a 12v to 19v transformer for my laptop & this powers the new TV perfectly.
This allows me to use the USB port on the TV to watch movies using my 2TB external hard drive, the drive is bus powered, so no extra cables & an awful lot less clutter.

I've also installed a USB power charging point which is powered by the moho battery, this has got rid of a shed load of weight & I'm very happy with it, so to power a firestick would be easy.
The USB charging point is flush mounted & the only thing at the back of it are the two power wires.

These charging points are really cheap on fleabay 12V 3.1A Dual USB Car Charger 2 Port Adapter Power Socket Charging Panel Mount~
eBay item number:
Below is the fitted item at the top lit up in red.
1619816776019.png

Got one on the dash too, they've been perfectly reliable.
1619817078899.png

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Cheers,

Is it worth paying the extra for the 4K if you re using a non 4K TV?

Jon

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie

Jon
Operationally, in the old Firestick range, the none-4K Firesticks were slower to navigate in menus.
If you buy from the new Firestick range they’re not going to seem different.

How likely are you to need or want small 4K screens in the Motorhome?
Or a 4K screen at home?
I don’t think small 4K screens are necessary. But if you’d get a >40” 4K tv for home on the horizon, a 4K stick is useful.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

Jon
I can't remember where I got the answer from Jon when I asked the same, but basically it was a yes, as it the 4K model is faster, which is definitely my finding. Amazon do them on offer every now and then. (y)

Ours comes in handy in the MH where conditions for the satellite dish are unsuitable, ie, weather or trees, etc. The PUCK 2 antenna also makes a difference to the incoming Vodafone signal, via the MiFi.................................however, I've not been in a remote enough area yet, to try it out to it's fullest.

Cheers,

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have powered ours off a usb powerpack the ones you can use to charge your phone

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I can't remember where I got the answer from Jon when I asked the same, but basically it was a yes, as it the 4K model is faster, which is definitely my finding. Amazon do them on offer every now and then. (y)

Ours comes in handy in the MH where conditions for the satellite dish are unsuitable, ie, weather or trees, etc. The PUCK 2 antenna also makes a difference to the incoming Vodafone signal, via the MiFi.................................however, I've not been in a remote enough area yet, to try it out to it's fullest.

Cheers,

If you asked on the forum before Autumn 2020 it could’ve been me or several others saying that.
But times change and Amazon have refreshed the Firestick range. As mentioned in the post above :rofl:

edit: clarity

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
If you asked on the forum before Autumn 2020 it could’ve been me or several others.
But Amazon have refreshed the Firestick range. As mentioned in the post above :rofl:
It may well have been yourself Kev. :)

Your post above mine wasn't visible to me, when I posted in reply to Jon.

Operationally, in the old Firestick range, the none-4K Firesticks were slower to navigate in menus.
If you buy from the new Firestick range they’re not going to seem different.
Have I got this right Kev, ie, are you saying that the latest 4K Firesticks, aren't as fast as the models previously available? Why would Amazon authorise that downgrade? Genuine question BTW. :)

Cheers,

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It may well have been yourself Kev. :)

Your post above mine wasn't visible to me, when I posted in reply to Jon.

Have I got this right Kev, ie, are you saying that the latest 4K Firesticks, aren't as fast as the models previously available? Why would Amazon authorise that downgrade? Genuine question BTW. :)

Cheers,

:doh: understood. I should’ve looked at posting times.

And you were right, in a sale, even in the newer Firestick range, maybe the 4K version is the goto type.
At list prices, I’d buy what matched needs. Not sure my needs would ever justify getting the cheapest Lite version though. 🤔 maybe as a second screen option…

edit: oops. Missed the new question, No, in the new range it’s the HD models that are refreshed and brought up to the 4K version’s menu performance.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between a smart TV and a firestick, just asking for a friend who is thinking of getting a FS to get a better signal than his smart TV, I say it will be the same but he disagrees.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between a smart TV and a firestick, just asking for a friend who is thinking of getting a FS to get a better signal than his smart TV, I say it will be the same but he disagrees.
I don’t have a SMART TV so don’t know what if anything they get over the aerial source but for streaming on home internet they’d get exactly the same signal as the Firesticks and Google stick thing, etc.

A Firestick (& similar) makes a none SMART TV “clever” and older SMART TV better.
But only app choices could separate abilities of the two options, IMO.

edit: implied by the “older SMART TV” comment is their obsolescence- as described by cmcardle75 below (y)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

They do the same thing. As to which will have better signal, that could be pretty random.

However, I'd go with the Firestick, as that will be constantly updated and easily and cheaply replaced once a new shiny version comes out. A smart TV will be sold for six months. The TV manufacturer will then lose all interest in your model, stop updating the smart component and all the content providers will stop working after about 18 months as they haven't done the updates.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
edit: oops. Missed the new question, No, in the new range it’s the HD models that are refreshed and brought up to the 4K version’s menu performance.
Thanks for that Kev. (y) If the refreshed HD version had been available at the time, that's what I would probably have gone for, with us not having a 4K TV at all.

Cheers,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don’t have a SMART TV so don’t know what if anything they get over the aerial source but for streaming on home internet they’d get exactly the same signal as the Firesticks and Google stick thing, etc.

A Firestick (& similar) makes a none SMART TV “clever” and older SMART TV better.
But only app choices could separate abilities of the two options, IMO.

edit: implied by the “older SMART TV” comment is their obsolescence- as described by cmcardle75 below (y)
They do the same thing. As to which will have better signal, that could be pretty random.

However, I'd go with the Firestick, as that will be constantly updated and easily and cheaply replaced once a new shiny version comes out. A smart TV will be sold for six months. The TV manufacturer will then lose all interest in your model, stop updating the smart component and all the content providers will stop working after about 18 months as they haven't done the updates.
Thanks both, he has two smart TVs in different rooms , one gets a good signal but the other in another room doesn't, he reckons a FS will make the poor one work better, so on the whole you agree with him.
Is that right?
Cheers.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thanks both, he has two smart TVs in different rooms , one gets a good signal but the other in another room doesn't, he reckons a FS will make the poor one work better, so on the whole you agree with him.
Is that right?
Cheers.
It's not based on a factual condition. There's a chunk of optimism in your friends aims there.

Possibly, the SMART TV with poor wifi reception has older wifi hardware that could be improved by using an FS.
Or when fitted, the FS would be nearer the wifi signal & do better.

Your friend could try moving the TV, or swapping TV's, or borrow a firestick to eliminate some of the scenarios.
If they're gamblers, I'd say there is a fair chance the Firestick would help. But it is a gamble, imo

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's not based on a factual condition. There's a chunk of optimism in your friends aims there.

Possibly, the SMART TV with poor wifi reception has older wifi hardware that could be improved by using an FS.
Or when fitted, the FS would be nearer the wifi signal & do better.

Your friend could try moving the TV, or swapping TV's, or borrow a firestick to eliminate some of the scenarios.
If they're gamblers, I'd say there is a fair chance the Firestick would help. But it is a gamble, imo
You can, of course, put the Firestick on a long HDMI cable, so you can position its aerial for best effect. Alternatively, fix the WiFi. I guess poor WiFI round the house is just generally annoying, not just for the TV.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
The fire stick needs a good 1amp 5v supply some TVs usb can’t supply that all the time.
Your better off using 12v adapter that is capable of supplying more amps or you may find it won’t boot up.
How do you force stop the apps, please?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
How do you force stop the apps, please?
I haven't needed to stop apps in several years of use of Amazon Firesticks, but my usage is simple with just store apps or default apps.
YMMV

In this article, about removing unnecessary apps the location of Force Stop is shown.
Maybe knowing about both options helps.
In "Uninstall Unnecessary Apps" section, "Force Stop" is in Step 5's menu
1620726678492.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back