Fire extinguisher (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I want to put a water mist fire extinguisher in my van, I have choice of 1 litre or 2 litre (3litre too big), whats recommended ? my vans a Hymer B544 6.6m, twin berth.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I want to put a water mist fire extinguisher in my van, I have choice of 1 litre or 2 litre (3litre too big), whats recommended ? my vans a Hymer B544 6.6m, twin berth.
The large 9 litre ones last around 45 seconds and have a max throw of around 4 metres. I personally wouldn’t try to put anything bigger than a kitchen bin sized fire out with one. If you’ve room go for the 2 litre one. They are really only to help you escape. Which is why they should be situated on your escape route.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have a couple of FireTool JE 50 fire extinguisher in our van, one in the kitchen area and one in my door pocket, plus we have a fire blanket to hand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
If you have to use anything more than a wet towel it's too late. Many years ago I was a volunteer fireman, burning vehicles are more dangerous than most other fires and should only be tackled by professionals

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I vividly remember the calor depot in Poole going up in flames. Exploding cylinders launched as fireballs into the air and landing on the road and properties all round. The fire service fought the flames from a distance and evacuated the area for 48 hours. Every motorhome and caravan has at least one potential propane bomb and usually more. If your van is on fire, your only choice is to evacuate and call the professionals. It is insured and replaceable, your life isn't

The main reasons that gas leaks and electrical faults should be fixed to a professional standard is that they are the main risks of fire in leisure vehicles. Once alight, it only takes a couple of minutes to be fully engulfed.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Wouldn't you want a powder over water extinguisher? I imagine most fires are engine/electrical/cooking related where a water one wouldn't necessarily be suitable?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Any fire in a motor vehicle.. results in only one action.... get out and run away AND stay run away until professional help gets there. They will douse the remains of your vehicle to make it safe because it wont be fit for anything exept the scrappies.
Keep yourself safe and let your insurance sort it out..... your life far to valuable to pussie foot around with a fire extinguisher.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Excellent footage just goes to show how ineffective a hose pipe is ( there is a fire extinguisher on the floor I assume that had already been used)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Any fire in a motor vehicle.. results in only one action.... get out and run away AND stay run away until professional help gets there. They will douse the remains of your vehicle to make it safe because it wont be fit for anything exept the scrappies.
Keep yourself safe and let your insurance sort it out..... your life far to valuable to pussie foot around with a fire extinguisher.
What he said.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you have to use anything more than a wet towel it's too late. Many years ago I was a volunteer fireman, burning vehicles are more dangerous than most other fires and should only be tackled by professionals
Just how many owners would run away and wait for the professionals to arrive, which in remote areas could be a very long time, most fires start small and grow out of control, during the time of initial ignition a handy extinguisher can do the job and prevent spread...thats why everyone should have, and know how to use their extinguisher.
My advice to the OP is buy two smaller entinguishers and place them apart, therefore you can grab the nearest one and use the second as a backup and complete the attack......if all fails get out wait for the professionals....if you cannot control the fire the time lapse waiting for the Fire Service could be a total loss...where I served we could be in attendance to most incidents in 3 minutes, where we live now the attendance time would be 25 minutes minimum

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Just how many owners would run away and wait for the professionals to arrive, which in remote areas could be a very long time, most fires start small and grow out of control, during the time of initial ignition a handy extinguisher can do the job and prevent spread...thats why everyone should have, and know how to use their extinguisher.
My advice to the OP is buy two smaller entinguishers and place them apart, therefore you can grab the nearest one and use the second as a backup and complete the attack......if all fails get out wait for the professionals....if you cannot control the fire the time lapse waiting for the Fire Service could be a total loss...where I served we could be in attendance to most incidents in 3 minutes, where we live now the attendance time would be 25 minutes minimum
Sensible ones!!!!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Wouldn't you want a powder over water extinguisher? I imagine most fires are engine/electrical/cooking related where a water one wouldn't necessarily be suitable?
Water mist extinguishers are not the same as water extinguishers and can be used on:
  • Class A is for trash, wood, and paper.
  • Class B is for liquids and gases.
  • Class C is for energized electrical sources.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I only had room for a 1 litre one at the sleeping end of our motorhome, which I hope would be enough to clear an escape route or put out a small fire. I don’t intend to be hanging around trying to fight anything serious.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not sure if it's just my insurer, but my moho must be equipped with a fire extinguisher according the policy

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Sensible ones!!!!
Not in my experience, most folk have a go first...not putting themselves at risk I must add... after all why carry a fire extinguisher or fire blanket they both need human application. The alarming footage showing gas cylinders exploding do not happen within the first stage of vehicle fires...they need a fair amount of heating to reach this point which wouldn't be at a time Joe Public was anywhere near...
In a similar situation would we wait the arrival of a Paramedic to attend a person suffering a heart attack or arterial bleeding or would we do the best we can firstly...human nature thrusts us to take steps to help, the big difference between professionals and Joe public taking action comes down to Training, Experience and Risk assessment...

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I've been through a few firemans courses, so have an idea what to do. Everyone seems to think we are dealing with out of control fires, but if the frying pan catches a fire blanket is the way to go, or the toast catches fire under the grill then a small fire extinguisher is the answer but lets assume its a small fire, say bbq catches fire, then a small extinguisher would be handy. If we are talking fire like cooker on fire, then we all get out and if possible shut all doors and windows, turn off the gas supply.
As far as fire brigade response time, try wild camp on west coast, the van will be a smoking pile before they arrive.

Another thing, if the vans on fire, as long as everyone is safe, I'd rather it reduced to ashes than fire damaged, as repairs would be very time consuming, I'd rather write it off and buy another.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
The normal cheap 600g extinguishers are good for one thing.........smashing a window open
The modern firepal, coldfire, etc are decent enough to tackle a tea towel falling on the hob
The old powder ones would leave the interior a toxic mess
A fire blanket is always a good idea
As has been said you need to know how to use it not how to read the instructions on the side 👍 even if it means wasting one in your garden so you know what happens when you pull the trigger, sounds easy but the amount of people I have seen aiming at themselves 🤷‍♂️
Got one by the bed headboard, one by drivers seat, one by entrance door, spare one in garage that goes in awning and blanket above cooker
OTT maybe but I have been in a few race car fires and been on the outside of them also, £200 on fire suppressors is money well spent IMHO

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The normal cheap 600g extinguishers are good for one thing.........smashing a window open
The modern firepal, coldfire, etc are decent enough to tackle a tea towel falling on the hob
The old powder ones would leave the interior a toxic mess
A fire blanket is always a good idea
As has been said you need to know how to use it not how to read the instructions on the side 👍 even if it means wasting one in your garden so you know what happens when you pull the trigger, sounds easy but the amount of people I have seen aiming at themselves 🤷‍♂️
Got one by the bed headboard, one by drivers seat, one by entrance door, spare one in garage that goes in awning and blanket above cooker
OTT maybe but I have been in a few race car fires and been on the outside of them also, £200 on fire suppressors is money well spent IMHO
Well worded sound advice, OTT....not at all...if you see what's in my MH garage....
Totally agree with being aware of how what you are carrying works....
I can remember instructing office staff at a large complex how to use Co2 extinguishers..one Lass...selected by myself because she was not paying attention and also the prettiest of the bunch was given the opportunity to try her hand...( No pun intended) she stepped forward giggling and looking over her shoulder at her workwates...with extinguisher in hand she was instructed to pull the trigger by myself...
It went with a whooosh...she screamed dropped it an went hysterical...so did the rest of us.....

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I only did 32 years in the Fire Service, so might not be the best person to offer advice, but i would suggest that you should have a fire plan (not just a fire escape plan), some people would be fairly competent in dealing with a small fire, whereas others would not be able to deal with it. Know your limitations BUT knowing and understanding them long before you might need to deal with such a situation is the real key, at that point you can decide if a fire did break out, what you will do, not what you think you might do, you need to decide what you WILL do. if that involves trying to extinguish a fire then you can select the right fire fighting medium - you would be surprised what you can use to put out fires, but if you think carefully, you will realise its all down to common sense and knowing what you would do long before it ever happens.

the most common cause of fire is ......

PEOPLE

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I only did 32 years in the Fire Service, so might not be the best person to offer advice, but i would suggest that you should have a fire plan (not just a fire escape plan), some people would be fairly competent in dealing with a small fire, whereas others would not be able to deal with it. Know your limitations BUT knowing and understanding them long before you might need to deal with such a situation is the real key, at that point you can decide if a fire did break out, what you will do, not what you think you might do, you need to decide what you WILL do. if that involves trying to extinguish a fire then you can select the right fire fighting medium - you would be surprised what you can use to put out fires, but if you think carefully, you will realise its all down to common sense and knowing what you would do long before it ever happens.

PEOPLE
Well written Brother.....

PEOPLE
Well written Brother..our major Fire Station here in Spain can make it here in 25 minutes..a crew of 3 max is all they offer...try not to have a motorhome incident here...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back