Fine Art photographers (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
There are a number of ‘Fine Art’ photographers who vlog on utube, Thomas heaton , Nigel Danson, Gary Hough etc, who make big on doing ‘Fine Art’ but my question is, has anyone bought a Fine Art print from a photographer ? Whether online or personally at a sale or exhibition.

I am interested to know if there actually a market for their photography production or is the Fine Art photography just the subject matter for the vlogs to monetise. What do you think?

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
There are a number of ‘Fine Art’ photographers who vlog on utube, Thomas heaton , Nigel Danson, Gary Hough etc, who make big on doing ‘Fine Art’ but my question is, has anyone bought a Fine Art print from a photographer ? Whether online or personally at a sale or exhibition.

I am interested to know if there actually a market for their photography production or is the Fine Art photography just the subject matter for the vlogs to monetise. What do you think?
Yes I have several Thomas Heatons images.

Could you make a living from selling prints, probably not (unless you are called Peter Lik 😁). Most of those you mention make their main income from training and teaching courses, additionally a calendar each year. Personally all of my photographic income (one string on my bow) is from commission for clients (tourist boards mainly) and company shoots etc. I create images I then print for my own homes here in UK and in Spain, in several instances visitors have bought prints based on those they see there!

Fine art is a very subjective topic. Just enjoy your photography and any sales are a bonus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Personally I would never buy a photograph*, fine art or otherwise.
For me, it's not what photography is about... it is about capturing an image of what you've seen or where you've been

*wedding photos might be the only exception
No reason why one couldn’t appreciate other photographers work other than your own, ditto any art forms. Occasionally you can also find yourself taking a ‘money shot’ almost by chance that could be sold.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've never seen photography as an art form... especially the pretentious black and white stuff.

If you have the equipment and time/inclination to spend all day taking pictures eventually you'll end up with some nice images.

Unlike painting, sculpturing etc were there is real talent.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am sure people do make money out of it but the ones I have heard of supplement their income with other work. I suspect the income from prints is fairly small unless they are someone very famous.

Take a look at the work of this photographer who has some stunning images in the Potfolio section of the website - but they are only £15 a time and I wonder how many are sold?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I am no photographer more a fuji finepix or phone user,but I greatly admire other peoples work preference to the capture the moment shots that are not staged.
Some great ones on the forum over time .

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I've never seen photography as an art form... especially the pretentious black and white stuff.

If you have the equipment and time/inclination to spend all day taking pictures eventually you'll end up with some nice images.

Unlike painting, sculpturing etc were there is real talent.
Are you saying it’s a bit like sitting a chimpanzee at a keyboard and eventually they will write a novel! Don’t think so.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have only ever seen one black and white framed photograph that really reached out to me.... I would have bought it had it been for sale.. I thought it was. One day I will tell you the story behind it.. the most amazing experience ever... AND I AM NOT LOOPY... but I sure as heck KNEW that ghosts exist afterwards.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
A photograph can stop you in your tracks, just like a picture that is painted. But one that will do it for you might not do it for someone else. I can appreciate why someone would want to spend money on a photograph, at one exhibition I attended by a famous photographer some of his limited edition wildlife photographs were selling for £50k+, and they were selling like hotcakes. Whilst I considered one at £5k that really took my breath away it was sold. It is now worth £15k. I regret not buying it, even for all that money, because for me it was astonishing and it moved me. Each to their own.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I'm a bit late to this party, but I have bought photographs. A large pano of Cairngorms, Pale Blue Dot, Earth from the Moon and a lovely sandy beach with a gentle wave breaking. Some people go to extraordinary lengths to capture an image. If you think they are lucky, then they have done their job well.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I sent 10 years working as a photographer, most of the stuff was run of the mill, and whilst I agree photography is mainly a skill there is more to it than that, as a professional photographer the art is producing a photograph someone wants to buy. The same can be said about a painting or sculpture, these are mainly skill based and the art is in the concept

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not sure For me no I do follow Thomas Heaton Gary Hough I may get a Thomas Heaton calendar one day however most of the pictures on the walls in my house now are ones I took and when I look at them I can say I took that. I use Pics2Posters to do all my prints.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Not sure For me no I do follow Thomas Heaton Gary Hough I may get a Thomas Heaton calendar one day however most of the pictures on the walls in my house now are ones I took and when I look at them I can say I took that. I use Pics2Posters to do all my prints.
Didn’t know pic2pictures good they use Canon Inks, I will have to try them, are you happy with their results?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back