Finally the trailer planets have aligned! (1 Viewer)

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
IMG-20191129-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20191129-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20191129-WA0004.jpg

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Its a 3lt auto, I took it out for a wee spin with the bikes on the trailer and it barely batted an eye; its an absolute horse of an engine and I get about 25 mpg, can't say fairer than that. The only thing that I noticed is that I wll have to adjust my braking and approach speeds as you can feel the extra mass behind you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Its a 3lt auto, I took it out for a wee spin with the bikes on the trailer and it barely batted an eye; its an absolute horse of an engine and I get about 25 mpg, can't say fairer than that. The only thing that I noticed is that I wll have to adjust my braking and approach speeds as you can feel the extra mass behind you.
Right , ours is a 2.8JTD , and yes you do notice, mine is an unbraked trailer and with 3 bikes in, you can proper feel it, especially with the back full too. Mine is on its arse up the hills as well, but we only use the trailer for local stuff, if we have to go th europe it all goes in the back.

Even though it will get a clip on , i dont do more than 60 with it on becasue she aint stopping in a hurry .

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
I normally cruise along at about 55/60 anyway, I'm ain't in no hurry Man! Anyway, you've got to take time to see the world go by. I dont' have braking anxiety, 6 large power assisted disc brakes get her to stop on a dime. Came as a bit of a surprise the first time I tested a "crash stop", I almost headbutted the wheel.

I find that at about 60 +/- she sits happily in the sweet zone at 2000 RPMs. The road noise is minimal as is the engine and we can all sit there all day happy as Larry, or till the Weans hit the two hour wall and start to squabble!

It also helps with the fuel economy. Iv'e found that above 65 she develops a raging thirst, a bit like the wife on a hot day, both can be expensive!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We are rarely not in a hurry, so on the odd occasion that i take my time, its surprising to see the difference in fuel.

I need to spend some time on my trailer, sort the brakes properly, and get some lights in it . I used to have one that was properly kitted, which was nice, but now i need something less single purpose, I can get 3 bikes in with 4 straps,and its got under 350kg load. It doesnt look great but that makes it less appeal to our romany freinds.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
3 bikes!? I'm guessing some dirt bikes as light as a butterfly's fart? I put two in mine, combined weight about 500kg, give or take, depending on fuel load, and there is no more room for anything. The handlebars overlap, luckily hers is low and mine is high, I can't squeeze between them and I' svelte and athletic!

Yes, hear you on the single purpose thing. It was one of the influencing factors on my purchase of the current trailer. I had bee looking at a twin Motolug, nice rig, good quality, excellent rep. However, to coin a phrase, "what is it good for?" Absolutely nothing except hauling bikes...

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Keep your eye on glow plugs and change gearbox miles at 50,000 mile intervals

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
3 bikes!? I'm guessing some dirt bikes as light as a butterfly's fart? I put two in mine, combined weight about 500kg, give or take, depending on fuel load, and there is no more room for anything. The handlebars overlap, luckily hers is low and mine is high, I can't squeeze between them and I' svelte and athletic!

Yes, hear you on the single purpose thing. It was one of the influencing factors on my purchase of the current trailer. I had bee looking at a twin Motolug, nice rig, good quality, excellent rep. However, to coin a phrase, "what is it good for?" Absolutely nothing except hauling bikes...
Yes. The reason you have no room is that , like everyone else , you put bikes on forwards , and with bars straight, you cant take up any more room if you tried. People fill a garage in a MH with a scooter,and a permanent rack , and 4 straps and I can get 2 bikes and all the gear in with 2 straps . Its not hard , you just have to think about it differently. And of course weight of the bike can be an issue, but I have had a 690SMC in my garage , backwards with no problem .

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
And that's exactly what I'm struggling with at the moment, how to size - and find - a single axle trailer that can take two bikes. Not the motolug style, a box style.

The spatial advantages of having one bike facing forwards and one bike facing backwards are not lost on me, but how to load the rearward facing bike in that event is........... Bonkers, that's a lovely outfit you have there. What size is the trailer?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
And that's exactly what I'm struggling with at the moment, how to size - and find - a single axle trailer that can take two bikes. Not the motolug style, a box style.

The spatial advantages of having one bike facing forwards and one bike facing backwards are not lost on me, but how to load the rearward facing bike in that event is........... Bonkers, that's a lovely outfit you have there. What size is the trailer?
You stand in front of it and push it in backwards . For me its easier to load backwards and unload forwards than the other way round. The type of bike that is too heavy to do this with it too heavy to go in a garage. with a trailer its all about having a long enough loading ramp to ease the load.

What bikes are you loading?

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007

We load two Harleys on our's , forwards under power, 280kg each and there's no way I could put them on backwards! :giggle:

Mick

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We load two Harleys on our's , forwards under power, 280kg each and there's no way I could put them on backwards! :giggle:

Mick
Dont they have reverse LOL. you can put them in forwards , but on full lock , and offset them 6 inches.

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
You stand in front of it and push it in backwards . For me its easier to load backwards and unload forwards than the other way round. The type of bike that is too heavy to do this with it too heavy to go in a garage. with a trailer its all about having a long enough loading ramp to ease the load.

1200GS ;) Well, one of them anyway.
But it's good point you make about the length of the loading ramp. And also what you say about parking them on full lock. I'd just always thought of the front wheel slotting into a paddock stand of some sort.

As my wife still has to make up her mind about what bike she wants I think I might buy a single bike motolug for the time being and sell it when time comes to sort two bikes out. Like you guys I too like the idea of being able to use the trailer to carry more than just the bikes.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
1200GS ;) Well, one of them anyway.
But it's good point you make about the length of the loading ramp. And also what you say about parking them on full lock. I'd just always thought of the front wheel slotting into a paddock stand of some sort.

As my wife still has to make up her mind about what bike she wants I think I might buy a single bike motolug for the time being and sell it when time comes to sort two bikes out. Like you guys I too like the idea of being able to use the trailer to carry more than just the bikes.
Think outside the box, the GS is a big bike but loads of places to lash to, a lot depends on the strength of the trailer. Turning the front wheel into the corner , assuming it is strong enough, gets the bars out of the way. Whatever you do , 2 straps is enough. if it isnt , think again. Add more for peace of mind, but 2 should stop it moving , if it doesnt they arent in the right place.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I always have built in redundancy with straps. I have had good quality straps let go and I have others have the hook jump out on very rough roads. I now only use straps with a clip on the hook.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I always have built in redundancy with straps. I have had good quality straps let go and I have others have the hook jump out on very rough roads. I

We do the same having learnt that hooks jump out on bumpy roads! Use climbing shackles now and multiple straps. Bikes go into hoops at the front of the trailer, jackets hang inbetween, sun loungers strapped behind and push bikes are alongside so can't afford any movement. All well practised over many years. :giggle:

Snug:xgrin:
Trailer Open 2.jpg

Mick

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I use ratchet straps with built-in clips (a bit like safety pins) on my Tony Cooper bike trailer to prevent them from jumping off over bumps when the bike's suspension compresses.
I also strap the bike down hard onto a wooden block placed under the 'sump' so that the suspension isn't able to operate.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Mmmm….We are getting technical now! I was always of the understanding that when tying down a bike, or any m/v, it was best to secure the bike by points that would normally be referred to as unsprung mass and let the dampers do the job that they would do normally, ie damp out any serious movement in the sprung mass.

Spriddler - Don't you find that if you put a wooded block under the sump then the sump bashes the block? Do you lift the wheels clear?

Having watched many professional recovery crews secure various vehicles on trailers, (more than is technically healthy) it seems the way to go. There are even what I would call "wheel bras" designed for that purpose, you can get them on fleabay. If you watch them at it then all they secure is the wheels, especially on cars, the rest is left well alone.

My straps go through the top yoke, rear swing arm, foot-pegs, two or three ratchet straps either side. However, having read the above I will be considering some carabineers. I leave the bike in gear and activate the front brake.

The different approaches are interesting. What is the ideal? Is there an optimum? Will my babies be safe?!

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
There are even what I would call "wheel bras" designed for that purpose

I looked at these as they seemed a good solution, however I'd need to take both panniers off both bikes to fit them and then find somewhere to put the panniers in our PVC. So that's not going to happen! :xgrin:

Mick

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Spriddler - Don't you find that if you put a wooded block under the sump then the sump bashes the block? Do you lift the wheels clear?
I pull it down firmly onto the block so that the front forks compress about 3 of inches with the wheels still in the trailer gutter. It's as firm as a rock and I've trailered my bikes very many thousands of miles to events all over the U.K. and France and as far afield as Italy, Portugal and Poland.
CIMG0005.JPG

I also use the top yoke

CIMG0012.JPG

The hook on the black strap below has the safety clip. On the straps which don't have the safety clip on the hook I use carabineers although on the (blue) one shown below I haven't bothered to remove the original hooks.

2019-12-09 Trailer straps 002.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I used to load my bike in the van 20 times a year. Went up the ramp under power. Onto sidestand. Then just ratchet straps from the swinging arm. Never moved a mm.

Could load it in 2 minutes.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don't understand what these safety clips do / how they work. Can you explain, please?
The idea is if the load moves the hooks can’t come unhooked.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
As Manic said.
You can't remove the hook from its anchor point without squeezing inward the sprung wire safety clip. A bit like a safety pin.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I used to replace the tie down strap S hooks with this type fixing.
0EF3CD51-B266-4158-B2E8-F76810EEC4E4.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back