Finally gave in and have uprated the Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
When we got the Motorhome, first thing I did was weigh it. It’s a Hymer Exsis I 678 and had a huge payload relatively.

When we got it 4 years ago, the kids were small and we used campsites as we had moved from caravanning.

Fast forward a few years to now.

We know we like moving around and don’t use campsites. We therefore usually travel with full water. The kids are now as big as we are and we have another 30KG dog.

I weighed it again last year, it was full to the brim of everything except shopping, Lucy and the kids. It was 3460KG. This meant travelling with no water or dumping some kit. Out came the paddle boards and climbing gear. I considered dumping Lucy and the kids but apparently that wasn’t an option. :)

I would always stress when shopping about how much we were buying and staying off grid was impossible unless we travelled over weight. We also couldn’t take the paddle boards or climbing gear, or even chairs.

I had contemplated taking the awning off, but we do use it occasionally and it wouldn’t help much.

The reason we haven’t uprated before is Lucy doesn’t have C1 where I do as I have taken the test for work.

I added everything up when we went to France Easter and had to finally admit defeat. We either have a solo driver and uprate or accept we are illegal and risk a fine. I don’t risk fines, so……..

Contacted Dee at Van Weight Engineering, sent all the details off. They confirmed I could go to 3850KG with a paper exercise only. I know I have to watch the axle weights as I only had another 100kg on the rear axle. That’s fine though as we all sit right at the front.

Paid the fee, couple of days later all documents arrived with guidance how to sort it. Will be going to Post Office tomorrow to send the pack off and the plate is on the way. To reverse the process if we sell, is easy as well.

Tax is bizarrely cheaper.

We are covered for breakdown with the Nationwide Flex plus, LEZ might be an issue but we don’t tend to enter them. Same with toll roads in France.

Lucy not being able to drive is a pain, but then she couldn’t tow the caravan either and we managed. If it gets a real pain, she can do the test too.

The whole process has been very easy so far and I will recoup the cost in 3 years with the cheaper tax. For anyone thinking of doing it, VWE were very quick and helpful.

Just need the DVLA to sort the bits now.

Bearing in mind it had a 620KG payload when manufactured, you can see how ridiculous a 300KG payload is for a four berth motorhome. The 970KG we now have should be enough.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Be prepared for a long wait from DVLA. Recently took 7 weeks to get my V5 back. Got it back mid April 2023 just in time for travel to Europe.
Thankfully, or not, we aren’t going abroad again till next Easter. :-(

I was warned it could be a while so it’s good to know the information is accurate. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A little bit like your road tax, depending on the age of your motorhome, the LEZ zones could be free because now PHG, toll roads will stay the same. I know, bizarre.
I was surprised already that I could enter the ULEZ for a tenner.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last van was a 2014 Exsis i678 we uprated as we couldn't run it at 3500 with just the two of us at 120kg.

The 620kg payload is for the basic van which means no komfort pack which includes driver door and lots of other extras.

The Compactline we have on order has a 100 or 200 kg more payload than an Exsis but we have still ordered it on the maxi chassis giving 1350 kg payload.
Got our medicals on Saturday to renew our C1's.

With you application to DVLA make sure you tell them in words of one symbol you want the MAM changing as well as the Revenue weight.
DVLA have it down to a fine art of putting the Revenue weight at 3850 but leave the MAM at 3500.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Lucy not being able to drive is a pain, but then she couldn’t tow the caravan either and we managed.
In 34 x years of camping, Rita has never towed the caravan, nor driven the MH, even though she is qualified to do so. It's not been a problem for us, but both my vehicle insurer and breakdown insurer are fully aware that there wouldn't be another driver available, should I be unable to drive due to illness or an accident.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm a bit rusty on the legal nicities but couldn't you have kept the van at 3500kgs and attached a trailer.
Something is ringing a bell in my brain that says that even though the train weight is more than 3500kgs a person without C1 can now tow such an outfit.
(or did I dream that? )

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
With you application to DVLA make sure you tell them in words of one symbol you want the MAM changing as well as the Revenue weight.
DVLA have it down to a fine art of putting the Revenue weight at 3850 but leave the MAM at 3500.

I do have the feeling the DVLA will deliver on their reputation, I will update the thread when they eventually return it.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I'm a bit rusty on the legal nicities but couldn't you have kept the van at 3500kgs and attached a trailer.
Something is ringing a bell in my brain that says that even though the train weight is more than 3500kgs a person without C1 can now tow such an outfit.
(or did I dream that? )
You are right, we could have towed a trailer up to the train weight allowed.

Alas the model we have needs a massive towbar which I think weighs 100KG on its own as it needs to go to the chassis rails. Plus some places we end up, there is no way I could reverse a luggage trailer out. 😂

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Did you weigh the rear axle prior to up-plating. You may not have quite as much wriggle room as you hoped but fingers crossed you can get some weight forwards 👍

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Did you weigh the rear axle prior to up-plating. You may not have quite as much wriggle room as you hoped but fingers crossed you can get some weight forwards 👍
I did, I have another 100KG when fully laden. Should be enough as all the seats are at the front and the garage was full of the stuff we would normally take.

The fresh tank is at the rear and that was brimmed, there was only me up front.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If your Mrs is on your insurance you'll need to tell them and remove her, same with breakdown, you may find this means your premiums increase unfortunately.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If your Mrs is on your insurance you'll need to tell them and remove her, same with breakdown, you may find this means your premiums increase unfortunately.
It’s her insurance.

I will call them when the paperwork comes back.

She had a little oops in the car last year so it might actually go down. ☹️

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It’s her insurance.

I will call them when the paperwork comes back.

She had a little oops in the car last year so it might actually go down. ☹️
Ohhhhh ... not sure if that's gonna open a can of worms for you ... I assume the NCD is hers so removing her from the insurance could be a costly exercise despite her bump. Might have been an idea to check it before uprating.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Ohhhhh ... not sure if that's gonna open a can of worms for you ... I assume the NCD is hers so removing her from the insurance could be a costly exercise despite her bump. Might have been an idea to check it before uprating.
I think I can get the full NCD through work as we self insure and they can provide a certificate. I hope……. 🤦🏼

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Had our van up graded to 4000kg as we have had all the upgrades to the suspension and tyres, now have cheaper road tax why lord only knows, but have an electric scooter and platform on the MH now, and guess what as the base from the factory is still 3040kg we can still do 70mph so i am told but never do still stick to the PHG speed limits.
I am sure if that is not right someone will let me know, lol

Yorkshirefreckles

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F
Exp
Forever
When we got the Motorhome, first thing I did was weigh it. It’s a Hymer Exsis I 678 and had a huge payload relatively.

When we got it 4 years ago, the kids were small and we used campsites as we had moved from caravanning.

Fast forward a few years to now.

We know we like moving around and don’t use campsites. We therefore usually travel with full water. The kids are now as big as we are and we have another 30KG dog.

I weighed it again last year, it was full to the brim of everything except shopping, Lucy and the kids. It was 3460KG. This meant travelling with no water or dumping some kit. Out came the paddle boards and climbing gear. I considered dumping Lucy and the kids but apparently that wasn’t an option. :)

I would always stress when shopping about how much we were buying and staying off grid was impossible unless we travelled over weight. We also couldn’t take the paddle boards or climbing gear, or even chairs.

I had contemplated taking the awning off, but we do use it occasionally and it wouldn’t help much.

The reason we haven’t uprated before is Lucy doesn’t have C1 where I do as I have taken the test for work.

I added everything up when we went to France Easter and had to finally admit defeat. We either have a solo driver and uprate or accept we are illegal and risk a fine. I don’t risk fines, so……..

Contacted Dee at Van Weight Engineering, sent all the details off. They confirmed I could go to 3850KG with a paper exercise only. I know I have to watch the axle weights as I only had another 100kg on the rear axle. That’s fine though as we all sit right at the front.

Paid the fee, couple of days later all documents arrived with guidance how to sort it. Will be going to Post Office tomorrow to send the pack off and the plate is on the way. To reverse the process if we sell, is easy as well.

Tax is bizarrely cheaper.

We are covered for breakdown with the Nationwide Flex plus, LEZ might be an issue but we don’t tend to enter them. Same with toll roads in France.

Lucy not being able to drive is a pain, but then she couldn’t tow the caravan either and we managed. If it gets a real pain, she can do the test too.

The whole process has been very easy so far and I will recoup the cost in 3 years with the cheaper tax. For anyone thinking of doing it, VWE were very quick and helpful.

Just need the DVLA to sort the bits now.

Bearing in mind it had a 620KG payload when manufactured, you can see how ridiculous a 300KG payload is for a four berth motorhome. The 970KG we now have should be enough.
Love that you've posted this. I've just downsized to a smaller MH and am worried that, at 3500kg, it won't give me enough payload. Haven't had time to get it on a weigh bridge yet, but I do need to, just to see what I'm carrying. However, I was expecting to have to update and was wondering where to go for that. Pleased that you've given a recommendation - I'll definitely look into that company if I do decide to update.

I would also say that I've had a LOT of dealings with DVLA recently, disposing of cars and MHs & moving private registrations around and they've been incredibly quick with the V5s. They've only taken a few days every time and I've been very pleased with their responsiveness. I did everything online, which I found really easy and DVLA were extremely helpful if I had to phone them with a query (y)

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We might do that if it proves a pain.

I am hoping the consultation last year on abolishing the C1 comes through, we can all hope. :)
Wish all you like but if it’s down to politicians they just love consultations. Decisions - not on your nelly!

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
The whole thing is a load of nonsense that keeps people in jobs. It needs root and branch overhaul but suspect the DVLA would oppose that all the way. Making things simpler and easier to administer is not good fosr jobs.

Reactions: DT
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When we left home we were under the GVW with full fuel, water and gas. I wouldnt like to guess now with a 'drop" of wine on board.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we left home we were under the GVW with full fuel, water and gas. I wouldnt like to guess now with a 'drop" of wine on board.
We came back with 44 bottles of wine, 9 bottles of sprits & about 55 cans & bottles of beer & about 40kg of rocks 'er indoors picked up :giggle:
I still reckon we had 100 to 200kg spare

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Many companies will accept transference of NCD between married partners

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back