Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi all,

Has anybody got any advice or comments on having a new windscreen fitted to a Fiat Ducato?

After 48 years of driving it has happened to me, I have a cracked screen.

Doug...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
should be covered by your insurers, check that you don't have windscren cover. Most policies do with a csmall excess, then its a case of hello autoglass, please fix it. :thumb:

M

motoroamer

Deleted User
windscreen

Hi I had a windscreen replaced an a 08 Ducato, I had to get the fitters back 2 times as they made an ar*e of a job,

Things to watch out for,

They broke the plastic clips that hold the scuttle panel on easily allowing water ingress to engine bay - not good on new Ducato

They had to remove bonnet and did not replace correctly - was difficult to open

A post trims fell off whilst driving down the road

Got the adhesive on the roof lining

This van was only 3 months old! :Angry:

Keep 'em peeled!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi I had a windscreen replaced an a 08 Ducato, I had to get the fitters back 2 times as they made an ar*e of a job,

Things to watch out for,

They broke the plastic clips that hold the scuttle panel on easily allowing water ingress to engine bay - not good on new Ducato

They had to remove bonnet and did not replace correctly - was difficult to open

A post trims fell off whilst driving down the road

Got the adhesive on the roof lining

This van was only 3 months old! :Angry:

Keep 'em peeled!

Who was the company that did the work and did they ask you to sign anything when they finished the job?

M

motoroamer

Deleted User
Sorry wont mention the name,no papers to sign but had to give cheque for excess first and after they said 'all done see you' and drove off.

Check with your insurance co who the fitters are and check them out.:Eeek:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi just about to have a new windscreen on my A Class Laika, via insurance by autoglass.

Cost about £3000- £3500, had it made within a week, I hope it goes okay they are getting someone in to fit the screen who is a bus and coach expert, so heres keeping fingers cross.

The vehicle has had a new windscreen before our time, and it wasnt a great job.

Kind regards
Pat and Neil

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi just about to have a new windscreen on my A Class Laika, via insurance by autoglass.

Cost about £3000- £3500, had it made within a week, I hope it goes okay they are getting someone in to fit the screen who is a bus and coach expert, so heres keeping fingers cross.

The vehicle has had a new windscreen before our time, and it wasnt a great job.

Kind regards
Pat and Neil

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
phew, the beneifits of a coach built::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can put a little bit more info with your message, I dont have a clue as to the meaning of (RAC Autoglass)

Doug..

click here <<Autoglass>> book online, they then ring you back within the hour to confirm and ask a few questions so they can get the screen in stock.

accepted by the majority of insurers but they will tell you if yours is one that doesnt accept autoglass.

they will come to you at home/work at no extra charge to yourself or do the job in their workshop.

you just pay the insurance excess......mine was £50 for my vauxhall corsa....the true cost was £375 to my insurance co

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Had a crack in my Dethleffs A class which was replaced by Autoglass. Excellent job, especially as the original windscreen leaked, the replacement didn't.
It took a week to get the windscreen, but it is pretty huge, and it was covered by the insurance (AA). Could have had the chip repaired but it was right on the edge and I didn't see it before it was too late.

Hooray for Autoglass:clap:

The Ducato windscreen is probably in stock so should be no problem.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: John,true cost £375 you got robbed or rather insurance did :ROFLMAO:
Last year vw lt pick up (like a sprinter) £150 all in not on insurance-out of yellow pages--came out and fitted in the same day after a morning call,similar prices from 3 other firms but next day :thumb: was going to get one from scrappys until we asked price :thumb:
terry

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Our windscreen is not much bigger than the Iveco Daily it was based on, before I even told autoglass it was an A class, he said that they had repaired a few other motorhomes and they had worked out at £3,000.

I think some people are making good money out of this, but ultimately it will put the cost of insurances up for A classes.

I just hope they do a good job as I dont want the hassle of chasing up a bad job.

kind regards Pat

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi just got back with my new windscreen, looks like a great job, it ended up costing £1750 which is a bit of reduction, well thats how much the insurance company are paying.

I was a bit worried as there was still snow on top this morning, as we had some snow late last night, so it was a bit wet for the guys to work on.

All in all it looks a lot neater job than what was there before, but only time and use will tell if its great, heres hoping, fingers crossed, legs crossed, eyes crossed.

Now for the MOT in a couple of weeks.

Kind regards Pat and Neil

The Kar-Mann

Free Member
Jan 23, 2008
in a wood
Funster No
Exp
3 years
We were stoned on the motorway in our CI last year ( fiat screen ) ins wanted £1.000,
Geoff Cox motorhomes who we had the motorhome from £250.00, only thing we had to do was have fiat re do the scuttle modification again because they had sealed it to the screen.
G Cox number is 01332781562 next to Denby pottery.
Say Andrew with the Karmann passedit on if you use him.
I did not go through the insurance it would of cost me more in excess.
ANDY

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back