Fiat Ducato swivel seat help (3 Viewers)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Use the bolts for the ones you want through the seat belt sockets you require. If hole is too small drill them bigger. Photo's might help as well
& welcome
a 10 minute job with the right tools

Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
I hope it's OK to add to this thread rather than start a new one!
I have just fitted new lowered seat bases (from Jennings) in my 2015 Ducato X250 Wildax Con4 to compensate for the swivel mechanism raising the seats up.
It's taking ages as it involved chopping a floorboard to allow the new bases to fit - different arrangement to the original sadly - and also the seats are flippin' heavy to move around - or at least they are for an old fart like me.
I am on the final stint and went to fit the heated seat panel and switch this morning and no way is it going to be a straightforward job.
I am sure that I am not the first to stumble across this and would love to know if other owners have found a solution please?
PS I have emailed Jennings to see if they have a solution but am not holding my breath!

Heated seat switch.jpg

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are a three of options that I can think of immediately:

1. Cut the rear lug off the panel and see if it will sit flush, if not then you'd need to cut the top bit off as well to make a snug fit then fasion a way to fix it as you'll have removed the fixing 'hole' section.​
2. Make a mounting panel to fit on the side of the seat (eg plywood and cover with material/paint etc) with a 'step' at the bottom for the part that goes on the bar to sit over and a cut slot for the rear lug the use the existing fixing 'hole' to attach it (along with some double sided tape/velcro etc.​
3. Make a smaller mounting panel (probably just a piece of plywood cut to shape) but instead of fitting the whole panel just remove the seat control and mount that in it instead.​

My preference would be the 3rd as the 1st would butcher the panel so if you wanted to put the original seat bases back in the future it would be difficult and the 2nd would be more work than the 3rd and not look as good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Simple? If you're one of those blokes that throw tractor tyres about for fun like in "Worlds Strongest Man"
For mere mortals I can tell that those seats ain't light.
Good morning

And do.nt forget there might be an earth wire to connect and check the battery height if it is underneath. there are some very awkward bolts to undo and everything is then when completed to comply with construction and use regulations. and can be and MOT fail

Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
I got a quick reply from Jennings : "Thank you for the pictures, glad you got them quickly and installed. Unfortunately we have never come across this issue before. The only solution would be to trim the plastics to suit or re mount the switch in a different position. Also maybe a google search will bring up some help if others have encountered the same issue on the Ducato forums."
The toolbox is now a very tight squeeze under the passenger seat. Haven't tried the tray under the drivers seat yet but I think that'll be OK. Fortunately no batteries or other gubbins fitted to get in the way.
I also have the challenge of working out a new fixing for the bed support/footrest plate as they no longer fit. The photo shows the original fitting but no room on the new bases so a but of chopping and welding needed!
I watched a few YouTube videos on fitting the lower bases and didn't see anyone else with these issues.

Foot rest.jpg

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Please remember to re check the four bolts used to fasten the swivel to the base and the four bolts from the seat to the swivel after you have been out in the van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Fashion a replacement panel from cardboard as a template, then have one 3d printed to look like OEM with the button installed. Then IF you chose to go back to the original bases, you have not destroyed and of the parts

Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
There are a three of options that I can think of immediately:

1. Cut the rear lug off the panel and see if it will sit flush, if not then you'd need to cut the top bit off as well to make a snug fit then fasion a way to fix it as you'll have removed the fixing 'hole' section.​
2. Make a mounting panel to fit on the side of the seat (eg plywood and cover with material/paint etc) with a 'step' at the bottom for the part that goes on the bar to sit over and a cut slot for the rear lug the use the existing fixing 'hole' to attach it (along with some double sided tape/velcro etc.​
3. Make a smaller mounting panel (probably just a piece of plywood cut to shape) but instead of fitting the whole panel just remove the seat control and mount that in it instead.​

My preference would be the 3rd as the 1st would butcher the panel so if you wanted to put the original seat bases back in the future it would be difficult and the 2nd would be more work than the 3rd and not look as good.

Thanks for your help. I went for option 3 and used thin plywood painted in smooth black Hammerite. I have made a similar piece for the driver's side which I am in the process of fitting. As the metal in the new seat base is so think, I have drilled and tapped holes to use 6mm Allen-headed bolts - which I may paint black.

Side panel -  fitted.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back