Fiat Ducato oil change periods (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Hi. We have a 2011 Fiat Ducato 130 multyjet which we have had for one year. I'm thinking its about time it had an oil change as I am about to go off on a long tour next week.
My question is do they have some sort of computerised system to tell you when it requires an oil change like most modern cars. My Merc and the wife's Toyota tells you when an oil change is due but I can't see anything like that on the MH.
All I can see is the setting for the clock, Limiting the speed setting, limiting the buzzer setting and that's about it. Can't find anything about when the service is due. Its coming up for fourteen thousand kilometers since we have had it. It was serviced just before we got it.
Is there anyway of checking when an oil change is due.
I should mention its done 68,000 Kilometers.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Get it done.

But I'd worry more about when the cam belt (unless it's a chain) was last replaced.

A lot more damage from a broken belt than running too long between oil changes

?

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Get it done.

But I'd worry more about when the cam belt (unless it's a chain) was last replaced.

A lot more damage from a broken belt than running too long between oil changes

?
Thanks, Cam belt was changed a year ago at 54,000 kilometers when it had a full service and oil change. I do like to keep my vehicles up to date on there servicing, but I can't see anything about when it's due an oil change.
Many Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
According to Autodata the oil pressure light should flash when its due. Same happens on the Fiat 500 and a few other Fiats we get in for servicing.

Its not an oil quality sensor, just time or mileage based

If it needs resetting then it has to be done via a diagnostic tool. The cars can go into limp mode if you don't reset and ignore it.

TBH if its done 14k since last oil change and you are going away anythime soon I'd get it done for peace of mind

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
According to Autodata the oil pressure light should flash when its due. Same happens on the Fiat 500 and a few other Fiats we get in for servicing.

Its not an oil quality sensor, just time or mileage based

If it needs resetting then it has to be done via a diagnostic tool. The cars can go into limp mode if you don't reset and ignore it.

TBH if its done 14k since last oil change and you are going away anythime soon I'd get it done for peace of mind

I have found these on Youtube, which I thought might be useful info.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have the same Engine and year. Your service manual will give you the service intervals. It's basically every two years for oil, and filters. As you had the full monty last year, nothing to be concerned with for this year. When I last had my engine service (Fiat Morocco) this year, they also reset the on board service computer which supposedly flags up when your next service is due. Great Engine by the way. When we purchased ours in 2011 it was coming to an end of its design life and any design faults, recalls rectifications were all history. It's been faultless since and only got 60,000 miles on it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The official Fiat service intervals are every 28,000 miles - 45,000 Km. That's the only time the light will come on.
I change mine every year at around 8,000 miles but the service light will still come on every 28,000 miles. Mine has to be reset by computer but NOT at Fiat dealers.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Change ours every 12 months, not big mileage but cold winters probably take their tole on the oil quality. Filter, oil and plug are about £50

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Annual oil change is what I have always done, regardless of mileage.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There are many on here I believe that are set in there ways (old School) and do not accept the recommendations/knowledge of the designers and producers of modern engines and oils, who recommend long service intervals between oil changes. Technology has come a long way over the years and for some it's either rejected because they do not accept it and believe they know better, or more than likely this is the way they have done it for years and years and years and it worked then so will work now , regardless of the unnecessary and extra costs associated with this mind set. It is what it is and I suspect will continue with future generations and their view of how things should be done in the future.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
There are many on here I believe that are set in there ways (old School) and do not accept the recommendations/knowledge of the designers and producers of modern engines and oils, who recommend long service intervals between oil changes. Technology has come a long way over the years and for some it's either rejected because they do not accept it and believe they know better, or more than likely this is the way they have done it for years and years and years and it worked then so will work now , regardless of the unnecessary and extra costs associated with this mind set. It is what it is and I suspect will continue with future generations and their view of how things should be done in the future.

Like Iveco for instance, who designed and produced the multijet 2.3 engine in conjunction with Fiat, and use it in the Daily van for which they advertise "up to 60,000km" between oil changes. But then they say if the engine does less than 20,000km (12,500 miles) a year, the oil must be changed at least annually, and if it is not driven for 3 months, it must be changed before any further use.

The most special thing about modern oils is that they are designed to minimise friction to reduce emissions as much as possible and cut the fines that manufacturers have to pay for exceeding averaged emissions ratings across their entire production.

Strange that they nearly all specify higher viscocity oils outside of the European market!

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have the same Engine and year. Your service manual will give you the service intervals. It's basically every two years for oil, and filters. As you had the full monty last year, nothing to be concerned with for this year. When I last had my engine service (Fiat Morocco) this year, they also reset the on board service computer which supposedly flags up when your next service is due. Great Engine by the way. When we purchased ours in 2011 it was coming to an end of its design life and any design faults, recalls rectifications were all history. It's been faultless since and only got 60,000 miles on it.

Many thanks for the info. I also like the engine and the ride. However I can't say the same for the gearbox. I had a 2009 with only 25,000 miles when the synchro went. 2300€ gearbox out and stripped.
Our current one the 2011 with only 37,000 miles the clutch hydraulic's went earlier this year which is also in the gearbox. 1600€. They use the same gearbox in the Citroen and Peugeot which also suffer from the same problems. It's a pity Fiat haven't sorted the gearbox problems out as it would otherwise be a lovely vehicle.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User

I hear and understand what your saying. I am of the mindset that doesn't want to throw money to the wind unnecessarily. I ran a Mercedes Sprinter van which had 860,000 kilometers on it. I sold it to a friend who is still running it so it has more mileage on it. I only took it in for oil changes and servicing at the recommended intervals which was about every thirty six thousand kilometers. I think one also has to bear in mind things like vehicle usage, how long standing and not being used and also things like the climate, amount of dust and sand in the air and humidity. Its also better to do an oil change sooner rather than later. I ran a Defender and the service manual gave oil change intervals for Europe and desert/dusty conditions. Having read all the comments I think I will leave the oil change for later as I've only done 14,000 kilometers which by today's standards should be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Hi, It's a T74 Hold on. I'm not sure. Its a Bavaria T 74 Not sure if you mean a Ducato reference number or a Bavaria number.
i was asking what bavaria model number yours was as i had a t72 but i see you are in france and i dont think it was sold there

Attachments

• IMG_20170314_135643.jpg
    IMG_20170314_135643.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun