Fiat Ducato - (all) gear shifting is hard, requires effort (yes smooth; not grinding) (1 Viewer)

ricksanchez

Free Member
May 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I'm about to buy a Fiat Ducato multijet 2006 (in Germany)

I took it to a ride, and discovered 3 "strange" things:

1. shifting gears (all, incl. rev) requires effort. maybe 3x the effort for other vans/cars (i've driven maybe 10 so far).
The push doesn't feel like rust / no grinding or skipping or ridgy - just a hard push.
The motor & the car's underbelly looks very good, i.e. no rust, no dirty clean, tidy.
Owner (private) says he got it this way,
and that the clutch was replaced last year.

2. The foot on the clutch is touching the wheel stem(?).
I feel the wheel rotating on my shoe, the one that's on the clutch.
is this is normal

3. The RPM sounds quite low. Owner says he jump starts without pressing the gas pedal -> just releasing the clutch slowly until it starts moving.
This makes sense?

(i'm not a native english speaker; this looks like a very helpful forum though, hence).

Thanksalot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
1. The gearchange probably needs new cables they are about £300 in the UK.
2. probably depends on the size of your feet it is fairly close but I can't check as I have an auto.
3. Not sure what you mean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

ricksanchez

Free Member
May 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
About #3:
the engine has X rotation per minute while on neutral. The car mechanic can tweak that, for numerous reasons.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I had a similar tweak done to my motorbike, and then the engine's hummm (on neutral) sounds lower.
Another side effect is, the treashold for engine turn off is higher (i.e. it will turn off faster when you ride slow without gas).

About #2
Not a big shoe. Again, I had ridden a dozen cars & vans, in none of them I felt the wheel turning.
(See attachment for more details about my shoe size)

#1: thank you

Attachments

• Idiocracy_(2006)-part01.mp4
    963.9 KB
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'm not sure of that model, but on one of our previous vehicles, I had to replace the universal joint on the steering column, it had a plastic shroud that was fixed to the floor and I never refitted it, so occasionally your foot would contact the steering shaft. Maybe someone has removed this ?

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
There are two gear change cables, one for across the box in neutral and one for engaging gears. So is it stiff across the box, only up & down or both?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Re the gear change - my Boxer needs a lot more effort than I think it should, not helped by it being biased towards left hand drive, but I've just put it down to it being how it's supposed to be. Maybe not - I've found replacements from around £80. I'll see if my tame mechanic can fit them for a sensible price. If things improve, thank you in advance for raising the point ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back