Fiat chassis (2023). Electric parking brake not disengaging automatically (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2018
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
We have a Hymer Free 600 on a Fiat chassis (2023)

Sometimes the electric parking brake does not disengage from a hill start. The van rocks forward on the suspension. I have to release the parking brake manually and quickly switch my right foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

Because it is intermittent, I have not been able to demonstrate it to the dealer.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990

Sometimes the electric parking brake does not disengage from a hill start. The van rocks forward on the suspension. I have to release the parkinge brake manually and quickly switch my right foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

Because it is intermittent, I have not been able to demonstrate it to the dealer.

I hate my electric parking brake, it takes a bit of getting used to. On hills I found I was trying to use it like a manual brake by holding the switch and trying to accelerate and having the same results as you. Now i just leave the switch alone and accelerate off and let the brake sort itself out.

Sometimes the electric parking brake does not disengage from a hill start. The van rocks forward on the suspension. I have to release the parking brake manually and quickly switch my right foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Not had any problem with mine on a 2022 Fiat. Was sceptical with the Electric brake on my now 10 year old XC90 Volvo and it has been trouble free. So far the Fiat has performed perfectly. I wonder if it needs a CPU update at a Fiat Professional Dealer!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dusty100
Jul 31, 2018
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Hi all

Sorry for the delay in replying. We went away.

Its a manual gearbox.

The dashboard software was updated about 2 months ago to fix another issue.

Normal process on hill starts
1. Brake to a stop and engage the clutch
2. Engage electric brake (pulling the switch once, and letting go of the switch)
3. Accelerate and release the clutch, and the electric brake automatically releases, and the van moves forward as expected

Faulty process on occasional hill starts
1. Brake to a stop and engage clutch
2. Engage electric brake
3. Accelerate and release the clutch
4. Electric brake remains on and the van rolls forward on the suspension. This happened yesterday once. I tried to record it but after releasing the accelerator and re-engaging the clutch and repeating, the electric brake releases and the van then moved forward as expected!

I will follow the advice in my other thread and use another sports camera to permanently record it as evidence (as yes, we are under warranty).

However, I was interested to see if anyone has any advice on this as we had a lot of trips to our local Fiat garage to solve the last issue.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
If it has hill start assist, you should be able to:

1. Brake to a stop. engage clutch. hold van on footbrake
2. Move foot from brake. don't touch the throttle yet.
3. within a second or two of (2), accelerate away and release clutch

(No need for handbrake. At least, that's how it happens on our citroen manual).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back