Fiat Camper Assist (4 Viewers)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We are travelling to France and Spain next week and I hav ejust thought about breakdown cover.

It's a new van (6months old). Is Fiat Camper Assist automatic? Should I have registered somewhere for acamper assist?

Also, would they cover something like a flat tyre? Obviously that is not a warranty type breakdown so not sure how that affects it.

Anyone used Fiat Camper Assist? Is it ok or should I be looking at another breakdown cover too?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fiat Camper Assist is fine, if you bought from a UK dealer you don't need to do anything, if you self imported you need to register via a Fiat dealer.

Upvote 1

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'm thinking for the sake of less than £100 I might take out cover just to be sure. I guess it would be more extensive in terms of hotels, car hire, repatriation etc anyway.

Some issues I have noted whilst looking around though. Some breakdown companies say only up to 7 metres (ours is 7.5) and some say up to 3500KG ( I've upgraded mine to 4350KG.)

Technically I may still be 3500 they would only be able to tell by the V5. Doubt any recovery operator would check. They might notice if it was half a metre too long though.

Where do longer/heavier motorhomes go to?
This is the link what you are cover for in case you haven't seen it which includes accommodation, it looks pretty standard to a number of breakdown insurance policies

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Well handover in the middle of lockdown may have been a little limited however...

I am aware of the cover but I needed to check. Two questions really...

1. I haven't registered my details anywhere - should I have? I have tried adding my MH to an account here but it recognises my VIN and then says it doesn't and it is older than 2005. It's a bit of a rubbish website to be honest.

2. Are they any good when broken down in the middle of Spain and as I said..... would they cover a no warranty situation such as a flat tyre?

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We Used Camper Assist when we had a blow out on a tyre no problem although it was in the UK they sent out a Rac van. we always carry a spare wheel and tyre so he just had to change the wheel.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Well handover in the middle of lockdown may have been a little limited however...

1. I haven't registered my details anywhere - should I have? I have tried adding my MH to an account here but it recognises my VIN and then says it doesn't and it is older than 2005. It's a bit of a rubbish website to be honest.

2. Are they any good when broken down in the middle of Spain and as I said..... would they cover a no warranty situation such as a flat tyre?
OK this happened to me on our new Motorhome, the dealer did not have any idea how to register the vehicle, he said the DVLA would do it (No they do not) he then said ah Hymer will do it (No they Don't)

I then had limited time to get the Fiat part registered with Fiat (for extended warranty), the Motorhome was not recognised by the Fiat dealerships and no your break down service will not kick in, or any warranty claim because as far a sFiat is concerned the vehicle has to been sold !

If you would like 1st class service to get this fixed Speak with simon.potter@adamsmorey.com 02380 663000 he is a 1st class highly knowlagble service manager and cant rate him enough

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Having seen the problems posted on here by someone who used Mercedes Assist and is now having to sort out hotel costs, I would always get complete breakdown cover from something like CHMC’s Red Pennant and use them in the first instance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I'm thinking for the sake of less than £100 I might take out cover just to be sure. I guess it would be more extensive in terms of hotels, car hire, repatriation etc anyway.

Some issues I have noted whilst looking around though. Some breakdown companies say only up to 7 metres (ours is 7.5) and some say up to 3500KG ( I've upgraded mine to 4350KG.)

Technically I may still be 3500 they would only be able to tell by the V5. Doubt any recovery operator would check. They might notice if it was half a metre too long though.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You will need to check the small print to be sure of this. There are tales of woe to be found for most of these recovery services. You should also make sure that your motorhome has been registered for warranty, some dealers only do half the job i.e. they stop at selling it to you.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just ask your local Fiat dealer if they can find your van on their system. If they can, then you're fine. If they can't, ask them to do it for you.

Would have thought it might be possible over the phone, but equally, if not too far away, might be worth calling in.

Hope you get it sorted. (y)

Oh and Camping and Caravanning Club / RAC 'Arrival' breakdown cover is suitable for any size and any weight - no limits. Service can be patchy, but generally OK. Also, not cheap.

Upvote 0
Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Our warranty had not been registered - we found out when we took it to Travelworld for a recall notice. We managed to get it sorted through our original dealer and Travelworld but of course had missed the opportunity for extended warranty by that time (I wasn't even aware of that option!)

Breakdown cover - we were with ADAC for over 10 years and struggled to find a reasonable option when they withdrew cover. We have gone for the Nationwide Flex Plus current account. £13 per month for full European breakdown cover with very generous size limits for us in any vehicle, worldwide family travel insurance and worldwide family mobile phone insurance. I was initially reluctant to consider Nationwide as we didn't want to change bank accounts but you can open it as an additional account with no requirements for minimum payments in - just need to make sure you have enough to cover the monthly fee.

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020

When I had the 7.6 mtr auto-trail I used Caravan Guard for insurance. A lot of it is due to the size of recovery truck they use. AA wouldn’t cover it but Green flag do.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

As others have said you don't need to register. Be useful to have your chassis number to hand as that's how they identify the van

Excellent cover in Spain. Probably better than UK. They will recover you if you have a flat and they will change the wheel and tyre if you have a spare

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
When I had the 7.6 mtr auto-trail I used Caravan Guard for insurance. A lot of it is due to the size of recovery truck they use. AA wouldn’t cover it but Green flag do.

Green Flag seems to be restricted to 3500KG and 7 metres.

Caravan Guard - seems to be part of their insurance cover -can't seem to get a separate quote??? Is your insurance with them too?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most breakdown services are restricted to 3500kg unless commercial. But you get over this by taking cover via an insurance company or a club.

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020

Caravan Guard - seems to be part of their insurance cover -can't seem to get a separate quote??? Is your insurance with them too?
insurance was with caravan guard , recovery with CMCC who used Green flag for over 7m vehicles

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Well, after doing a little searching I came across recommendations for Nationwide Flexplus account. I have a standard nationwide account so upgrading took minutes online.

£13 a month which gives me and the wife travel insurance, breakdown for all our cars, including up to 8 metre and 7.5 ton motorhome and mobile phone cover too. As we needed travel insurance anyway it was a no brainer. Just gives a little more confidence rather than just the Fiat assist.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Bought a new Burstner from Southdowns Sept 2019. Whilst in France Dec 2019 called out Fiat Camper Assist. Fitter turned up with a lorry big enough to carry our A Class 4000 kg 7.5 mtr. Fixed the problem at our cottage all fine.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2021
Lymington
Funster No
MH
fiat sunliving S65SL
Exp
B class
I bought my van new and called Fiat camper assist for information and had to send proof of ownership of the vehicle. I assume I would have had a problem if I needed help and had not done this.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I bought my van new and called Fiat camper assist for information and had to send proof of ownership of the vehicle. I assume I would have had a problem if I needed help and had not done this.
Is that another case of the dealer not registering the sale with Fiat?

Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

We are with Green Flag through the Caravan and Motorhome Club and there are no weight or length restrictions.

We had a problem last Sunday and they sent a big commercial tow truck to get us home, although in the end it was fixed at the roadside. We are 5.6 tons and nearly 8 metres.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
We are with Green Flag through the Caravan and Motorhome Club and there are no weight or length restrictions.

We had a problem last Sunday and they sent a big commercial tow truck to get us home, although in the end it was fixed at the roadside. We are 5.6 tons and nearly 8 metres.
Only UK cover though, not Europe (n)

Green Flag do Europe if you go direct but then it's size/weight limited.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As others have said you don't need to register. Be useful to have your chassis number to hand as that's how they identify the van

Excellent cover in Spain. Probably better than UK. They will recover you if you have a flat and they will change the wheel and tyre if you have a spare
Interesting if you mean that you don't have to register the sale of a new Fiat Duccatto, the dealers can see that the vehicle has been made but not sold. If the vehicle has not been sold there is no warranty start date, if there is no warranty start date you cannot get breakdown cover from Fiat or any warranty claim covered.....All of which means hassle in trying to get something sorted which could take Many Hours, Days or Weeks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Interesting if you mean that you don't have to register the sale of a new Fiat Duccatto, the dealers can see that the vehicle has been made but not sold. If the vehicle has not been sold there is no warranty start date, if there is no warranty start date you cannot get breakdown cover from Fiat or any warranty claim covered.....All of which means hassle in trying to get something sorted which could take Many Hours, Days or Weeks.

The warranty date could start from date of registration - this would be available to Fiat???

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The warranty date could start from date of registration - this would be available to Fiat???
What you are assuming is that the DVLA notify Fiat that the vehicle has been registered and therefor sold but truly it does not work like that.

Any vehicle could be registered with the DVLA but not sold.

An example is I have a VW Transporter it was registered with the DVLA November 2019, I am the first owner and it was sold to me by the dealer in early March 2020, the warranty starts at the time of purchase which is March 2020 not November 2019........

When I purchased my Hymer from TyneValley the chief order taker at the time told me that the Hymer would notify Fiat, then he told me it was the DVLA who would notify Fiat. So after visiting several Fiat Professional Garages who could see the VIN on the system and said the vehicle had not been sold I contacted Fiat professional Camper and the nice Italian lady put me in touch with Adams Morey who registered the vehicle so the warranty period could start and arranged for the extended Warranty.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back