Fiat 3 litre engine mileage. (1 Viewer)

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Advice please guys. We are looking at a couple of Hymers with the three litre ducato engine. Some have relatively high mileage and I was curious as to if I should be concerned in terms of reliability, and impact on resell value. We had been looking for sub 60k, but have seen vans with circa 90 k. I know a lot will depend on how they have been maintained but what are your thoughts?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The Ducato is a commercial vehicle. They are designed for high mileage. Provided they have followed service history should be OK, assuming there are no signs of other abuse or neglect.

But what is high mileage? A van that has done 10k per annum would be nothing for commercial use, but does indicate the motorhomer preferred to get out and about rather than have it sat on their drive. Has "high mileage" also meant a lot of use of the van interior so that is perhaps a bit worn?

OP
OP
Molly A
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Thanks for your response Kannon Fodda. Both valid points. As I suspected, it will all be down to service history and bills. Internally the vans seem pretty ok, but that kind of mileage on a 10 year old van, for example, would indicate a very enthusiastic owner!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for your response Kannon Fodda. Both valid points. As I suspected, it will all be down to service history and bills. Internally the vans seem pretty ok, but that kind of mileage on a 10 year old van, for example, would indicate a very enthusiastic owner!

Only in terms of the UK, if you look at vans for sale abroad they do get used a lot, not just a 2 week summer holiday.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Mileage wouldn’t bother me on a Diesel. The service history needs checking. As you say 10K per year is not that high on a commercial chassis.
General condition and layout would be the deciding factor for me.
Phil

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
It's based on a van chassis that's been designed to be driven hard by a complete ape.
So long as it's been serviced regularly and correctly, it'll be good for many more miles over 90k

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only downside might be a 90K van will probably have 100K+ if you decide to sell it on again later. The vehicle will be fine but over the magic ton might reduce resale value.

OP
OP
Molly A
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Thanks Phil, was trying to form an opinion based on your valued feedback in order to decide if it was worth schlepping halfway across the country to view!

OP
OP
Molly A
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Thanks guys, the resell value is a consideration as we will be putting about 4-5k on it a year potentially.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I used to know of 2 taxis with over a million mile on them. Then the rules changed, but they were still clean and good runners

As for a high miles van, some parts like steering and drivers seat will be more worn, but in general, if the engine has been maintained and engine oil changed regularly, it should be good for another few hundred thousand miles

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I used to know of 2 taxis with over a million mile on them. Then the rules changed, but they were still clean and good runners

As for a high miles van, some parts like steering and drivers seat will be more worn, but in general, if the engine has been maintained and engine oil changed regularly, it should be good for another few hundred thousand miles
I thought that was average mileage for a Nissan bluebird mini cab. Haha

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We did 60k from new in our previous 2009 3ltr fiat Hymer in 5 years. Never had any issues with the engine. I needed a new oil cooler and windscreen wiper motor, had to replace the fasteners on the air filter housings but that was it. No clutch judder, ran well. If it has the bus type mirrors, check the mountings are secure. They were fitted in a strange way that can go off, secure but slackens.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back