Ferries back from Spain in February (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm currently in Spain and was hoping to book a ferry from Santander or Bilbao sometime after Feb 9th. But it seems there is no availability at all until mid-March, for motorhomes (if I try with a car then I would be able to book).
Someone suggested that the Government has commandeered all the cargo space for emergency shipments after Brexit, but according to the Brittany Ferries website that only affects their other routes. And anyway February is before Brexit.
So, any ideas? I have emailed BF but had no reply yet. Anyone else tried booking recently?

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
If they are full then no chance best bet keep trying as there could be cancellations
Good luck

Deleted User
I'm currently in Spain and was hoping to book a ferry from Santander or Bilbao sometime after Feb 9th. But it seems there is no availability at all until mid-March, for motorhomes (if I try with a car then I would be able to book).
Someone suggested that the Government has commandeered all the cargo space for emergency shipments after Brexit, but according to the Brittany Ferries website that only affects their other routes. And anyway February is before Brexit.
So, any ideas? I have emailed BF but had no reply yet. Anyone else tried booking recently?

BF are not operating the two cruise ferries, Pont Aven and Cap Finistere on these routes for this period and only the Economie service is available.

Don't know the reason, possibly maintenance but this obviously reduces the capacity.

Edit: Pont Aven is on the St Malo route, Cap Finistere looks to be out of service from early Feb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi i am booked to go home mid march from santander and i was limited to 2 crossings and i booked october last year before i came out.
So its not a recent shortage.good luck with getting a booking that suits your plans.5
Cheers cris.

I am booked on cap finistere on 16 march ,unless i have a surprise waiting for me at santander.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I've been considering a quick dash for some pre-Brexit sun.

On 4th Jan there was space for my 6m MH on 5 sailings to Spain between 23-31 Jan and 8 sailings in Feb (4 full).

On 12 Jan there were 4 in Jan and 2 in Feb

Return trips were 0 in Feb and 5 in Mar (4Jan), changing to 0 in Feb and 3 in Mar (12Jan)

By 16Jan, everything was full.

Looks like a longer drive and a cross-Channel ferry!

Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Only a suggestion. Brittany Ferries Santander to Cork. Then Dublin to Holyhead. Otherwise a long drive.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Yes it's all the pre-exit date returnee's have booked them all.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we're on the Cap Finesterre, to bring the van back from Bilbao to Portsmouth 19 March - booked around last October.

As has been mentioned, the Pont Aven, is not doing the Spanish routes, until end of March.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It was always that the Company took the Ferry`s out of service for Dry dock and maintenance between new year and 1st March. It`s the slackest time of year and they did them one at a time. Some years Portsmouth/Bilbao was not available at all. Part of the reason why we used to (have to) "do" the Run down the French Atlantic coast to the Med in January! No fun if it is Snowing!.

OP
OP
quilkin

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for all the responses.
Does the 'economie' service only have space for cars, and not vans/motorhomes? Seems odd that I could book a car.
Not pleased with BF, no response to my email after 2 days. But I'll have to book Roscoff/Plymouth instead, and deal with the extra driving. Hope for no snow!
p.s. going via Ireland - !! - great lateral thinking but its a long way from Holyhead to Cornwall!

Deleted User
Thanks for all the responses.
Does the 'economie' service only have space for cars, and not vans/motorhomes? Seems odd that I could book a car.
Not pleased with BF, no response to my email after 2 days. But I'll have to book Roscoff/Plymouth instead, and deal with the extra driving. Hope for no snow!
p.s. going via Ireland - !! - great lateral thinking but its a long way from Holyhead to Cornwall!

Space on the freight deck may be sold out but cars go on a lower platform that raises up.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Have you phoned them. I always have to, to get a dog friendly cabin as never one available on-line.

Also been on economie a couple of times with the motorhome and have never been parked outside.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The economie does take motorhomes and freight but I presume there are more decks where cars can go if you look at the deck plans due to height etc

wisewords

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Booked on Cap Finistere from Portsmouth to Bilbao on 27 March. I see that they have taken payment balance this morning. Also taking International Driving Permits, green card insurance and enhanced personal insurance in case of no deal Brexit

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
I tried to book that crossing also, in fact, any crossing from Spain in February...I gave up in the end and booked from Ouisterham, Caen....hoping the weather through France is kind

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Booked on Cap Finistere from Portsmouth to Bilbao on 27 March. I see that they have taken payment balance this morning. Also taking International Driving Permits, green card insurance and enhanced personal insurance in case of no deal Brexit

We are also booked on that ferry the same day. Might bump into each other. The balance of our payment was also taken today.

wisewords

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
My wife will have a red carnation between her teeth and I’ll have a rolled up copy of the Telegraph under my right arm!!!!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If the crossing is anything like our last but one, we won’t be leaving our cabin.

We’ll message you on FUN nearer the time of the crossing, so we can have a drink and a chat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back