LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Does anyone ever feel like the suspension on their MH feels like the suspension does not soak up the little bumps in the road like a car does, I have had my MH fitted with rear air suspension and what is termed as comfort springs on the front but it does not feel any better than it did on the old suspension, does reducing the tyre pressures make a difference ???? has anyone tried this or experimented with different settings and does it make a difference or is it dangerous any help would be good.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Does anyone ever feel like the suspension on their MH feels like the suspension does not soak up the little bumps in the road like a car does, I have had my MH fitted with rear air suspension and what is termed as comfort springs on the front but it does not feel any better than it did on the old suspension, does reducing the tyre pressures make a difference ???? has anyone tried this or experimented with different settings and does it make a difference or is it dangerous any help would be good.

The rear leaf springs are totally crap. Have you got real air suspension where youve replaced the springs with air springs, or the added on air bags?

I changed my suspension for full air all round removing the springs completely and the van now drives smoothly and corners like a car.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
does reducing the tyre pressures make a difference ???? has anyone tried this or experimented with different settings and does it make a difference
The vehicle's recommended tyre pressures are usually too high. The best option is to take your MH to a weighbridge, as loaded for a journey and establish front and rear axle weights. Then contact your tyre manufacturer who should be able to advise you what pressure you should use.

There are a few tables of pressures in the "Resources" section, that have been posted for various makes of tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tyre pressures make a big difference as does make of tyres
The recommended pressure for our fronts is 76psi
We have been running 65psi for the past 4 years :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Michelin always seem to advise 80 psi no matter what axle weight information you give them 😟
I've two Agilis needing replacement next year and they won't be Michelin Agilis

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The recommended pressures on the sticker on my mh are very high. I use the ones recommended by the tyre manufacturers for the axle weights. 53 front 69 rear.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

We are on our third Ducato-based motorhome / campervan (2004 X240; 2010 X250; & 2016 X290).

The leaf-spring suspension on all three has felt like a cart at the back, though the current van is significantly better than the first. Obviously, it's a commercial vehicle chassis but nonetheless has frustrated me over the years.

I've researched significantly to see if there were any easy options to soften the rear suspension. But I'd read that the addition of rear air bags doesn't actually fix the problem - as you've discovered.

It sounds as though jezport has found the solution. However, our van is plated at 3,500 kg and I'm not sure it would accommodate the additional weight? Or perhaps the extra weight is offset by removal of the existing suspension and rear springs? Suspect it's a bit expensive too, but could be tempted if it is doable without up-plating our MGW.

In the meantime, I have the tyre pressures reduced significantly, but still just within the recommended range. I guess it helps a little, but certainly doesn't solve the problem. But after more than ten years I've just about got used to living with the harsh ride at the back. I've never really felt the front is too much of an issue.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a Peugeot Boxer which is fitted with a Tyre pressure monitoring system. This is pre-set by Peugeot and requires a Peugeot Main Dealer to re-set if required.

The tyre pressures on the vehicle label suggest 75psi all round which they were set to and it felt like steel cartwheels.

Weighbridge axle weights suggest 56psi front and 62psi rear. I have reduced the pressures accordingly and the ride is much improved although the TPMS means that the “low tyre pressure” warning for all wheels comes up and the warning light stays on. I have been told that Peugeot Main Dealer’s charge over £100 to change the TPMS settings.

Incidentally, on reducing the pressures I noticed that although the vehicle had been supplied with pressures at 75psi the tyres were marked “maximum pressure 69psi”!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Incidentally, on reducing the pressures I noticed that although the vehicle had been supplied with pressures at 75psi the tyres were marked “maximum pressure 69psi”!
Although I don't fully understand, I think the lower maximum tyre pressure marked on the sidewall ie 69 psi, is to meet American standards/requirements, and not relevant in Europe and the UK apparently.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Im in the same boat with my new Peugeot Elddis
Dropped the pressures but the TPMS is ranting at me now

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We run 60 psi on the front and 65 at the rear. Ride is comfey enough.😀

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Our 2005 Autotrail shuddered over bumps. It had the commercial van chassis with leaf springs at the back. When we changed mh to one wih an Alko chassis the change in ride was amazing. It's now much like a car and handles better in corners as it's now lower due to the different chassis.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a Peugeot Boxer which is fitted with a Tyre pressure monitoring system. This is pre-set by Peugeot and requires a Peugeot Main Dealer to re-set if required.

The tyre pressures on the vehicle label suggest 75psi all round which they were set to and it felt like steel cartwheels.

Weighbridge axle weights suggest 56psi front and 62psi rear. I have reduced the pressures accordingly and the ride is much improved although the TPMS means that the “low tyre pressure” warning for all wheels comes up and the warning light stays on. I have been told that Peugeot Main Dealer’s charge over £100 to change the TPMS settings.

I have just done a bit of research, and found this...

Before you try to reset your TPMS light, you should always make sure that you have the tire pressure set as you want them in your vehicle. Use a tire pressure gauge to check the tire pressure. Inflate each tire to its ideal PSI then deflate the tires to zero. Then inflate again and drive for about 10 minutes at various speeds up to 50 mph to manually calibrate the sensors.

This might be the easiest method as it requires you to just drive your car at 50 mph for about 10 miles and the sensors will automatically calibrate themselves after you made sure that the tires have the right tire pressure. Some vehicles require a higher speed and you can also use cruise control to keep the speed constant.

Use a TPMS Reset Tool for Your Vehicle
tpms reset tool

There are a lot of different TPMS reset tools on the market. In some cases, you will have to reprogram the sensors if they have lost their information and you need a TPMS reset tool for this task. With a TPMS reset tool, you can often reset the TPMS light with an easy click of a button of your car. If you are interested in buying a tool like this, I can recommend the Autel TS401 MaxiTPMS Activation Tool Link to Amazon. You can also reset the TPMS light if you have a good OBD2 scanner. Always make sure the tools are compatible with your vehicle before making a purchase.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Jaws
Thanks for the info and links. There is a lot to research now before deciding a way forward.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
No point telling folks what PSI you're running front or rear, or even what tyres you have fitted, it's all about the actual weight of your vehicle (each axle) and what the tyre manufacturer recommends for the tyres.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
No point telling folks what PSI you're running front or rear, or even what tyres you have fitted, it's all about the actual weight of your vehicle (each axle) and what the tyre manufacturer recommends for the tyres.
I disagree - at the very least it might suggest the OP's pressures are high... and worth investigating.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Tyre pressures make a big difference as does make of tyres
The recommended pressure for our fronts is 76psi
We have been running 65psi for the past 4 years :)
Yes, 60psi for us since we bought it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nonsense. Run your tyres at what your comfortable at, I spent weeks running at different pressures till I was happy.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I disagree - at the very least it might suggest the OP's pressures are high... and worth investigating.
Too many variables, weight of vehicle could be 3 tonne or 7.5 tonne, tyres could be all shapes and sizes, to say you're running whatever PSI F+R is pointless, but yeah, I agree that his pressure may be too high.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019

I Set my tyres at 60 psi front 65 psi rear, same vehicle 2007

OP
OP
philmc79

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Our Mh has an Alko chassis so there are no leaf springs not sure what they do when they fit the air springs, but i will check the tyre pressures and adjust as required, Mh is a 2017 and on Michelin tyres.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We're running at 60psi front and 65psi rear for a max axle loading of1850Kg and 2000Kg respec on 215/70 15 van tyres.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Michelin always seem to advise 80 psi no matter what axle weight information you give them 😟
I've two Agilis needing replacement next year and they won't be Michelin Agilis
That’s strange. I contacted Michelin about 6 years ago with the axle weights from a weighbridge. They gave me :front 3.5 bar, rear 5.5 bar, which feel fine to me. Plated at 4250 kg, and ALKO lowline chassis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back